newbie questions thread

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by jacktrash, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Dear newbies: the above is pretty much typical here. Have fun.

• Like x 6
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I feel there should be some kind of easily accessible message that says there's no confirmation email.

• Like x 7
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

put it in the top banner

KINTSUGI: there is no spoon confirmation email

KINTSUGI: the cake confirmation email is a lie

and other such dated memes
    dated like the average membership of the community???

• Like x 11
  4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Could someone explain the etiquette of following other members? It's the sort of thing where I think I would generally feel flattered if on the receiving end and like a stalker if using it myself.

• Like x 1
  5. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

I THINK I STARTED THAT. I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE A MEME.

• Like x 7
  6. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

As far as I can tell there isn't any established etiquette? One day somebody I'd been interacting with a bunch just suddenly showed up on my followers list so I followed her back. It seems to be like a total non-thing.

• Like x 3
  7. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Honestly, I don't know what the "following" thing does besides (I think) allow you to comment on that user's status updates.

ETA: Yeah, I'd call it a "non-thing" in terms of etiquette.

• Like x 2
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

there's various things like the news feed and commenting on statuses that can be set to followers/people followed only, but those are a scattershot of on and off anyways and not really major functionality anyways so *shrug*

• Like x 2
  9. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Okay, good to know. Thank you! I will no longer worry about seeming like a stalker except during intrusive thought intervals.

• Like x 4
  10. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

A useful note: XenForo's mobile interface doesn't keep the "go to first unread" button, but you can do the thing by adding /unread after the thread URL!

• Like x 3
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

The "following" makes the people you follow show up by their profile pictures in the online users, which makes it easier to see when they're online. Useful for when they're good friends or rp buddies and you're someone who avoids live communication venues like chatrooms.

• Like x 2
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

It does actually, if you turn your screen to read in landscape mode! :)

• Like x 3
  13. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I hate reading in tiny chunks so I actually did not know that, huh!

• Like x 1
  14. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I just turn the screen to press the button then turn the screen back :P

• Like x 2
  15. Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus abstractor of the quintessence

What is more or less the general age group of members here? [Meaning -- as an Adult, to what extent do I have to watch what I say because WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?]

What is the policy/accepted etiquette of using naughty language?

16. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

hmm if you mean swearing, that's is fine pretty much everywhere here.

sexual language should probably only be between people who are okay with it. we have an 18+ forum (bottom serket) for 18+ threads and discussion.

• Like x 2
  17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i think there are more adults here than teenagers.

and swearing is totally fine.

• Like x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Ages range from 14 to 50+, but I think the median age is probably 20s? Generally want to spoiler anything majorly NSFW, but swearing happens a lot.

• Like x 3
  19. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Carrickfergus I feel like most of us fall into the 20-35 range, but I could be way off-base on that actually being the average. I know for a fact we have a not-insignificant number of people outside of that range, but I think it's mostly on the upper end - there aren't a huge number of actual minors around (i can think of ... four off the top of my head for sure? there's probably more).

Generally, sexual/otherwise NSFW content is put under tagged spoilers unless it's in a clearly marked thread (i.e. the title says "NSFW" or "18+" or something equivalent), as a courtesy. Potentially triggery stuff usually gets spoilered too, even in specific threads, bc there are plenty of folks with serious triggers hanging out here, and it's not cool to run across something unexpectedly - but you're not going to get publicly shamed or anything if you misstep, people will just ask if you can spoiler the post. Topics like that would be ... rape, self-harm, suicide, abuse, graphic gore ... someone tell me if i've left something obvious out. Also, some threads will have specific spoiler-tag requests, and those can usually be found in the thread tags at the top of the page. (this is particularly relevant in the 18+ subforum, where one person's kink is another person's squick/trigger, so we're all just polite to each other basically)

Salty language is quite permissible. No one's going to faint if you drop an f-bomb. :P

• Like x 3
  20. Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus abstractor of the quintessence

Thaaaaaank you all ^___^

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice