Night Ride Home

Discussion in 'Swords Across the Styx' started by Zin, Sep 3, 2016.

1. albedo

albedo metasperg

"Did he... get along with his employers? Any... trouble between them?"

2. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Seer-Witch of Heart

Martin shakes his head. "N...no. He just. Was anxious about going outside, but he liked his work."

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... alright. Alright. Then... the best thing you can do right now is keep yourself and your friends safe, alright?"

"Do you need a ride home?"

4. Martin Reed

He thinks about saying no. But.

He nods, mutely. "...I... don' wanna. Walk right now."

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... It's alright. My car's right around the corner."

6. Martin Reed

Martin nods, standing quietly. "O..okay."

7. albedo

albedo metasperg

The cop leads him to a marked squad car. "Where are we headed?" He leans over to clear off the passenger seat, shoving a battered paperback into a cupholder.

8. Martin Reed

Martin looks at the book. "Uhm. Spring Life apartments?"

9. albedo

albedo metasperg

It's ... Definitely a romance novel. A trashy bodice-ripper, with a man in a kilt on the front.

"... Down by the park, huh? Alright."

He shifts the car into drive, and starts heading that way.

10. Martin Reed

Martin smiles slightly, reaching forwards to gently touch the cover. "...is this one good?" He pauses, squinting at the author's name. "...I think I've borrowed a few of hers from the library."

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

The cop smiles back, warm and relaxed. "Yeah, she's pretty good. Real fond of Scotland, for some reason."

"Mm... Mary's the heiress to an old castle, I think she's gonna end up with the town priest."

12. Martin Reed

"I think it's the kilts. Shows more off," Martin nods. "...oh? Any twists, or is it 'you gotta read it' material?"

13. albedo

albedo metasperg

"Sounds about right," he says, chuckling. "Just whether the ruffian bandit really loves her."

"Turns out he's in love with the priest too."

14. Martin Reed

"Ooh. Maybe they'll all get together?" Martin perks up visibly, smiling a cute, crooked smile.

15. albedo

albedo metasperg

Half-smiling. "We can hope, huh? This way, yeah?"

16. Martin Reed

"Yeah, this way." Martin nods. "...tho I guess the priest and the bandit might not get along too well, even if the bandit does like him, huh?"

17. albedo

albedo metasperg

"... I dunno, the priest seems like one of those guys with a wild past." Quirking a smile. "How about you? Read anything good lately?"

18. Martin Reed

"Not too much. I mean. A friend had a book of short stories published a few weeks ago, and it's good? I like romance better, tho."

19. albedo

albedo metasperg

"Yeah," he nods. "Sometimes you just need to know that nothing bad's gonna happen, in a book."

20. Martin Reed

"Exactly. It. It's nice." Martin smiles. "I like happy endings, they feel better than sad ones."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice