No Fighting In The Tumblr Room - Tumblr.txt 4th Thread Derail

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Snitchanon, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Well hey, let's load-balance the shit out of this.

Everyone who wants a new tumblr thread, start one. And people can post in whichever the hell thread they want, as the mood takes them and as the current topic best fits.

Each thread will last longer and become more of an established fixture.

And there can be races to see which thread hits a given number of pages.

Seriously, let's do this.

• Like x 4
  2. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

I've never been a part of this but I have been a part of several other similar forum threads in one or two other forums.
    Usually, when a forum has a tradition of starting a new thread at page 1000, then several people will have a sort of race where they all wait anxiously for the thing to finish and then they race to be the first one to create the new thread. It's a Thing.
    And, in a forum with so many people with obsessions and shit, it should definitely not come as a surprise that there were:
    A) multiple people doing the thing
    B) people who felt cheated and wronged when the rule wasn't followed

• Agree x 3
  3. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

I mean, yeah, that also. I don't think we actually have a guideline preventing thematically duplicate friends - we have like two religion threads among other things. If you don't like this one, make your own (which you have), and people can pick what they'd rather use.

4. versi2

versi2 ???????

Well, the old thread hasn't even hit 1000 yet... who's to say there can't still be a race?

5. i meant everyone who was planning to make another thread.
    so am i! and the solution for me is clearly to just let them have it. if the prospect of making this thread really is one of the last things that's keeping them alive, then if no one else actually cares as people keep saying here, it would be stupid and immoral not to let them have it.

6. evilas

but that's not Tradition or How We Do Things. If I'd been invested in this thread, I'd be Majorly Pissed Off right now

• Agree x 2
  7. Gyro Zeppeli

That was never in question. People get really invested in ridiculous things all the time. Doesn't make it some kind of obligation to cater to someone's weird obsession.

8. upload_2018-10-25_9-14-18.png
    is there some way to take @palindromordnilap off post moderation? even temporarily. i'm tired of playing telephone.

• Agree x 1
  9. evilas

....uh. It's common decency to not call someone's obsession stupid

• Agree x 3
  10. Gyro Zeppeli

Good thing I literally didn't do that. Being obsessed with tumblr discourse thread starting is actually a definitionally weird obsession, and it is actually ridiculous to get this worked up over it.

11. evilas

weird, ridiculous, senseless, not worth paying attention to?

12. versi2

versi2 ???????

maybe, but it's never gonna be enough... you can't just... not do things because out of nowhere someone might take what you're doing extremely personally due to their own issues. that's... unreasonable

• Agree x 6
  13. evilas

In case it wasn't clear what I mean by that: I mean "this is exactly the sort of thing that regularly makes me Majorly Pissed Off in subjects that I am invested in."

14. Gyro Zeppeli

I think it's definitely worth paying attention to, insofar as anyone who is legitimately in suicide danger over thread starting should seek immediate help for it. I don't think it's worth paying attention to in the "people should acquiesce to a person's demands solely because it makes them suicidal to do otherwise" sense, especially in a semi-public venue

• Agree x 4
  15. oh wow, what's next? treating people with basic human decency? interacting with them when they express a need for validation? where does the slippery slope end?

16. versi2

versi2 ???????

17. Gyro Zeppeli

Doing things because the person threatens suicide if you do otherwise is like, a few fuckin steps removed from "basic human decency"

• Agree x 5
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

19. evilas

you're right. People shouldn't acquiesce to a person's demands solely because it makes them suicidal to do otherwise.

However, people should definitely acquiesce to reasonable requests of the form "can you please not do this thing? It makes my brain go all bleh".
    Which, if nothing else, is what camelcase asked for.

EDIT: and it's also what palindromordnilap asked for, only the fact that the brain going bleh caused an active suicidal spiral mucked everything up

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice