NSFW RP: consent, minors, and other boundaries

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

I have multiple reasons for saying it should be 18+ only:
    1. It is the safest route legally
    2. Splitting the forum will inevitably cause a split in population. One side will suffer while the other flourishes.
    3. I feel unsafe (especially right now) RPing in a space with minors in it at all. This is because due to my brain damage I need CLEAR BOUNDARIES and I'm not getting that, I'm getting mixed signals.
    It's near impossible to cut the boundaries between fade to black and not. This is my problem you know? Is my character sitting in another character's lap before they go FTB sexual? What if I know OOC they actually did not do anything sexual at all? At what point before some romantic scene should I cut it off at the kiss? Should I never rp anything close to romance in public let alone with a minor of all things? Like, where's the line? Any time you 'stop' an rp you are fading to black, and my brain keeps getting hung up on where that line is.

Mind, I don't want to rp with minors (Save very few exceptions). Past experience + anxiety means it's not fun for me in the long term. I'm just... If we're going to do this with FTB we have to have a line. I'll also admit that if this two forum nsfw forum thing happens I'll be staying in the NSFW section mostly, not because I want to RP sex necessarily but because I don't want to accidentally cross a boundary that no one decided to mention.

Also, the only issue with tagging things in your signature is not everyone has signatures on. I do but I know there are people who don't like them.

• Agree x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I can see an argument why it might be a safety concern if this kind of stuff occurs between a Known Minor and an adult. I, personally, think it is unfair overpolicing to forbid minors from implying sexual activity is taking place between their characters and another minor's characters, provided that everyone directly involved has agreed to said implications. If it is a legality and safety concern that prohibits such implications on this site, that is a bummer for those who lose out on an entire venue of expression.
    That's just my opinion though!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Quick clarification: is this a standard thread tag thing a la "#and i feel god in the vent thread tonight" or is this more like the clickable Vent tag that shows up in titles? Because if it's the second, I can't seem to access the ability to edit the DT OOC Reference thread for it (and if it becomes available, a mod will need to edit the primary OOC thread, as MagicalBoy is no longer on the forum.)

4. Khan

Khan why does anyone NOT hate her

This is a good point. Mods, is there a way to force-on signatures for certain accounts, like RP subs? Can there be a requirement that RPers add 18+/18- to their little under-icon tagline? Can it be a rule for RP subs that they have this visible somewhere?

• Agree x 1
  5. Mendacity

These exceptions are:
    Old DND group
    Old RP group on tumblr
    A couple people in the SPR maybe? Idk who is minors in there.

6. Petra

Petra space case

Wait was the 'thing that made so many people uncomfortable' all just over a misunderstanding of a thing cT did not actually do? Alix, what the fuck.

• Agree x 2
  7. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

@Mendacity I think that some people would gravitate to one or the other, but giving people options is usually a good thing I think. It might mean a slow down for a bit, but a number of people have expressed interest in taking up rp is there are more set "sections" to the forum.

• Agree x 2
  8. Mendacity

That's fair, I've just seen it happen before where a split in RP community breaks it down. Like I said, I'm more than ok with it happening, it's just a bit of a concern for me. Could just be the Anxiety Monster though!

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  9. Petra

Petra space case

Like does 'people are getting sexually explicit with minors with their literal -sonas' seriously equal to 'cT's oc who some people dislike for reasons that are irrelevant to this conversation talked to another adult character played by an adult under a spoiler tag clearly warning for nsfw about anatomy stuff'?

• Agree x 1
  10. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

please don't force signatures, a lot of people hate them because of the other things that tend to end up in them.

• Agree x 2
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I mean that would in general be nice probably. Not for the poor mods who have to wade hrough the workload, but yeah :P
    I do agree it's difficult, but... Idk. I personally find it steers too close to... excuse the hyperbole, 'Pretending anyone under eighteen is a completely sexless blob entirely uninterested in anything even remotely implying sexuality whatsoever' thing? I'm still unsure how something that is fine to be portrayed in pop media and shown to young teens should be something those same young teens aren't allowed to write on their own?

• Agree x 2
  12. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

How are we feeling about this list? I do think the FTB thing is a safety issue for the kids and adults (and admins), and there are a lot of good arguments on both sides.

How's about the rest of the list tho? Additions? Edits?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Like x 4
  13. Mendacity

Pictures, gifs, ect right?

• Agree x 2
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, please focus on the spoilered cat dick and not the days of unspoilered OOC discussion of cat genitals and how Well, Actually, Posting Explicit Pics In The SPR Is Fine, Why Do You Hate Sex Ed And Also Women.

• Agree x 1
  15. Petra

Petra space case

I think that looks alright. I don't personally think the FTB is necessarily bad but it wouldn't be a super huge deal to just not even get to that place in the first place, yanno?

• Like x 2
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

signatures don't show up on all devices, that's not a complete or 100% accessible solution.

I am skeptical and irritated about the proposed rules, and believe that insufficient time/review has passed since this conversation has begun to have checked things. And I say that as somebody who doesn't rp smut.
    eta to specify, the FTB clause.
    Words later.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Poetry and quotes too.

18. Mendacity

Ah yeah, fair. I keep 'em on because they can be nice but sometimes they're crazy long. Also the thing with sigs not showing up for everyone :(

• Agree x 1
  19. Khan

Khan why does anyone NOT hate her

Another fair point.

I think this would be better done as an RP-sub-rule for RP subs only? Would there be a problem with putting it in the tagline (where you have
    93 Verdant Concordance Punctures Darkness), either at the start or the end? For example: "93 Verdant Concordance Punctures Darkness | 18+"

20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I think putting 18+/- in the titles is a pretty good way to go about it. It'll take finagling for some of the longer ones, but as an indication purely as to the age of the roleplayer, it's a neat solution.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice