NSFW RP: consent, minors, and other boundaries

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Petra

Petra space case

But all the characters are adults. I don't get it. Nobody is writing sex scenes with minor rpers?

• Agree x 3
  2. Petra

Petra space case

Like, are you upset at 'portraying a sexual relationship' or 'portraying a relationship that is sexual between the characters but that neither rper wants to get sexual with in actually playing because of the rper age gap among other things'. And are you upset with two adult rpers with adult characters doing a fade-to-black in a space where minors also play, aka the spr?

3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, so that might be the first question: Is that actually true? I have no idea, because I don't necessarily know who's a minor. (It's not as though we have any way to enforce this.)

4. Petra

Petra space case

I also can't think of any examples where an underage and an overage character are having sex, and that's part of what's throwing me off majorly. Please try to provide specific examples.

5. Petra

Petra space case

By that logic we have to ban all rp of adult characters in relationships that are sexual even if the sexual element is not rped between rpers who do not know each other in person and have confirmed that nobody is a minor, though?

• Agree x 2
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Yeah, like, if no one is writing sex stuff with underage rp'ers then saying "don't do that" shouldn't be a burden because people are... already not doing it.

I think the question is: how much sex is too much sex to do with known underage rp partners/in the same game as known underage rp'ers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Agree x 2
  7. Petra

Petra space case

I think there might be some people who have done fade-to-blacks with underage rpers, but I literally haven't seen any of the stuff Kelt is saying has happened and they refuse to provide examples and it's super distressing me. You can't say 'i've seen x' and then refuse to show where x is. It's super hard to deal with!

• Agree x 4
  8. seebs

Not necessarily? I'm just wondering, like, as a fact question: Is it in fact the case that there's no sexy RP involving minors? Is it the case that there's no sexy RP involving known minors, or just that none of the people posting happen to have noticed any?

• Agree x 2
  9. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

It's also super hard to deal with calling out other users on demand tho. There are competing needs here, I'd appreciate it if everyone could try to be mindful of that.

• Agree x 5
  10. seebs

So one of the concerns that has been expressed to me is that people have said "hey, i'm uncomfortable with this specific thing right here", and then gotten it explained to them why they were wrong to be uncomfortable with it. So people are wary of doing that, and feel like they aren't getting respected. Which... I mean, that sounds like a thing that happens in human societies in general at least occasionally, so I assume it's a potentially real problem.

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
  11. Petra

Petra space case

Right. But right now it feels like Kelt is calling out everyone because they're unwilling to point even in the direction of where the problem is.

• Agree x 3
  12. Petra

Petra space case

Okay. I think there's some blur going on here so I'm just going to ask @keltka ...

What do you consider nsfw? What do you consider sfw? What do you consider 18+? What age are you defining underage/overage around? What do you consider sfw roleplay with a sexual bent?

More specific questions based around me, in specific, so that you don't have to worry about offending anyone else. What do you consider inappropriate examples of xenobiological sex ed? If my character @Naft talked about how her species lays eggs from the head and incubates eggs with the hair so female hekatons have prehensile hair, to hold and lay the eggs, is that sfw because it's not something that registers as a fetish? If a troll talks about 'oh we don't do internal fertilization, blah blah mother grub' is that okay?

13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Paraphrasing of what I've seen happening so far

"Uhhhh so guys I'm worried that a bad thing has been happening, can we not"

"Huh? I've been involved in the places where the thing happens, but I haven't seen anything that bad happen. Did I miss the thing happening, am I letting people around me get hurt? Or are you referring to a thing somewhere else that you think we could do if we don't establish a rule against it?"

"No, look, I don't know for sure if it was that bad, I don't want to point fingers and get everyone all upset, can we just establish a rule and not do it -- maybe not do it again?"

"UH??? We need to know (a) if this is happening anywhere and (b) if so who's doing it. And we need to be careful about any rules we make because making too-restrictive rules, or rules that don't actually address the problem in question, just cause more problems and more hurt."

and the lack of specification is amping up anxiety like crazy, and the expressions of anxiety are discouraging anyone who might have specifics from speaking up

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. Petra

Petra space case

Hmmm. Are they getting told why it's wrong to be uncomfortable with it (which I don't think is acceptable to police) or are they getting told why their discomfort alone isn't enough to make a rule around?

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Question: do other people actually like... think about what happens after a fade-to-black? Because personally, that functions as the [END SCENE] on a script, and the characters in question could be getting ice cream. I don't really think about the sex they're having or not having, which might be why the thing confuses me so much-- it's functionally the same as the credits rolling following the kiss scene at the end of the movie.

Sex is implied, yes. But I also share absolutely no... identity, I guess? With my characters. And I'm willing to go with "no fade-to-blacks with minors" even though I'm... pretty sure that has only happened twice? (And for honesty's sake: yes I was one of the times, and I figured that 'fade to black' was a pretty good nonsexual cut for 'two characters getting involved'. It's fine if that makes people uncomfortable and I understand completely, but if the other rper is uncomfortable with the fact that it happened, I really do apologize. I didn't mean for it to come off in a predatory way and I'm sorry if I took advantage of you.)

As for actual, full on sexual intercourse in rp? As far as I'm aware, it hasn't happened in DT, WT, or the SPR. I'm not positive about other roleplay forums, but in those three cases, I'm pretty certain about saying it hasn't.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  16. Petra

Petra space case

I mean DT has gotten pretty steamy, but I think that may have been off-site?

17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I´ll say sex that doesn´t actually get written is no sex.
    The problem is with what people here are defining as "sex stuff" Which is among other things, sex that doesn´t get written, only implied to have happened, and appearantly, A relationship that is implied to have again, never written, sex in it at all, ever. Both of which I just fundamentally disagree with.

it also takes away the ability of minors to approach Just Romantic stuff in any way, even by way of not actually doing any of it, just writing a character doing it.

I think it has happened in DT BUT DT is 18+, we ask ages before people join so. yeah.

• Agree x 3
  18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Clarification: Full on sex between two roleplayers that were a minor and adult OOC. We already have DT marked as 18+ and all sexytimes spoilered.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Wowie this is some anti bs
    Like, there is no way to assure if someone is a minor or not, like legit how is this different from someone catastrophising over minors maybe reading a fic.

Don't like don't read is a thing, yo. It is my responsibility to ask if someone is a minor but not my fault if they lie, hell I can guarantee that minors will go into any nsfw forum you make.

This is a longstanding issue with online rp, not kintsugi specific.

Also my god, way to kick up anxiety and ruin some people's days. Just point the fucking thing out

Ps if minor/adult situations written is badwrong for minors to maybe read... what about ita?

• Agree x 5
    • Useful x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

@Petra I'm really sorry but right now I'm kind of having a breakdown after fielding a bunch of questions from all sides and I really think I need to tap out for a bit
    I'd like to mention that I do think you're really cool and I'm sorry for causing you distress because that shit fucking Sucks

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice