OBJECTION! An Ace Attorney Games Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Rafi, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Can anybody help me do a bit of research for a fic? My google search skills are failing me.
    I want to know if a family or family member can be sued for damages caused by another family member, either because that family member is dead, missing, or some other instance that would make them unable to stand in court.

2. Wait what. I don't understand your question. Are you asking if you can sue someone who's not there?

3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Like... can you sue an entire family for damages instead of just one member. Like how have to sue an entire chain (if applicable) instead of the store owner/manager.

4. Sue them for what?

5. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

well i was thinking Yani Yogi could sue the fey family for defamation because of Misty (and by extension, Gregory) falsely accusing him of Gregory's murder, since she didn't make the statement in court and thus wouldn't be protected by the law that states "an unknowingly false statement made in court isn't defamation" but unknowingly false statements outside of court are still subject to slander and defamation law.

6. Mmm no, he could only sue Misty because she's the only one who said that. In the case of organization you can sue them because of their practices because they do actually regulate those things and are legally accountable for the conduct of someone on the job cause they pay them. YMMV to a certain extent, but that's generally why a group of people can be sued. And it's important to note that penalties are levied on the corperation as a whole, not any individual within the company. In the case you're describing here, the whole family must have actively defamed Yanni Yogi as a murderer in order to sue, and even then they would be individually responsible, not considered an organization. Now if they were considered a religious organization for tax purposes there might be something you could negociate there. You'd have to look that up though, don't know the details.

7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Well I know that say, if you slip and fall in a wal-mart, you sue the entire corporation, not the store you fell in. But yeah I see what you're getting at. I'll look that up, cause I think by all accounts Kurain village would count as a church of sorts. They don't seem to follow some of the laws of Japanifornia. :D thanks though

• Like x 1
  8. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Plus IIRC slander and defamation can only be sued for if active intent to harm can be proven, like deliberately in order to ruin someone's career or marriage. If you actually believe what you are saying or if it isn't with intent for harm than it would be extremely hard to sue. That being said, it is Japanifornia, so I think there is a good deal of deliberate fudging that can happen, but I think realisitically Misty would be more within her rights to sue the police department/prosecutor's office for letting her take the fall/blaming the whole situation on her (especially since the defense's argument wasn't even that Yanni didn't shoot Gregory, it was that he had brain damage from lack of oxygen or something)

9. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I figure I can take liberties with whatever set of laws I choose to use cause well, it's fiction and it's a convoluted mixing of cultures between original and translation and yeah. Though I want to keep as real to irl as possible, I think. Or I have to think of some other excuse for this AU's main plot point to be a thing that happens. Hm.

10. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Hmmm...if you need the Fey family to be sued than perhaps it could be over false advertisement/fraudulent claims, using DL-6 and other such incidents as a case that they are falsely claiming to be spirit mediums/seers/ect?

11. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I never thought of that, but that would make the most sense. It seems they offered a lot of channeling for common citizens under Morgan, I can imagine that if Dr. Grey didn't get the whole murder treatment he'd be pretty unhappy with what he did/didn't get P:
    Basically I'm looking for an excuse for someone to look into the Fey's family tree. So I'm kind of scrambling for what kind of case would one need to drudge that up, or records of people ever born in/to the village/family.

EDIT: actually, just birth records of some sort.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. Why do you need them to look it up? It's possible I could come up with something if I know more details.

13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Remember my "Maya and Miles are siblings because fuck it I say so" headcanon? That's why. I want to write a fic (obviously, I need to find a reason to write again) where there is some sort of conflict that would either a) make Edgeworth the prosecutor of a Maya case and/or b) give Edgeworth, Phoenix, Maya, or someone a reason to pull up a birth certificate and see a certain Misty Fey or Gregory Edgeworth where it shouldn't be.

14. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

WAIT I THINK I GOT IT BUT IM AT WORK STILL HOLD ON

15. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

i never finished that thought wtf @ me

16. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

but eh it wouldn't work anyway so back to the drawing board

17. Well, what about Miles just getting curious about his mom?

18. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I considered that and then I remembered that I am so bad at writing anything domestic haha, so I was like, in what ways can I torture the characters to bring forth the headcanon. Well, I'm not bad at it but it gets boring for me to write and yeah =/ It takes me weeks to finish even domestic one-shots tbh

19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Merry Dl-6mas, everyone! Edgeworth is in jail for the murder of Robert Hammond right now. :::DDD

• Like x 8
  20. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice