Oh god how do you stay sane through a UTI

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by thisisnotmyrealname2, Sep 21, 2015.

1. thisisnotmyrealname2

thisisnotmyrealname2 Came to vent, actually yeah still venting

You'd think! So far still going insane, been through one course of poorly-tolerated antibiotics, trying another. Still in hospital.

2. thisisnotmyrealname2

When you say a week, do you mean everything was all better after a week, or things started to improve after a week? Because I'm on day three and seeing very little improvement. :hussiedance:

3. thisisnotmyrealname2

No baking soda baths in hospital either :(

4. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

It took a week for me to start genuinely feeling on the mend. On day three I was still in a lot of pain and mostly laid around.

5. thisisnotmyrealname2

..that is both good and bad. My mum says it took her until day four to feel better, someone else has quoted five days. So it looks like still being miserable is par for the course.

6. thisisnotmyrealname2

The codiene at least takes the edge off the urgency. I did not realise until talking with my mum yesterday morning that the irritation/urgency is actually classified as pain, and so when the doctors had been asking if I was in pain and offering painkillers a lot, I actually should have been saying YES GIMME instead of trying to explain the sensations I was feeling. Painkillers do indeed help lots.
    The issue I'm now facing is that I am allergic to roughly 95% of antibiotics. Including the ones used to treat my current bug (good ol E. coli), so the ones I can take that would actually make the slightest difference are all broad-spectrum. Okay, that sucks, gonna make you feel crap, w/e. Except, I also have a antibiotic resistant bacteria in my gut (C. diff) that goes nuts every time I'm on a broad spectrum ab. This results in hella nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, body cramps, headache, vertigo, hallucinations, raised heartbeat - the worst food poisoning you ever had. And every time I take a dose of the ab, I know I'm signing up for another 12-24 hours of that, and I am seriously running out of willpower to keep taking them. I've told the doctors this, they know it, but the infection is still there and we've already switched abs once to try and throw the C. diff off. The infection's still going, but seriously, I just can't keep doing this. The only thing I'm clinging to is "if you're going through hell, keep going".
    I also now understand why people with cancer sometimes refuse treatment. I never did before.

tl;dr: Infection still a thing. Painkillers help lots. Antibiotics making me feel worse than the infection.

7. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Im so so sorry you're goin through this. That sounds like a world of so much suck.

8. thisisnotmyrealname2

Still going. Home now, feeling better by the day. Appreciate the well wishes.

• Like x 5
  9. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Do they have pyridium in your country? It's a pain reliever that affects your bladder + urethra (and makes you piss bright red-orange, but you won't even care). Sometimes, if a UTI isn't too advanced, you can clear it by taking some pyridium and then just drinking a shitload of water to flush things out. Assuming the infection this time around was just caused by bad luck (and not an underlying condition), you might give that a shot next time.

10. thisisnotmyrealname2

Sadly, no pyridium for me, it's not licensed for sale here. :( Turned out the infection was bad, and I ended up in hospital for a week. Out now, though things haven't completely settled, I'm doing okay. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice