On the General Crafting of Mines

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Astrodynamicist, Feb 23, 2015.

1. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Soooo I have this thing that I've been working on for a while, which I posted screenshots of on Tumblr a while ago. At some point when I was playing my first-ever minecraft game, I decided I hated sand. So I have spent a little over a year turning a desert into glass. ... I guess I'll repost the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... And etc. Over here's where I posted about it.

(These pics are from a few months ago, it's changed a bit since then. For instance, there are now spruce trees growing on top of the tower.)

Anyway, at some point I kind of wanted to share it with people, just because I've put so much energy into it... I said I'd do it once the desert was completely glassed over, and it now more or less is, except for some fiddly edges that are kind of giving me hell .... my planning is shitty, i keep coming to edges of dunes, and the biome borders, and have to resolve the patterns in ways that are not consistent and is driving me fuckin' nuts (on that note- hey @seebs you think i'm autistic?) Aaand also the desert, while almost fully glassed over, isn't completely dug out yet, which makes it feel Not Done and therefore Not Worthy Of Sharing, but the thing is I would like to show people this thing before I like, actually die (though really I'm not in any unusual danger of that and clearing out the rest of the sand will prolly only take another few months tops) but I mean still.

Um. Anyway. If I am going to share this thing, I am also going to need to know, like, how. So... Can anyone point me to a thing that will tell me how? I mean, I could google it, too, but asking for help might 1) be faster and 2) lead me to people who are at least vaguely interested in looking at this ridiculous thing I have built. So like, two birds there.

So yeah. Anyone interested/know how do?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like x 3
  2. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

J and I have just started a play of the FTB pack "Pathfinder", which is proving ...interesting... so far. J is way more into it than I am - I need a real concrete endgoal to get into MC, or my attention just fizzles out. You can only go through the new-world start so many times. For instance, we really enjoyed Galacticraft, and loved Material Energy^3 and Agrarian Skies (until they just got sooooooo ridiculous with what they wanted).

3. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

(Oh yeah, forgot to mention- I did all of that on survival mode. Can't seem to get interested in a game on creative. Creepers are my fucking bane.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like x 2
  4. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

@Kaylotta I heartily recommend Sky Factory and Natural Magic on the ATLauncher. Sky Factory is a skyblock-type pack/map where you start out with nothing but one tree and one dirt block between your butt and the Void. It doesn't have HQM, but it does have an achievement book with tasks you can do and check off yourself. Unlike Agrarian Skies, you don't get rewards for doing stuff--you have to make EVERYTHING. But hunger seems to go down a lot slower.

Also, before you get a source of bonemeal, you can make trees grow by twerking for them. I'm not even kidding.

Natural Magic is a pretty much tech-free pack other than Forestry, and it has HQM and Lore Pages.

There's a new pack called Journey to the Core or some such; I haven't tried it yet but it looks like an endgoal-based HQM pack, so it looks like fun.

And I hear you on the Agrarian Skies quests. I had a MFR tomato farm pumping tomatoes directly into the QDS for this quest that needed 10,000 fucking tomatoes and I was well into the thousands when I updated the pack and LUL WHOOPS THAT QUEST IS GONE SO ARE THOUSANDS OF YOUR TOMATOES

• Like x 2
  5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Lerxst Thanks for the tips!

also

this is golden. XD

6. albedo

albedo metasperg

That's awesome; I was working on an under-lake base for a while, but I got distracted and lost the save.

Sky Factory is fun so far, but I keep falling down. Is there a good way to expand a base without falling out of the world? :P

• Like x 1
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

@albedo KEEP YOUR PINKY ON SHIFT. When you punch the first log of your starter tree, immediately make a crafting table. Just plop it on some leaves, but remember to pick it back up when you're done with it. Next log, make one batch of sticks and make a crook to bash leaves with, which gives you a better chance of saplings because if you don't get at least one sapling from the starter tree, you are fucked. With the remaining logs, start making slabs. As soon as you hit the dirt block, KEEP THAT PINKY ON SHIFT and start placing slabs all around the dirt. This should give you enough of a safe platform to stand on so you can plant your sapling and twerk at it. Use your crafting table, chests, etc. as barriers until you get enough wood to make fences. THE SHIFT KEY IS YOUR BESTEST FRIEND UNTIL YOU GET YOUR ISLAND FENCED.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    • Like x 1
  8. albedo

albedo metasperg

... How did I never realize that this hotkey existed. o_o I knew I was missing something...

Thank you!! I'll have to make a new world and see what I can build after work tonight. :D

9. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Hee! Yeah, the shift key is a lifesaver. Just be advised that until you get a water source (if you had the shit luck to spawn in a desert biome you might want to just restart because rain in a barrel is the only way you're going to get water early on), a mob farm, a smeltery, and an igneous extruder, things are going to progress veeeeeerrrrrry sloooooooowly. :)

10. albedo

albedo metasperg

Slow is kind of nice; I like playing slow videogames while reading a book or listening to podcasts. :D

I used to play games as a kid when loading screens were minutes long, while reading a book; I kind of miss it sometimes. I am a dork.

I'm going to have to take screenshots when I get something neat up and running. I will fulfill my childhood dreams of giant skycastles!

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

I now have two fenced off "rooms" so I can infest one patch of trees with silkworms while harvesting the rest for saplings/leaves, and a sieve. Working on getting the materials to craft a crucible now. :D

I think I'm going to make a basement "living area" next, but I still haven't figured out how to make more light sources, which is hampering my expansion a little bit.

12. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I installed Sky Factory yesterday and I'm at about the same point! :D That's a much smarter tree setup than I have, though.

For additional light sources... er, not sure if you're actually asking for help, so I'll put it under spoilers in case you, well, don't want to be spoilered.

You can build a normal vanilla furnace with cobble (which I assume you know how to get already because you're getting clay for the crucible), and then cook up charcoal for torches from wood. You can also sometimes get coal sifting gravel, I think (either gravel or sand, I'm pretty sure it was gravel).

13. albedo

albedo metasperg

Just figured it out at the end of the night, because I was running out of space, so I can't take too much credit. It's working out pretty well so far though. :D

Spoilers are awesome; I'm using the wiki liberally, but it's always a little hard to figure out where to look. But oh, that totally makes sense; I wasn't even thinking about the normal recipes. Thank you!!

14. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Oh, here's a handy cobble-saving tip (that you probably don't need anymore): you can make a slab furnace. Same crafting recipe except use cobble slabs instead of blocks. So a furnace will only cost you 6 cobble instead of 8. Of course you'll have 4 slabs left over, but you can throw those down to make more floor so it's all good.

15. albedo

albedo metasperg

Heh, I definitely still need it; I'm still not terribly far. I have like... ten trees, I think? So production is still not very fast. Thanks! :D

16. albedo

albedo metasperg

I have successfully reached a floating island in Bevo's Tech Pack!

... it's entirely covered in slime. I'm not sure if this is anticlimactic or not. 8| Sky island, why are you covered in slime.

17. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

Ah, yes, slime islands. They're from the Tinker's construct mod, iirc? the water in them spawns blue slimes, and the trees will drop blue and green slime balls, you can use them for making tools.

18. albedo

albedo metasperg

Huh. Neat! I'll have to play with that; I was just... not expecting slime everywhere.

19. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Green slime is actually one of the best handle materials, it's ridiculously durable. Blue slime is okay but not as good. Get you some slimy saplings off that island and you'll have all the slime you'll ever need.

20. albedo

albedo metasperg

Awesome. :D I'm glad that turned out to be useful; building a spiral staircase up there was kind of neat, but I'd be disappointed if I didn't get anything out of it. Besides an awesome location for a homebase.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice