One thousand talking cats: Warrior Cats Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by theambernerd, Jun 13, 2016.

1. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Okay, for anyone interested in watching me reread these books, liveblog Tumblr is here! Wish me luck.

• Like x 2
  2. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I don't remember if I mentioned this in the thread before, but my childhood warriors name, Amberstripe, is the reason I'm known as amber online. My warriors obsession will remain in my life forever

That pretty much only lasts this first book! They only mentioned the cats mentioned in this specific book, but in the rest of the series do most of the other clans, though definitely not all, still just the most relevant
    in the most recent books, they do mention All the cats, as far as we can tell (dear god, there's so many)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • Like x 1
  3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

“ok Smokepaw, that’s a nice name but all I can focus on when I look at you is your tiny ears, so I’m just going to arbitrarily make your warrior name Smallear instead" ajekflgl

• Like x 5
  4. theambernerd

I think my favorite is the Shadowclan queen that looked at her grey furred child and said 'yes, i'm naming this one yellowkit'
    Oh Yellowfang, your name made no sense until you were old enough that you got bad dental hygiene, and yet here we are

• Like x 7
  5. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

I think there's a special naming ceremony to give to cats who don't fit their old names, which might be where Yellowfang got her name? But if that's the case, man, her bad teeth must've been REALLY distracting.
    I also can't actually remember if there was ever anything in the books about Yellowfang as a kit so I could be wrong and she could have just had the most nonsensical name until she grew into it

Either way, still funny |P

• Like x 2
  6. theambernerd

Yellowfang has her own super edition book dedicated to her entire life pre-the first series! She was indeed, named Yellowkit at birth. Thanks Brightflower, you're excellent at names.

• Like x 4
  7. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

Welp then there goes that theory. I don't think I've read that book... or if I have, I've entirely forgotten it XD it's been a while.

SO CLEARLY what happened is Brightflower had a premonition. A terrible premonition that her kit would one day have awful, awful teeth. It was fate.

• Like x 5
  8. keltena

Yeah; I mean, I'd assume that's what happened with the likes of Halftail and Clawface, for example. (Which mostly just drives in what I guess we already generally knew: the Clans are really fucking rude, good lord. Usually when you see that kind of renaming in kids' books, it's a bullying technique, not an accepted societal norm! :P)

Sounds more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you ask me. "Whatever, Yellowkit, I'm not wasting my time getting you to clean your teeth, StarClan already said it wouldn't matter."

• Like x 4
  9. theambernerd

The elders' names are actually addressed in the first series! If I remember right One-eye is just like 'oh lol i thought it was funny to get a new name about my deformity once i retired, y'know, whatever', but yeah, there's an official ceremony for re-naming a cat after they've recieved their warrior name.

I mean, Yellowfang does have yellow eyes at least, so she could've been named for stuff other than bad teeth, maybe she just didnt take good care of them as an apprentice xD i'd say its because herbs stained them but she wasn't a medicine cat apprentice till after she became a full warrior

• Like x 1
  10. theambernerd

no spoilers but the most recent warriors book had like 50% of it at least be pov of shadowclan cats or characters currently in shadowclan. they're not exactly having a great time but oh my god i am so happy with the increase of shadowclan appreciation

I always just shrug cause like.. sure they don't behave socially exactly like cats, but theyre cat-like enough in how they interact with the world (emphasis on using scent and hearing, etc) that like.. cats also don't have organized religion. they can take some liberties for story's sake

and it's nothing like the lovely dissonance Guardians of Ga'Hoole has- where you start out with yes, normal owl family, living in a tree, eating raw prey, and end up in the big scholarly tree of owls who know how to fetch embers from still-burning wild forest fires, and cook food and make desserts with berries. and make alliances with wolves against evil magical half-raven half-owl creatures that can paralyze you with their gaze
    Ga'hoole takes a loooot of suspension of disbelief

• Like x 4
  11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ga'hoole gets weeiird. I remember getting freaked out by the whatever those were, monster creatures.

12. theambernerd

Guh, I forget what they were called.. i have books 9-15, i should get the rest just to have the set, i'm sure they dont cost much online
    but yeah. once there were blue owls across the ocean i was like. ok. this has gotten really bizzare.
    but god, i stick to a series, read the whole thing xD

13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I checked, they're called Hagsfiends.

14. keltena

:DDDDD

good

Oh, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them writing the cats simply as fantasy protags humans can easily relate to! Obviously that makes perfect sense. I'm just saying I totally get what it must be like to read the books and keep twitching uncontrollably at everything that makes you automatically think but that's not how cats cat. (I mean, my mom loved the Ace Attorney games I played with her, but she still had to take a moment to stop and protest in incredulity at some of the more blatantly innacurate law bits.)

15. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

brightheart was renamed after bluestar died, which was good -- i remember bluestar named her like? half face or something really cruel, so i remember the renaming made me happy :')

16. theambernerd

Bluestar named her Lostface when they thought she was about to die, yeah, that's when the re-naming stuff is brought up in the books, because when she recovered and Firestar became leader he wanted to give her a nicer name

• Like x 2
  17. theambernerd

I will totally headcanon that lil Rusty had a bit of a crush on like, all the big manly warriors in the clan.
    (lil fear-crush on Tiger would be even more excellent. TigerFire is a p good kismesis ship tbh)
    dear god i can talk about problematic cat ships here without fearing crucifixion thank GOD

• Like x 7
  18. keltena

... you know what, I'll specifically keep an eye out for evidence of that one. Maybe it can make my utter disinterest in Tigerblah after the first series more bearable somehow. :P

also you should totally talk to me about any problematic ships you have once I'm up to the relevant points in the series; I was never into shipping or the main fandom so I'm super curious now what things were like there

• Like x 3
  19. theambernerd

totally! I haven't been a huuge shipper of warriors in a while, but there's still some good stuff around

fun history fact, at least in the forum I was in (which was about the biggest non-rp-centric warriors forum before the official one), no one did gay ships until the admin Blizz awkwardly suggested that maybe Ravenpaw and Barley could be sorta totally gay
    and thus slash ship began in the warriors fandom
    also my baby's first slash ship
    (Fire/Gray is a pretty popular ship as well- i can see it, but i've never been invested in it)

20. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

omg problematic cat ships

im also super interested in this, when i was into the series i had no idea fandom and shipping even existed. i kinda wanna re read it now with shipping in mind

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice