OOC Sage Canyon Academy Stuff

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by kmoss, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Sounds good to me.

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Would nonverbal or partially nonverbal students be given something like magival paper that they can will words onto? You know since they can´t use their phones everywhere.

• Like x 2
  3. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Did we ever decide on uniform? Just for character design purposes.
    Also I am p sure we have no first years? So for any mentor relationships we should probably decide in advance.

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

IIrc, we have a dress code, but no one ever spelled it out? And yes, probably a good idea.
    Santino is well...actually Santino is in. maybe the teachers try to teach him responsibilty that way. Eliott obviously is in.

5. Lazarae

I don't see why not. Maybe something like a milder form of the howlers, they will the words onto them and the paper speaks (so they can communicate without being looked at directly, for instance if a teacher is busy with something they have to watch but can spare attention to listen). And a quieter version for more private conversations. I imagine a lot of verbal students have them too for passing messages because they can be blanked and teachers don't usually confiscate them because some students actually need them.

• Like x 3
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yeah would make sense to spread them wider to avoid people having to jump hoops to get them. Although I think readable words are still good, for those who can´t /hear/ mouth noises sometimes.
    Pretty much literally magical texting.

7. Lazarae

Yeah, the 'quieter' version I mentioned would be silent, and the talking one would be normal-voice level. Both would have visible text.

• Like x 2
  8. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yeah! Uh, either magical paper or later, they teach you a charm. but the magical paper sounds good. you concentrate on the person and the message, tap it with your wand, and words appear. Or something. Whatever's easiest, I guess. (Making me think of the Young Wizards series, with the notes in the Manual you can send to other wizards)

Widespread magical paper sounds legit

(It could even be a spell you can set on your wand or if you have a watch or bracelet. set the charm, and you can send stuff to other people, it'll ding or not depending on their settings.)

Uniforms: What's normal dress code for a school like this. do we still do trousers/skirt, nice shirt and tie?

Moss is in the mentor program, but hopefully the mentee is older and doesn't need quite a lot of assistance, since Moss is gone every few months on survey. Their bracelet charm is obviously still in effect, but surveys are nice for not having to be around people, so they're bad at replying when they're on survey

• Like x 1
  9. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Jay is probably young enough that she still needs to be mentored, and I'm willing to deage her from 13 to 12 or- what is the first year age again? She'd be a problem mentoree,though.

10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

What type of problem?

11. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Well she doesn't really-she listens to people, she just doesn't do what they advice/suggest/demand, unless she can see a definite reason why. She's not exactly rebellious for the sake of rebellious, but she definitely works on a different track then most people, and she's invested a lot in making sure she doesn't connect to people, because she feels like that makes her vulnerable, so she intentionally pulls away and keeps very distant and tries to mask this with jokes and acting out and being very boisterous.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    • Like x 1
  12. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Moss is/was pretty similar, actually. They've gotten a bit more serious about some things, but if someone get too close, then they're back out to Survey, or "had to do a lot of work for my senior cap"

I'm not sure if this would be a bad or good thing if they got assigned to each other

13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hm..I´d offer either of mine, they both understand that. Although Santino is a horrible influence cause he´s the same way. (Eliott understands, but is more rule focused)

• Like x 1
  14. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I was thinking about maybe putting Lilly in the RP too, as a firstie, but idk how well I'd handle multiple characters at the moment, so I havent even put her in the character thread yet.

• Like x 1
  15. Lazarae

Isa's too old to have a mentor and probably got skipped over to be one on account of being a bundle of chaos and allergic to responsibility.

Izzy... might not be the best mentor for someone, but definitely not the worst. Her stance is mostly "ask questions if you want to know things. Don't if you don't. If you fuck up I will show up to tell you the whys and hows, but it'll be your own fault for not asking." On the other hand, she is willing to explain why things are rules. She doesn't assume that the mentor relationship makes you besties, though, and if you just want to talk to her for advice instead of making friends she's fine with that. I think she actually prefers it.

16. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how the mentor selection process is? Like do they get to choose or is it teacher guided? Because left to her own devices Jay would try and find a way to slip through the cracks or, failing that, find someone who would leave her alone, mostly.

17. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Hm. I feel like most people should have a mentor for the first few years.

It's kind of necessary in such a dangerous environment such as school (especially Sage Canyon Academy). Perhaps in cases where they "slip through the cracks" (because I feel that with the Headmaster, few students are as successful at slipping through the cracks as they would be elsewhere), they're required to meet with a teacher or the Headmaster every other week or so, just so they have access to someone they can learn about the school and request help from.

Maybe it's teacher guided but in cases of personality conflict, mentor groups can switch?

• Like x 2
  18. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't saying she'd get away with it, but that's what she'd try and do. Maybe if kids are super shy/anxious about meeting new people they are taken care of by a teacher, but I think the school really tries to push the mentor thing as a) a way to get to know the school and b) a way to strength ties between students

• Like x 1
  19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Carol is in the mentoring program, totally. They're pretty mellow, so for anybody who needs a calming influence they're probably good.

20. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Oh, also, are we still going to be doing a Hogwarts rp as well? Because if people want I could put up a Hogwarts Character Intro thread.

And yeah, it definitely depends on how the mentoring set up is. If teachers do it, they'd probably put Jay with someone like Carol or Elliot, but if she got to choose she'd gravitate to the person who looks like they give the least shits about the whole thing, sooo Izzy, Moss, or Santino probably.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice