OOC Sage Canyon Academy Stuff

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by kmoss, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think in that case just don't initiate worldbuilding during night vale trips. i think as long as you've got a general idea of the sort of night vale, x-files, area 51, spn type american-spooky mythos, you shouldn't have any trouble rolling with what other folks describe.

• Like x 3
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

That makes sense.

3. jacktrash

how about Sage Canyon Academy

cuz sage is the big magical herb for southwestern magic

• Like x 2
  4. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

:loud cheering from students:

5. jacktrash

[​IMG]

ok somebody shop tentacles coming outta that :D

• Like x 1
  6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yes. I do like that.
    Do we do British style headmaster/professor etc? (Unless US boarding schools do that too. I've never been...)
    And clearly we have houses because how else do we judge and discriminate against others.

We can stick with previously suggested eagle, coyote, bear, and...uh (i can't remember)

http://lavaeudeen.tumblr.com/post/97178702730/renstability-ziraangel-evilauthor - or this

Or literally anything

#the sky isn't even the limit #cuz guess what #we got broooooms

• Like x 1
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Hmmmm. HMMMMM.

Maybe Southwestern Wizarding School/Sage Canyon is on a nexus point, where ideas and bits of reality leak through. A little part of the world that overlaps a little too much with other, adjacent worlds. Wizarding schools are supposed to be super secure, right? That's why they put the Sorcerer's Stone in Hogwarts and all. So it's a little area of safety between the known Wizarding world, and the great unknown of several other not-quite-our-worlds. So it's not quite Nightvale, but sometimes the little muggle town nearby goes a little strange in the desert heat, and sometimes there are creatures lurking in the vast expanse that you can't find anywhere else in the world, that can't be harmed or tamed with normal magic.

I always got a sense of dogma from the wizarding world- there's new advances and all but a lot of it is old and tried and true but not always effective. So there's a bunch of these little places where the world goes screwy and doesn't follow the rules, so you have to make new ones. Cobbled-together magic with one foot in the Established Systems and the other in necessity, at a school built half in the known Wizarding World and half in the infinite chaos of the megaverse.

• Like x 9
  8. unknownanonymous

jackrabbit, i remember

• Like x 1
  9. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Ok, this is Eastern Washington, not really Southwest (also, not shopped) but it still seems up this thread's alley, so:
    [​IMG]

I'm very much not a HP person, but I might still lurk this thread because ahhhhhh Southwest.

• Like x 2
  10. kmoss

kmoss whoops

...You. I like you.

11. unknownanonymous

How is that "not shopped"?:mystery::mystery::mystery:

12. jacktrash

good grief yes, that is fantastic.

13. emythos

So, regular high school or boarding school?
    Actually, did anyone here besides me go to an agricultural or vocational high school, cause those could be good models.

14. jacktrash

look at the bigsize version -- it's a paper collage.

• Like x 1
  15. kmoss

kmoss whoops

#of course this also means we can shovel in some discworld references #some wonderland references #not a lot #but still

16. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I assure you, that is a 100% unmanipulated photograph
    of a papercraft collage

• Like x 1
  17. unknownanonymous

Thanks!

18. jacktrash

i went to an american private school -- not a boarding school, a day school, but -- we did have a headmaster rather than a principal, but we called our teachers 'teacher' rather than 'professor' and we had a dress code rather than a uniform.

19. emythos

Huh. I had one friend who went to private school, but she transferred out after a year and never talked about it.

20. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I do like the idea of a boarding school, I just have no idea how they function. But tell us about agricultural/vocational high schools too! *props chin on hand*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice