OOC Sage Canyon Academy Stuff

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by kmoss, Feb 24, 2015.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

In the history of the school, very few teachers have not been alumni. There's one teacher who moved from England but other than that, pretty much everybody at least had transferred to this school.

• Like x 1
  2. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

that would make sense.
    also explains the slow turnover of teachers sort of.

• Like x 1
  3. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Alright, so, quick sum up of Sage Canyon Academy (from throughout the thread)-
    • Stationed in the American Southwest, somewhere near Night Vale? (or maybe Night Vale like town) (possibly near Area 51?)
    • Either train or bus to get there, the children fall asleep on the way (my vote is for shabby greyhound bus of magic)
    • Elidritch horror in the lake, of course
    • On a "nexus point", where parts of different worlds overlap and things can go screwy
    • Boarding school, modeled on agricultural schools. Possible dress code?
    • Terminology- Headmaster, teachers?
    • Houses-
      • Eagle= Gryffindor
      • Coyote= Slytherin
      • Jackrabbit= Ravenclaw
      • Bear= Hufflepuff
      • With possibly one or two more? (possible central traits- compassion/ethical, enthusiasm, ???)
    • More hands on then Hogwarts?
    • Can apply to change houses?
    • Better at wandless magic?
    • Underground dorms
    • Thoughts about how wizarding american bigotry is similar to/different from wizarding britian or muggle america
    • Student-hijacked magic tumblr
    • Most teachers are former students (except one british import)
    Did I miss anything?

4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

damn, I was just going to do that, too
    I think that's everything we were thinking

5. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I know that in the fantroll thread they're planning 2-3 different roleplays, I think? So maybe if there's enough interest we could have both SCA and a Hogwards thread/hub/so on and so forth.

6. wes scripserat

7. kmoss

kmoss whoops

that's a really good point! I did notice that in the fantroll threads. and then we have sonething for everyone, hopefully

8. wes scripserat

I'm so exited air this rp

• Like x 1
  9. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Right! So: Houses Dorms?
    Dorms:

Eagle = Gryffindor equivalent. (More of an emphasis on pranking, but the big thing for Gryffindor was "Do right for the Greater Good, No Matter What")

Jackrabbit = Ravenclaw equivalent. Clever, quick-thinker, impulse. Excellent arguer.

Coyote = Trickster (Although if we run mythology with this, trickster characters are occasionally well-meaning, just to shake things up).

Bear = Hard worker, slow to anger, stubborn as hell, nurturing of friends

_______ = Suggested for ethics/compassion (Turtle? I say turtle because Stephen King "See the Turtle of enormous girth!/On his shell he holds the earth./His thought is slow but always kind/He holds us all within his mind/On his back all vows are made,/He sees the truth but mayn’t aid./He loves the land and loves the sea,/And even loves a child like me."...and also Discworld)

________ = Wisdom, maybe? (Ok, so the gimme on this would be owl. But....Southwest America? I vote Raven.)

• Like x 2
  10. wes scripserat

11. emythos

I agree, go with crows or ravens.

12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

If we go for Raven or Crow house, maybe wisdom but also a tendency towards being cryptic? Ravens tend to ping me as that totally anoying kind of oracle that will give you nothing but hints. A talent for lying without technically doing so.

• Like x 1
  13. kmoss

kmoss whoops

My argument for Raven is that Crows are, I think, more typically, a trickster character. Ravens are supposed to be fairly wise (but they have the same tendency for stealing shiny stuff).
    And yeah, Ravens would be weirdly helpful but also fucking obnoxious, because they'd give you information, you'd need it later, and they'd pretend not to know what you were talking about when you talked about it later.

• Like x 3
  14. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I really like Turtle and Raven houses as well as the distinction between Intelligence and Wisdom.

15. wes scripserat

well yeah.
    honestly now that i think about it my character in this is a raven now that that exists.
    so elves from eragon?
    (they're magically bound to speak literal truth)

16. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yeah, except instead of the magical requirement, it's just their general way of being. But exactly like the elves from eragon, otherwise, with their talking in circles.

I think I'm still Coyote, actually. I mean, I've got that Slytherin deal of being weirdly protective of friendgroups vs anyone else, which I think has recently shuffled slightly over into Bear, but I think I get along better with Coyote Dorm. Sometimes the caretaker personality is like acid to my poor crazy brain.
    The trickster deal is a plus, too.

17. wes scripserat

i think i'd be with the coyotes in the day but hang out with the ravens after school?

18. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

I think I'd be a coyote that really enjoys trying to goad the ravens into loosing their cool, so maybe part coyote and part jackrabbit.

19. emythos

Bizarre combo of coyote and bear over here.

20. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yeah. Coyotes on most days, chill with the Bears on the bad days.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice