Origami!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by iff, Jan 1, 2017.

1. iff

iff Well-Known Member

I'm making an origami thread because I can

I hadn't thought about origami for a while but yesterday I found a stack of origami paper and have been making cats. and a puppy. and a fox but I can't find it now. they are adorable. and the cats and the dog are all matchy <3
    rps20170101_120818.jpg

I want to make more complicated stuff... look at this dragon!!

i'm so glad that YouTube exists because i can't read origami diagrams for shit

this documentary is pretty neat. or at least i thought it was way back when i watched it

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Like x 6
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I like origami a lot. It's the art of persistent rebirth. Your constructions are temporal. Very much so. And you're often doing the same patterns that someone else has done before you. But that doesn't make it any less artful than someone creating something entirely new (though entirely new is a debatable concept). You're giving birth to a form that has already existed before. Perfecting your technique. Joining hordes of others doing the same. It's both a mob and a phoenix. Origami is important.

I myself mostly do modular stuff. Lots of little identical units that I combine together to make geometric shapes. I'm very fond of little turtle units in particular.

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  3. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

o shit I love origami... back in high school there was a super complex looking dragon pattern my classmate found and Got Good at. I managed the head but something about the legs was just totally incomprehensible, it was maddening. fake edit: managed to find the pattern, along with a lot of other cute dragons
    [​IMG]
    it's this guy!!!

@iff that teeny dog is adorable, btw. and holy shit, modular geometric origami, what a good and pleasing variety of shapes. hey, has anyone ever found a good crab pattern? the ones I've found tend to be extremely boxy and 2D or else very much resembling a spider, which is not exactly what I need.

• Like x 3
  4. Aondeug

These things are fun to play with too!

[​IMG]

Because they're just so ridiculously flexible.

[​IMG]

Even the humble cube is sexy. And it is the jumping off point to chaos.

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  5. devils-avocado

R A I N B O W G E O M E T R Y

/hammers the 'like' button

6. Aondeug

This beautiful thing is the unit that you use in these constructions.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  7. iff

iff Well-Known Member

@devils-avocado ooooh what a long boy i like.
    the cat and the dog are from here

i made so much origami in secondary school. so many cranes. so soothing
    i periodically tried to make this one pegasus from a book but could never make it past step 20/94 or so. it was the worst. i'm looking at the diagram and it still looks infuriating, in fact
    eta: this one

@Aondeug those look so pleasing omg. I've never made any modular stuff even though it looks v much like my jam

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Like x 5
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

An old elementary school teacher used to do a lot of origami, and ocassionally she would let us do it as a craft, especially around the holidays. We would make all these stars around christmas, and it was loads of fun. They were our christmas decorations for a long time after I left elementary school too. Now I never do it anymore.

• Like x 1
  9. devils-avocado

/opens two dozen new tabs for origami

ok so apparently it is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to find a diagram of this one 3D rose, somebody taught me how to make it IRL and every time I want to make a new one I have to gently unfold an existing one to figure it out again. there are probably some videos but I'm a diagram person at heart. that said, I kind of get why basically everyone illustrates this one with photos, it is kind of a hassle to explain.
    [​IMG]
    the version I make has the center pinched and twisted into a little spiral to line up with the petals. it seems like it's called the kawasaki rose, along with a bunch of really similar variations which are also pretty, but slightly to significantly different

personal gripe: having to sort out which sites include or link to diagrams, and which sites host a bunch of finished-item photos with a billion tags and nothing else >:/

semi-realistic origami flowers are my weakness, I'm trying not to actively google 'origami orchids' until I go through all the open tabs I've already got

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  10. devils-avocado

EASY ORIGAMI DRAGON

I could maybe get used to this video thing
    (still wish there was a diagram for quick reference (the linked images are broken))

• Like x 1
  11. iff

iff Well-Known Member

whoops my brain didn't let me post here for a while
    *belated maniacal laughter*
    My dad was really into kawasaki roses for a while. they're v pretty and look super realistic! (for, y'know, origami)

anyway look at some stuff I made!
    rps20170119_220248.jpg
    and a large amount of intersecting tetrahedra
    rps20170119_224528.jpg
    with taped vertices because I'm not an origami wizard
    assembling it was at the same time a mindfuck and surprisingly easy. And fun
    I used this diagram
    ....now I want a smaller one (tiny origami ftw)

fakeedit: @devils-avocado is this like your swirly rose? it looks neat
    fakeedit 2: there are a lot of rose variants

• Like x 2
  12. devils-avocado

aww yeeeeee origamis <3 I am totally trying that dragon again, with like, sufficiently wide paper to ensure my sanity
    hey yeah, looks like it! something looks different about the underside, but the rest is identical. I like their pencilled-on landmarks and minimum necessary amount of precreasing (I was taught to really thoroughly precrease the paper, and in retrospect no wonder the landmarks are so hard to remember, lol)

13. devils-avocado

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Like x 1
  14. iff

iff Well-Known Member

in today's origami spam news, have a tiny dragon :3
    rps20170124_233017.jpg rps20170124_233048.jpg
    and a lil flying horsey, suck it, annoying diagram with confusing fake perspective
    this nice video was v helpful. i'm pretty sure it reorders the steps into sequences that make more sense, the actual diagram has wayyy too many curved lines for a thing made of folded paper

i made it out of A3 paper and it still broke a bunch. what did you use in hs, because my high school origami was consistently in too small paper and this would have been particularly infuriating

you'd think that such a simple looking thing wouldn't have so many steps, and yet

in other news this class about origami math is neat and highly relevant to my interests, not sure about everyone elses xd

• Like x 1
  15. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

man I wanna get on y'all's level???
    I usually do origami in lieu of fidget toys (and when teachers get >:| I very politely give them one and they Stop) so I've been sticking to Plain And Simple
    GOSH THOUGH the geometric and heavy fold ones look SO COOL

• Like x 3
  16. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i used to do a origami orchids all the time, and i was big into cranes for a while

i never got good at the more complex stuff and then i just stopped :/
    but those look so cool i wanna try it out again

• Like x 3
  17. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

I HAVE CONQUERED THE MAPLE LEAF

also, a dragon!
    image.jpeg
    also ngl that looks more like a weed leaf than a maple

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    • Like x 3
  18. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Guyyyyys guys guys

HOW ARE YOU SO AWESOME

I can do cranes, butterflies, lilies and also little two-winged cheat dragons which are really just cranes with a couple folds added on but hoooly shit

Y'ALL ARE EXTRA AS FUCK I LOVE IT

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  19. devils-avocado

omg show us the cheat dragons, that sounds adorable

• Like x 3
  20. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

IMG_20170207_112424.jpg

Two different sizes of cheat dragons! I literally just make cranes, twist the tails, double-fold the heads and sometimes fold the wings into different positions XDD (The bigger one is some of my cheap geometric A4 origami paper, the little blue one is from a scrap of note-paper with a doodle that didn't work out. I like making failed drawings into origami, XDDD)

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice