Ow, my fingers (polymer clay thread)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Meagen Image, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I got an idea to make some personalized fridge magnets for my in-laws and bought myself some FIMO clay. The project had mixed success, and I couldn't really think of anything else to do with them, so I put them away in a box with the rest of the Miscellaneous Art Stuff.

Last year I bought some Play-Doh on impulse and played around with it a little, which was good fun but the material definitely has its limitations you need to work around. So I wondered if that clay was still good.

Turns out, FIMO does eventually become crumbly and useless, but a little bit of Googling suggested that FIMO Mix-Quick (which is essentially just a bar of the "soft" component of the dough without any of pigment) might be able to help.

Long story short, yes it does, and I wanted some kind of project that would help me retain my interest, and I settled on making replicas of the heads of Minecraft YouTubers who play on Hermitcraft.

I oven-cured the first two and snapped some photos.

clayhermits01.jpg clayhermits02.jpg

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I did a Mumbo and it turned out okay!

Then I wanted to do a Bdubs Classic and Bdubs Anime Happy Face, so I mixed up a brown for the skin. But there wasn't quite enough for two heads, and I was running low on reconstituted black for the hair, and long story short they both became unsalvageably wonky and I had to turn them to scrap clay. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice