Owl Blogging

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by TheOwlet, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

fuck I love ssss pls continue liveblogging

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

3. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

From a webcomic called Stand Still Stay Silent!!! It's very good, gore warning, also death and animal death warning, but there is a kitten and she is very cute.

It's 100 years after the end of the world with giant fucked up zombies of humans and animals and a quirky team venturing into the unknown wilderness to get rare books from the old world and explore it!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ok but both of you are still withholding pictures of the kitten! :P

5. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Oh yes, how silly of me! one sec!

6. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

• Winner x 6
  7. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

3dbc20b59379bcbd9e4f412c3f38a154.jpg

• Winner x 5
  8. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Missekatte is very very good

• Agree x 2
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

KITTEN! Thank mew.

• Like x 1
  10. TheOwlet

I'm having thinky thoughts about ssss

I'm kinda hoping we get to see non-nordic magic somehow because i'm deeply curious as to how much of the differences between finnisch and icelandic magic is inherent and how much is expectation. Like, there obvs are considerable parallels and i don't think we have a good negativ control

Like, the information leaflet assures that danes/swedes follow the icelandiv model of spirit companions, but i am highly doubtful of the accuracy because they themselves don't (allegedly...) have mages, so the perception of visiting icelandic mages could be again skewed by cultural expectation.

I'm also thinking that because i suspect it's no coincidence that finns believe a lounto happens later in life, namely at teething. See, i think that post-rash, infant mortality skyrocketed. And it would do that most the more modern tech is lost. Tgat would mean that Finnland has the highest infant death rate. And under such conditions, many cultures across the globe have posited that a human only counts as a 'full' human after they're through the delicate period (so only naming a toddler at a certain age etc) and the finnisch understanding seems to run in the same direction.

Additionally i think we have some narrative support for this. In the prologue, there's a little joke about a 'traditional Sauna birth'. I think that is PRECISRLY what is the common method post-rash, and accordingly, we'd see a higher perinatal mortality of mother and child simply based on lack of emergency obgyn care.

But anyways,back to mage theory:

It makes sense that icelandic mages would Form the impression on swede/dane spirit companions, simply because they are the vocal ones. Norwegians are trained in the icelandic type, and finns don't travel that far that often, in part because of the language barrier. As such, it seems very plausible to me that an icelandic mage, who expects people - even those who don't even believe in magic - to have a spirit companion from birth to see exactly that, and thus form the prevaldnt impression upon those things

Wheras a finn doesn't expect to see anything of the sort and thus might not, but their impression mighg simply not have made it into the common perception.

Additionally, it might tie with the mages reaction to spurits. Lalli expects spirits to mainly not care about humans, because apparently that is the finnisch idea about them, so whdn he sees the dangerous one, he classifies thdm as 'weird' but not dangerous - though that might also be a failed perception check due to exhaustion, he was in a terrible state.
    Meanwhile reynier, who barely got any mage training (but what he has is icelandic) immediately recognizes the spiritis as a threat, perhaps because spirits don't feature as prominently in icelandic practice, so he has little preconcieved notions of them.

I'd be interested in seeing in how far expectations form a mages reality.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  11. TheOwlet

Also god their group is poorly laid out even with the money constrsints. Their sole mage needs a translator - in itself a massiv risk,if tuuri is even momentarily unavailable, precious time would be lost. Their sole mage is also their sole Scout, who has to day and night Scout. To nobody's surprise, a tired and exhausted Scout makes mistakes.

No cat. Like yes a grade cats are expensive, but as Kitty demonstrates, even a regular housecar would have been useful from the getgo.

Two non-immune people from the getgo, one which is the translator needed to talk go the scout/mage. That's a horrjble setup, rife with lethal complucations.

And like, reynir wasn't planned, but having a secondary mage is obviously a good Move, even an untrained one

Honestly considering the setup, it's extremely lucky tgat so far (chapter 10) nobody has died messily yet.

• Agree x 4
  12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

It looks like you're exactly right! The internet says that Our Lady's bird became ladybug in the U.S.

I had to ask Danish friend how to say that because she knows how to pronounce German a lot better than I do. She then informed me that in Danish it's Mariehøne, St. Mary chicken.

• Winner x 5
  13. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

that'd be why the UK version is ladybird, then

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. TheOwlet

... ssss ships so far:

Emil/lalli. listen. LISTEN. it's perfect. I love it so much and they clearly care. Not great at showing it but it's def there

reynir/onni: mage power couple or 'reynir's achievements in ignorance reach the romantic dimension'

sigrun/mikkel: you can't tell me that she's not five minutes short of calling mikkel's dad and asking about his dowry. She want to pick this man up and carry him home to Norway to make all the other trollhunters jealous. That's her wife now.

• Winner x 1
  15. TheOwlet

also: i reached chapter 13 and oh nooooooooooo

• Witnessed x 2
  16. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

oh noooooooo :(

hugs?

• Like x 1
  17. TheOwlet

We're gonna have to cover a sister lab for tge ENTIRE weekend wrt TropT and TSH and god that means sleepless nights i can already tell. Motherfuck.

• Witnessed x 7
  18. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

TropT I get, but why TSH?

19. TheOwlet

same analyzer as the TropT, and if they need an pressing CT, well.

20. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you guys in Germany always do a TSH before you scan someone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice