Owl Blogging

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by TheOwlet, Oct 14, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I strongly associate it with 4chan, with everything that implies.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

because why not (let's revive an old meme)

1. chlorophyll, freshly made hay, warm metal, a hint of ozone, a hint of smoke (both wood and plastic)
    2. woodpolish, sawdust, lacquer, wet earth, disinfectant
    3. snow, blood, opium tar, decay, burgmansia
    4. leather, metal
    5. myrrh incense, freshly washed linen, ozone, lemon blossom, spices (cloves, cinnamon, pepper, coffee)
    6. sea water and champagne
    7. frost, dust

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

4. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

guessing 1 is Felidae and 2 is Updraft. Might have that backwards.

5. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

6. TheOwlet

Correct!

Also correct (and the right way around!)

Sure is!

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  7. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

4. Petric maybe?

8. TheOwlet

yup

9. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

And I wanna say Ariel for 6 but that's possibly because I'm runnin out of characters and seawater puns :P

10. TheOwlet

nope

6 is Undertow!

11. TheOwlet

Callout post for surgical ward:

I dunno if this is surgeon dumb or surgical nurse dumb, but if you summon me out of bed at 2am, with the word 'emergency' and i come downstairs to an admission lab (+tropt) of a Patient who's been here a week, i'm going to assume that someone's being an idiot who doesnt kniw what the parameters for an acute cardiac event are, and i will hate

• Witnessed x 7
  12. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

thing i found. which. reminded me. and so i must share because i figure you might find it amusing too.

'counterpoint mausoleums are an attempt to appease a necromancers goth sensibilities so they will ransack other graveyards instead

“oh but id hate to ruin these marble aesthetics and lovingly crafted skulls”, the necromancer says'

• Winner x 5
  13. TheOwlet

FUCK

that's so accurate it's killing me a little. I mean matt's the same necromancer who'll ensure that if there's flowers on top of a grave he disturbed, they'll be put back in order with minimal damage because look. Someone cared about this grave. Mustn't let it look like someone just took a digger to it. That shit's just rude.

• Winner x 4
  14. Aondeug

He is a good man that way.

• Agree x 2
  15. TheOwlet

Matt is a dick in many ways, but he takes his duties as a necromancer very seriously.

• Winner x 1
  16. Aondeug

SO WHERE IT COUNTS.

really though i do honestly think he is a very nice man. just...in specific ways about specific things.

• Agree x 3
  17. TheOwlet

one of the things i really REALLY like about the friendscord is that people are so enthusiastic? about things?

Like just, talking about it and you can feel the joy coming out of the screen, it's adorable and the best thing

and also like, it makes me wanna get into those things, often times? Because you guys are being so enthusiastic and welcoming and it's just 'here i love this thing, come and love it with me' and it's a fanastic thing and I want you all to know that I really enjoy it, and enjoy being infodumped on about everyone's favourite topic because just. It's something you enjoy so much and i get to enjoy it with you even if I'm not involved in thing and it just...feels good and i love it and love you all.

• Like x 9
  18. TheOwlet

DnD character so that i don't forget anything:

Saween Seasalt, Selkie Ranger

Her sealform is a Ringed Seal

Her background is... a homebrew also, called 'Raised by Druids' and gets her: two profs from the Druid list, tools profs for navigation tools and water vehicles, and the equipement as from the Sailor bg: A belaying pin (club), 50 feet of silk rope, a lucky charm (A piece of ocean-washed amber with a hole drilled in it) a set of common clothes including her disguised sealskin, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp'
    And as a feature: she gets one (1) cantrip from the Druid cantrip list. She can switch cantrips when she levels up, but it's only ever one cantrip

Her backstory is as such:

There's an island out in the sea where a colony of selkies lives. Not a tropical island, but like the climate as you might find in the Baltic Sea. They're kinda rare and people are weird about them, but a group of druids on the nearest bigger island has taken with protecting the selkies and ensuring that nobody gets any fancy ideas about seal hunting. The druids also teach Saween about the rest of world, and she gets so curious that one day, she packs up two harpoons (think short, heavy spears with mean barbed tips), some assorted other stuff, wraps it all up in oil skin real good, turns into a seal... and swims off to discover the world. She does regularly write home to the Druid islands, sending little trinkets along with the letters, such as feathers from strange birds, or pressed flowers, or minerals, or at one occasion: an envelope filled with black sand. The druids deliver her letters to her colony then. Saween does quite miss her family, but she's not tired of traveling yet.

Her looks:
    she's short (as selkies are wont to be), and fat (again: her seal), with mousey grey-brown-blonde hair that always got that surfer look about, and MANY freckle and either a really good suntan or just that skincolor. Nobody's found out yet. She looks to be in her mid twenties, but selkies age differently, so she's actually bit younger than that in 'human' years.

Her personality:
    She's very curious, social and friendly, and exactly the sort of chatter away about whatever, and go 'OH LOOK A WOODPECKER' in the middle of a very involved conversation about arrow design, and then go right back to arrow design. She's also a good story teller. Not exactly a liar, at least not about important stuff, but she knows that weird stories buy more drinks/meals, and honestly if she's got the choice of telling a boring story about something unimportant, and telling an interesting story, she's always gonna go for the interesting one. So like, she might vanish from the town for weeks on end and smack a bigass tusk down on the tavern bar like 'they WALK on those things! like millipedes!' when they very much don't, but that's just more fun than telling people that you fought a boar on steroids and ended up rodeo-riding it while trying to stab it to death.

• Winner x 6
  19. TheOwlet

It is....time for a character essay. Because I'm me and I'm terrible and also I love my horrible trash son, this is about Matt (naturally), except the Destiny incarnation this time around so...not what's been rolling around the forums here getting up close and personal with fae and tentacle nonsense.

Basically, this is gonna be about his relationship with @kastilin 's Al and Lykos, who are twins (what's it with Matt and twins? Tho admittedly he's not gonna get anywhere with Lily xD).

Essentially his relationships with them are...starting out at very opposite ends of the scale? Lyk meets him first, and brings him into the clan, and they go from 'potential? murder?' to sex in like, less than an hour. Lyk gets physical intimacy very, very quickly, but then again Matt is usually very free with that. He likes sex, he thinks she's damn hot, so why not? But he also starts out knowing a bigass secret about her, something that could get her in real trouble with basically everyone, and he just...keeps it. Because he knows - for reasons that go to far here, but he does - that it's not hat it looks like and won't hurt people.

Meanwhile him meeting Al is a lot more awkward. He mistook him for Lyk while getting food in the dead of night, smacked his ass, went 'that's not the ass i was expecting to be touching there, oh no'.
    And things progress from there to emotional intimacy. They enjoy breaking physics together, and Matt's reaction to being told about Al's somewhat strange hobbies is ':D lemme bring you more stuff!' and... Al is very oblivious to Matt hinting that hey, sex is on the table if he wants it. But Al never takes him up on it. So instead of getting Matt naked and sweaty, he instead gets...all the emotional vulnerable parts. He's the first to learn about Matt's health issues and traumas and nightmares, and the first person Matt trusts absolutely. Because with Al he's sure that it's not about sex because while they do eventually end up in bed, they're already best friends for a long time before that happens.

So the twins are... at opposite ends of the scale. Matt likes Lyk, he's very attached to her, but he also spends a long time thinking that she's only in it for the sex and entertainment value. So she gets to apply some sexy murder to him because he trusts her to do that and not be weird about it, and he's right.

Al meanwhile has his absolute trust - for a long time without any sexual dimension to it. And Matt trust him with all his secrets. There's at this point...basically nothing Al doesn't know about him.

Plus there's also a competitive angle? Al and Matt start out cooperative. Like I said, they enjoy cooperatively breaking physics over their knees (example one: what if we use gravitional lensing to shoot laser around corners!). Meanwhile Lyk and Matt are SO competitive. In bed, and out of it. Who can get the higher killstreaks in missions, who wins crucible watches, knife fights against each other as foreplay, that sort of thing. Matt enjoys that, a lot, but it also means that some part of him is aware that it means showing weakness in front of her might be something she'll take advantage off in the future. Not that he minds ending up on the bottom, or even submissive, because he does sub for her quite happily, but he wants it to be a fair fight, y'know?

That also shows in the way they treat power exchange scenarios. With Al, Matt is in control, most of the time, because Al asks him to. Matt would sub for him, but Al doesn't want him to. In fact Al trusts Matt enough to get collared by him for a scene which is A Big Damn Thing and Matt's very conscious of that and very careful not to overstep the limits there, and be careful with safewords and checking back. It's about a very careful way of control and pain is rarely the focus point. There's usually a pretty firm line on who's in charge, and usually it's Matt.
    With Lyk, pain is a biiiig center point. They both like it. They bite and claw and cut at each other. Control is still important, but the sheer physical sensation of pain matters a lot more. And usually it's Matt yielding in the end. The entire thing tends to be more planned out by now because Oh Boy have these two run into issues with each other where a safeword would have been useful. So there's going to be more negotiation, but there's also less...clear cut decisions on who is in control, because they both want to be, kinda.
    For example there was a bit recently where Matt and Lyk were going to a party, and he went and asked her to pick his clothes, only rule 'don't get me for public indecency'. But Matt also got to do up her corset, with the explicit order to make it as tight as he could. He got his makeup done by her, while she was sitting on his lap, in underwear. ​
    It's a constant yielding/taking of control with a lot of situations being... like, Lyk had control, but also she was very much performing a service for him and that's very emblematic for their relationship? Because they're balanced, but the balance is very dynamic. They don't stand as solidly as Matt/Al do.

And then Things Happen and... it ends up with both twins in the same place. Al gets the sexual intimacy on top of things, while still being best friends. But they very firmly decide that what they're having is not a romantic relationship. It could be, but frankly Matt would run for the hills at the idea of a committed romantic relationship and they're happy as 'best friends who have a lot of sex' so that's what they're doing. If they go on dates and give each other gifts and the rest of the world mistakes them for a couple? That's the rest of the world's problem. They know what they are and they're happy with it.

Meanwhile Lyk realizes that no actually, she does love this tiny bastard too, and she missed him during her one year tantrum and that the tantrum hurt him and that that matters to her. Because their relationship is much more grounded in sexuality than in emotion it takes them a while to work that out. It takes a bit for Matt to not just hear but also really internalize that no, she cares, it's not about how much fun he is for her. And it takes a bit for her too to like, open up and communicate things. They've both, at that point, kept each other at a careful distance, at least emotionally, because that way you don't get hurt.
    But they do work it out! And talk about what they are and what they want to be, and they reach a very similar point that Al/Matt does. They're not in a romantic relationship - Lyk's very much aro, she doesn't do that sort of attachment - but they care about each other, a lot. They love each other. But it's not exclusive and it's not romantic. Lyk can't do that, and Matt very much doesn't want it and settling that helps a lot for them, I think. Because now they're at a place where things have a name, and they don't have to pretend they don't care about each other. They're more comfortable with each other and the state of things now, up to the point where openly displaying what they are to each other is fine.

And I just love that development, how these relationships started at very different point but ended up in...not the same spot, but in the same building. They find a balance that's similar, but only up to point, and the road to getting there is very different for each of them and it's just VERY *chefkiss* all over and developing these interactions has been a huge blast and so like... Thank you Kas for putting these disaster zones together and everyone getting better for it <3

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. TheOwlet

Today on 'how are you still alive??'

Patient comes in with a Lipase so high the machine refused to do it *twice*. Both the pure, and once the 1:20 dilution were so high the thing refused to give a value

I ended up diluting 1:30 by hand and that only just squeezed in and...

Normal Lipase is <60 U/l

This one clocked in at 33k U/l

Now that's what i call acute pancreatitis

• Witnessed x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice