Owl Blogging

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by TheOwlet, Oct 14, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

they tried the same in Germany and got slapped in courts, at least, about not being allowed to undercut and also a number of legal things (such as the driver not having the license to actually drive people about) so rn in germany they're only allowed to use licensed rental car or taxi services to send cars about.

And like, I'm aware that that's the case because Germany has a fairly strong social safety net, and union culture, and that courts to usually uphold both - there was recently a case where someone who basically worked enough in a gig-economy environment, for so long, that the court ruled the person was legally an employee of the firm and thus entitled to all usual bells and whistles of a gainful employment here.
    But again, I'm well aware that that's something that's unlikely to happen elsewhere and it's driving me up the dang wall.

• Like x 1
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

i envy germany's unions really. i respect them. you guys got fucking walmart to fuck off if i recall. i really hope that at some point america can get its union culture to even a fraction of that.

• Agree x 3
  3. TheOwlet

we did! partly with unions, and partly because germany has laws against predatory pricing and enforces them. Like, Walmart's thing to sell at loss to outprice the competition is straight up illegal and they got smacked for it.

Also, from personal experience: company i work for doesn't have a union per se, but a Betriebsrat, which is basically a mini-union. With got me: a payraise over the last three years, more vacation days, extra pay for saturdays, and christmas and vacation pay. This is again something that's enshrined in law to happen. If employees are unhappy they can form a Betriebsrat and there's...bsically nothing the company itself can do to stop them without falling afoul of the law.
    Which mind, people can still get bullied out because Companies Are Bastards but at least there have been efforts made to give employees more of a leg to stand on wrt communal negotiation.

See also: i am so used to strikes? and i usually don't mind. like yeah the pilots are striking for more money, good for them. The doctors are striking for better work hours, good for them also. Like we might bitch and moan because it's inconvenient but i think that it's generally accepted that's the intention of a strike and should not be interfered with.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

god yeah "No crossing the picket line unless severe emergency or actual inability to live your own life otherwise" is so enshrined in german culture. i feel bad every time i have to take public transport during a strike but it's not like i can *walk* so yknow.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. TheOwlet

*cries about raid things again*

why why WHY must Divinity be locked behind 'do this entire very complicated raid, plus extra riddles, in one sitting'.

Why must it be THIS raid that's like this? DSC we can do in less than 2h if things go well. the last attempted divinity run took 12h and failed.

I'm just. Why This.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  6. TheOwlet

So that raid took us 12h and still failed last time?

We nailed it. in 2h flat. I got divinity, Kas got Divinity, we're free to wreck havoc on the world now. I'm just. baffled. This was the fastest we've ever done the raid and that's despite the puzzles???

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

...what the fuck. that is a huge time difference.

• Agree x 2
  8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Did something just click for y'all this time?

9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Idk, it didnĀ“t hurt that the whole thing seemed less glitchy than last attempt, but also.

10. TheOwlet

idk we just. Today we just vibed like we've never vibed before. like, the second to last encounter we've never done in a single attempt? and today? Today we did. Clean two-phase. We did the first two encounters in one attempt too, and only needed two for the boss. This was damn near the perfect run and i don't know what was going on except we didn't seem to have the glitch problems we had last time and also just.

The Traveller game gods were smiling upon today.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I think it also helped that we started early, did a lot of superstitious good rng producing rituals and that we went in with a team where everyone had done the raid before, and the puzzles before in parts or whole and everyone had a job they were very comfortable doing. Plus we're just getting real damn good at raiding :P

• Winner x 2
  12. TheOwlet

Look it's not superstitious i'm just wearing the tags you made me and you all had your Ghosts out to Witness us and it just. worked i guess.

But yeah this was like my second ever garden clear according to Charlie. and just. wow. went right from 'suffering' to 'fuck this vex mind in particular, actually'.

Maybe... maybe we've become Atual Gamers.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  13. TheOwlet

Sometimes you have to ply (and/or threaten) rng with plushies and jewelry and coordinated emblems and emotes. The gaming gods are fickle after all.

• Agree x 3
  14. TheOwlet

Alright time for character thoughts again re: Destiny!Matt

Who's undergone some significant upheaval in recent game timeline, so his Throneworld (it's Complicated) changed quite a bit, and that in turn made me think of the trees that symbolize his clanmates that grow in there. So. Here's a list because i am Like That and refuse to change.

• Al: weeping willow halfway grown over a bench that looks to be both Dreaming City crystal and part of a minotaur statue. The leaves are more blue tinged than you'd expect
    • Lyk: ash tree in full autumn glory, with light and dark moving under the bark, a bed of moss set underneath. Gains little flowers in the moss that might or might not look like the seed of silver wings post!arrival
    • Hall: a japanese maple, bonsai shaped but larger, bent ideally so that you can sit on it
    • Aegis: a silver birch in yellow autumn colors. the 'eyes' on the bark blink.
    • Zener: not a tree but one of those gnarled wine plants that says 'this winery has been here for 500 years and will be here 500 more'
    • Ency: a magnolia tree in bloom. each flower carries a void spark in the center
    • Val: the biggest baryon bough you've ever seen. Moves across the garden.
    • Calamity: a small fir tree hidden under ivy
    • Maggie: an apple tree, at once flowering and carrying fully ripe fruit
    • Reagan: a young lark, except the cones are actually miniature ether spirals
    • Tes: A truly gnarled juniper, the kind you find right at the tree-line. it's roots grow through cabal-helmets, leaving them half-absorbed into the trunk
    • Poly: a common box tree, shaped like either a dick, a hand flipping you off, or a warbeast, depending on whenever you're looking at it. sometimes it changes while you're looking at it

Naturally Mod has a plant as well: She's got a lotos flower, placed in the exact center of the central pond. Its petals change color between the alignments and pure white

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. TheOwlet

accountability:

tomorrow:
    fix up mail for dave, ivy and cody as far as possible
    buy couch (IKEA)

• Like x 1
  16. TheOwlet

couch options:

Klippan in light blue or Norsborg in bright green

currently prefering the Norsborg despite the prize because it fits my apartment a bit better in size and also...pockets... and the green is genuinely a nice color

17. TheOwlet

angy update: IKEA doesn't deliver to me rn and i cannot fit a dang couch into my car so i guess that means no new couch for me

hatred

• Witnessed x 5
  18. TheOwlet

Alright, since the shot i'll get on friday is the one more prone to side effects, gonna use tomorrow trip to the supermarket + post office to buy some 'things you can eat even if your body is sous-viding itself'
    Nothing fancy but maybe like instant pudding or something like that.

• Winner x 2
  19. TheOwlet

me: hmm i don't write much

also me: bangs out 2k words in two hours because the OC Inspitation Muse frenched me just now.

• Winner x 5
  20. TheOwlet

So, thinking a bout Destiny again, and different alignments class' abilities feel/manifest maybe.

So, warlocks get a rift, which can be either Healy, or a damage buff:

Solar:
    Healy: warm, relaxing. Sleeping in the sun
    Buff: Activating. Like 'first Spring day after Winter and you wanna go out and DO something

Arc
    Healy: energizing. Caffeine directly into your brain.
    Buff: adrenaline, pure and unfiltered

Void
    Healy: soothing, cool pillow in a hot night
    Buff: grounding, steadying

Stasis
    Healy: cold, numbing. The best ice pack you ever had
    Buff: extreme focus

For the other classes i'm not as sure? I don't Titan and i very barely Hunter, but i'd think that Titan rally barricade feels very similar to a buff-rift, since it has a similar effect in-game

The other barricades tho....

Solar: layer of air so hot it vaporizes incoming ammo

Arc: magnetism, babey. Bullet ain't coming through that

Void: highly localized gravity well that either stops ammo by pulling it to the ground, or causes such a massive time dillation it just never hits

Stasis: crystalized air forming a literal wall

Hunter Dodge is mostly an internal effect to reload, regain melee, or just like. Dodge. So i don't think you'd get anything from outside or that it would feel overly different from just running the alignment in General?

Exception being one of the void dodges which makes you invisible, which i like to think is gravitational lensing

Also for arc hunters the Dodge IMO should feel like a sppedboost, suddenly running on double speed, to let you reload guns, while stasis hunter gets there by extreme focus again, i think.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice