Owl Blogging

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by TheOwlet, Oct 14, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

i'm back on my bullshit wrt Shermih, my murderbug

Who currently is sitting here with her boyfriend like 'yes i just told you that i used to eat people, and it's very sweet that you're promising i'll never have to again.... but it's really not that bad?'

Like, she grew up like that. 'if you're weak you get eaten' has been a fact of her life for as long as she remembers. The new state of 'not being hungry all the time' and not having to fight for food or eat your hatchmates is the by far weirder state to her right now.
    On some level she understands that this upsets people, and she would not want anyone in the Enclave to go through that but mostly because she's afraid they'd die. She doesn't really understand it as traumatizing, she's not traumatized per se but right now she's struggling to adapt to a world where those rules don't apply anymore, and it makes her skittish towards most people.

• Winner x 8
  2. TheOwlet

also, some Hive growth cycle headcanons because if Bungie refuses to unhand the xenobiology, I will make my own:

what if Hive egg hatch into like lil larval things that then burrow into the nearest corpse or...well, the nearest thing that can't get away fast enough, so injured other hive are game too.
    Anyhow, they burrow into that and like parasitic wasps eat it from the inside out and then form a cocoon. That's those weird yellow blobby things you see in hive nests.
    They mature in there and then hatch into Thralls and Thralls just eat whatever's in range when they're hungry and they might not be like, properly cognizant? At least not at the start, takes a while for all to come online and the first stages are probably nothing that has a lot of memory tied to it.
    Shermih probably went through that but not...quite? Like she probably didn't hatch a weird larva and more like an underdeveloped eliksni hatchling and had like hands so 'shovel things into mouth' went somewhat quicker, and she grew quick and ate a lot of wormlike things in her infancy (oops) but she also remembers more of it than usual because her metamorphosis in the cocoon was less extensive. She probably came out with more mental facilities already working and now she's trying to work out how much of what she remembers is 'things i must not tell anyone about'

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. TheOwlet

After kintsu had issues disease last week, been backing up the rps i got on here and there are....so many words...

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  4. TheOwlet

so a while ago i started a project of 'collect kitchen scraps to make stock from' and realized, since this is my first attempts, i should catalogue a bit of what i got in there, in case the result is horrid and needs workshopping

• skins: onion, garlic, potato
    • cutoffs: potato, tomato, mushroom (oyster), leeks
    • tops/bottoms: onion, garlic, Mairübchen (mild white turnip), bok choi, carrots
    • peels: carrots, celery root, ginger, Mairübchen, rhubarb (hoping for a fresh acidic note)
    • misc: apple cores because Why Not, herb mix from pickled herring because Why Not, left over ginger chunks I had in my water.
    Still considering: if i should try adding some zests if I happen to produce any before my box of scraps is full (opinions?)

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like x 2
  5. TheOwlet

okay so, stock made.

it turned out quite dark, which is probably because I prefer red onions, and thus my onions skins were red. the entire thing tastes good, heavy on the fennel and with a light bitter note (from the rhubarb? the bok choi??). Any contribution from the apple seems to have been lost but TBH there were only two apple cores in the entire mix.

I also added a star anise, some pepper and a bit of salt. The entire thing resulted in a little more than half a liter of liquid.

That said, I do like it and I'll certainly use it - and started a new box of scraps which so far only contains garlic skins, see how this one turns out different, since my food plans for the next week include my dad's eggplant-tomato-feta casserole, and sweet potato pancakes.

• Like x 1
  6. TheOwlet

new stock scraps box, started yesterday:

cutoffs: tomato,
    tops/bottoms: eggplant, bell pepper, sweet potato, potato
    peels: sweet potato, potato, ginger, medlar
    skins: garlic
    misc: apple cores, lemon zest

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Like x 3
  7. TheOwlet

I'm going to throw medlar peels in there. and lemon zests .

This attempt will be a sort of fruity stock, I suspect. I don't care, I'm doing science here. food science. Tasty science maybe.

• Like x 2
  8. TheOwlet

i don't buy a lot of makeup because my skin has Issues (Sebborhoeic eczema) so i can't wear a lot of makeup. I used to do a lot of nailpolishes, but because of work i can't do that either anymore.

So all that's left is perfume (BPAL owns my soul) and...lipstick and mascara.

So I ordered this today, and then this to go over top (or y'know, single) because they looked so good and i just would like to wear the occasional bit of makeup

• Like x 4
  9. TheOwlet

Am a feeling blergh because brain screm, weather nonsense or because my immune system cottoned onto the shot?

Who knows but i wish to ve less blergh

• Witnessed x 2
  10. TheOwlet

want to spend time with friends but also friends are doing different things and live in different time zones and i work full time with occaisonal nights and just. hnnnnn. wanna hang out. cannot. *shakes brain. shakes the concept of time*

• Witnessed x 4
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

-noofs lots-

• Like x 1
  12. TheOwlet

*noofs back*

• Winner x 1
  13. TheOwlet

Mass Effect Remaster dropped and my Talegion fic is getting sudden kudos influx and man. Feels good.

• Winner x 4
  14. TheOwlet

Made the stock and it's good! It's very different from the first one, none of the bitter notes (was it the rhubarb? the turnip tops?) and instead of a sort of tart fruitness from the medlars and the apple and lemon, but not so sweet you can't use it as stock, in part because the eggplant/bellpepper/celery root keep it savoury, I think.
    And considering that i only added a star anise for spice it has a lot of zing, presumably from all that ginger, I ended up not just using the peels but also a few chunks that were used to flavour my water. I thought they'd be weak after being soaked. I was wrong. It's delicious.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Winner x 2
  15. TheOwlet

next stock will be a fish one!

fishy things: bones/head/fins from 2 trouts
    peels: potato, sweet potato
    skins: lemon, garlic
    misc: lemon zest

Wonder what else to put in there... I have recipes for both mussels and scampi that i've meant to try since forever, could go and see if i can get those soon and then yeet the shells into the stock pile. Does anyone know if boiling mussel shells does even do anything?

16. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Prawn/shrimp shells definitely work!

• Like x 1
  17. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I know you can boil mussel shells to clean 'em, idk if they'd add anything to a stock.

18. TheOwlet

some poking around the internet suggests i can keep the steaming/boiling liquid of mussels as stockbase, but the shells themselves don't take like much, so I might do that, yeet the shells and then just dunk the rest of my stock ingredients into that liquid to make Improved Stock.

• Winner x 1
  19. TheOwlet

things i gotta do tomorrow/wednes after work:

- call doc to get refill
    - grocery shopping
    - get to bank, fetch cash + bank statements

20. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Late but I've had turnip greens before as like a dish in and of themselves and unless treated very specifically they definitely are bitter so I'm willing to bet it was turnip greens

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice