Owlet's Embroidery/Sewing Boogaloo

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by TheOwlet, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I might just do one threadlength as a compromise???

@spockandawe /why is embroidery so good???/

2. TheOwlet

Update: did a thread of gold and my wrist HATES

Gonna Not Embroider over the weekend to pacify it.

• Agree x 1
  3. TheOwlet

Apparently I'm not good at this whole 'no embroidery for the weekend' deal, ahahhaha

Anyways, here's a progress shot from my second round of gold thread going around, hopefully showing the before after.
    IMG_20180831_185543[1].jpg
    Everything above the blue marker is doubled up, everything below it still needs that double

You can also see the square woven in pattern that gave me no end of grief during the initial stitching because it pulls every which way to make GIANT ugly gaps/holes in the pattern and fabric. It's like half the reason why I felt I needed a second round to begin with
    But tbh as far along as I am now, the second round really does look a lot better and more solid.

• Winner x 5
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

That looks so awesome!! I can definitely see the difference when the thread is doubled, and it really, really pops with both rounds of stitching in place. And if the square weave gave you trouble, that doesn't show up in the end result. This is coming out fantastic!

• Like x 1
  5. TheOwlet

Thank you <3 !! I tried to take a picture of a spot where the square weave was just about killing me, but it doesn't photograph well because SMOL DETAIL.

6. TheOwlet

Oh, and here's a bit of doubled up silver thread! Only the upper arch of the right knot is doubled over yet, but it does look quite a bit more solid than the single thread version.
    IMG_20180831_192359[1].jpg

Fake edit: some of the square weave fuckery is visible too!! Look how those threads pull apart ugh ugh ugh.

7. TheOwlet

finished the gold portion! It's all doubled up and my thread was JUST ABOUT long enough so go me!

Now on tomorrow's oncall shift I can start making inroads on the silver parts.

• Winner x 6
  8. TheOwlet

Made good progress on the silver portion during oncall last night but I made the mistake that during it, I kept holding the fabric stretched via slightly overextended ring finger.
    And now the middle joint of my left ring finger absolutely fucking hates me, and the universe in general.

• Witnessed x 2
  9. TheOwlet

An update: i'm still working on doubling up on the silver thread but it's going well.
    In fact i think i leveled my embroidery skills up and but my ability points into Agility. I can currently finish one of those silver knots in less than 10 minutes.

• Winner x 1
  10. TheOwlet

IT IS FINISHED

i will post pictures at some point but it is doooooone

and I'm already eyeing up a new project and because i have. idk, some sorta issue with setting myself reasonable goals i guess, i wanna try and make a Soundwave plushie. With a zipper around the cassette deck so that I can stuff a plush ravage in there.
    I have never done a plushie that complicated and my last plushie - period - is like a decade in the past so that's gonna be an experience.
    starting point will be to nick some delivery boxes from work when we next get stuff and build a cardboard soundy to figure out how to pattern.

• Winner x 2
  11. TheOwlet

New year new project!!
    Take a wild guess whom I'm attempting to make a plushie out of

[​IMG]

ideally I will put a zipper around the cassette deck, line the opening and then by some magic, sew a tiny Ravage to go inside. I'm not sure how but y'know that's not stopped me yet.

Also: cardboard model will be taken apart at strategic points after aseembly because I'm going to handsew this bitch life with no sewing machine... so I want as few seams as possible

• Winner x 4
  12. TheOwlet

[​IMG]

Leggy done, arm done, cannon attached. Only gonna do one arm/leg because hey they're symetric I can just flip the template over to the other and safe me some work

Wil attempt to plot out the head on tuesday, since the thing's fiddly as fuck and I expect to be more tricky than the rest.

13. TheOwlet

THE PATTERN MODEL IS FINISHED

[​IMG]

Now i gotta buy fabric (penciled in for friday), potentially some thread and fabric marker and I'll be ready to start taking this apart and get sewing

• Like x 2
  14. TheOwlet

FLEECE CAME IN!!!!

THe shop didn't have the blue I needed (or...any blue for that matter) so I had to mail order and it arrived today!!! and i couldn't hold back and did the first upper arm and it's looking so good i'm so happy!! and proud of mysself because!! ARM!!

• Winner x 4
  15. TheOwlet

thinking in 3D and wrong side-out is hard, news at 11, owl preservating on this like you wouldn't believe.

16. TheOwlet

plan for friday: finish right arm, plot out (and label!!) left arm, pin it together, then take it to oncall on saturday.

17. TheOwlet

I forgot to post a picture of the arm so! ARM.

[​IMG]

I'm having the impression that one of the sides is larger than the other.... might have to remeasure but honestly if so I can relatively easily take the side in another milimeter on both sides and that should fix it.

side was larger (fabric stretch? overdid the seam allowance?) and i took it in two milimeter and lo it's much tighter now and less flabby.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Winner x 1
  18. TheOwlet

ARM IS DONE I REPEAT FIRST ARM IS DONE. Makes tomorrow's goal of 'second arm' feel more...reasonable...

[​IMG]

• Winner x 6
  19. TheOwlet

This is def learnjng by doing. Second arm is coming along well and lemme tell you it looks much tidier already. Got may better symetry on the sides and i think the joins of the separate parts are neater, too.

Also: dekorative seams need more thread that expected, note to self: buy more white and red thread on wednesday (also Scout for grey/black fleece or felt for ravage...)

20. TheOwlet

BOTH ARMS DONE NOW!!

They are indeed slightly asymetric but fuck iiiiit i got two arms and the second one is neater than the first so hey maybe i'm actually like learning

• Winner x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice