P.C. Hodgell's Kencyrath series

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Morven, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Theme is just so important. It's fucking vital to my giving a shit. There's something Kiernan said about plots and how any idiot off the street can come up with a decentish plot. Theme and character work though? That's where the meat of a work is. That helped me figure out a lot of what it is I actually like about writing. It's not plot. Plot is just kind of incidentally there. It's a tool to show the things I actually care about. Hell it's not even necessary to have, though sustained plotless writing that gets me going is very hard to find. Hodgell is very good at theme and character. Very good.

Also I am very, very, very giddy about the Tyr-Ridan thing and how it is similar to various things in a variety of religions and mythologies. We've got avatars of a god, a three faced god, hero twins, incestuous super important twins, special children being created through special acts of incest. SO MANY THINGS I AM HYPE ABOUT.

2. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

:? did i do a bad?
    or is there something im missing in the context of what you said and when i said a thing on a similar topic?

yeah themes are super important too
    i mentioned the other bit because plot and the puzzle of it appeals to me, personally
    but that bit of plot wouldn't' be there (or at least not be as important) without the theme
    so yeah

3. Aondeug

You didn't do anything wrong. I hold no theories about the plot because honestly the plot doesn't mean dick all to me. Again Hodgell could decide that Tori is a magical unicorn fairy princess from another world and that is why Ganth is in his head. All I care about is the theme. The plot is, at best, just a convenience for the theme to exist.

I find nothing more dull than plot.

4. Aondeug

Wait no. Ugly writing. Ugly bland writing is more dull. As in like the words have no feeling to them. While Hodgell isn't the prettiest of pretty words people (that honor belongs to Kiernan or Joyce or Faulkner) she is a pretty words person.

YOU KNOW WHO ISN'T THOUGH? GEORGE R.R. MARTIN AND THIS IS HIS GREATEST SIN. Gods and there's just some things I have read in my life where I just have to wonder why we even fucking bothered. At best the thing would be about as appealing as reading a fucking plot summary. And that is me being kind because I've read some fascinating plot summaries in my life. Ones that ended far sooner than some of the things I have read.

So plot and ugly writing are the most dull things. THE GREATEST SIN YOU CAN COMMENT IS UGLY WRITING THAT IS MOSTLY FOCUSED ON PLOT.

5. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

oh ok
    just wanted to be sure
    thanks for the clarification

6. Torisen Black Lord

Torisen Black Lord Wolf-Friend and Highlord

Sure thing! NOW I RETURN TO BEING A PRETENTIOUS BITCH. OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO.

OHOHOHOHOOHOHO.

I am not sure what to pretentious bitch about right now though so I will just roll over and

Something.

7. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

So @jacktrash and @roach accidentally cameoed Caineron in their Wherewoofs AU...I am amused.

• Like x 1
  8. Aondeug

Kencyrath ship names

Brenrulan

Greshanth

Greshethiel

GERRIDON GIVE ME BACK MY BITCH

Knorth Sandwich

Knorth Sandwich x2 dick combo edition

Jammon aka why?

TRIPLE DISTILLED WHISKEY

Grimisen

• Like x 2
  9. Aondeug

Also this doesn't fit the crossover thread and I can't be assed to find the AU thread so fuck it. Goes here bitches. WESTERNRATH. As in what if the Kencyrath were a western instead.

The au takes place somewhere in the southwestern US at a mysterious and undetermined period of time. We also give no fucks about historical or geographic accuracy so Monument Valley is everywhere and we have vague and undefined tribes of Native Americans regardless of wherever the fuck we are. We're not here for accuracy. We're here for the mythology of America and its heroes.

The Knorth family had money. Lots of money. Those shits originally come from the South and had a fancy ass house and slaves and were generally awful people. Not nearly as awful as the Randirocs under the matriarch Rawneth's leadership but still pretty fucking awful. At some point Gerridon and his twin sister fucked off from the family when they were young. BRINGING SHAME AND SCANDAL TO THE FAMILY. People surely talked about it passive aggressively in thick southern accents. He ran off to become a leader of a fearsome bandit group in Mexico. His twin sister left his ass after a few years and headed back off towards home. When she got home she found the then heir of the family Ganth (I am not sure what to do with Greshan yet but he is dead). They fucked and had kids and got married. With her all the way lying about being in the family and who she was. Her being Gerridon's twin and lover became a problem though. She was finally tracked down and killed. This would cause Ganth to go a bit crazy and run off on some mad crusade that was "successful" in that some people died and he wasn't considered a criminal. Deep down he knew that the true culprits were out there though. He knew. His obsession with that fact (which he only crazily believed was one) would lead to his death. This was heavily talked about for years, along with all the other shit that happens to the Knorths.

Anyway, the twins did have a life in money and their father's batshit grief for a time. Jame didn't leave the home till she was in her midteens. This development may or not be solely because I want them to have had angry tumblr enraging teenage hatesex somewhere on their family's property. SOMETHING resulted in Jame's having to leave and leave she fucking did. She traveled about the lands gaining skills and over time a series of tales. She was becoming a Woman with no Name and she was one that ended up spending a significant chunk of her life down in Mexico. She in particular helped out the Merikit equivalent down there and is very highly thought of in that family.

Tori? Tori eventually said fuck it to his father and his home before Daddy went truly bonkers and got himself killed. He became a lawman who eventually bagged himself a job down in the southwestern part of the continent. There he watches over a small town called Riverside and it is there that most of the story proper occurs. He works with his deputy Burr and is close with the neighboring tribe of natives led by a man called Grimly. Tori also has connections with the military having served for a period prior to his current life. He is generally considered an upstanding and good man by the town, though he is wildly hated by the cattle baron Caldane. God damn uppity ass boy from the east declaring how Caldane can't just murder homesteaders at his whimsy.

So the town. The local saloon is managed by Rue. Brier and Damson variously act as the bouncers and security of the place. Mint is a dance hall girl. Ashe runs the local morgue and is in good with the gravekeepers. She is a weird woman from some mysterious country back in Europe. She regularly weirds people out. Kindrie is a former Catholic priest who works as the town doctor. Marc is an old military vet who does repairs about town. The Cainerons are constantly causing trouble with the various homesteaders who live in the area. As well as with Tori himself. Caldane is constantly hatching schemes to either remove Tori from his position as sheriff or get him under his wing. One of his longer lasting ones is attempting to get him married to his daughter Kallystine. Tori of course refuses and fucking hates Kally.

By the time Jame rolls into town in a carriage with her cat the town is not doing so hot. The Cainerons are constantly bullying people and Caldane has been hiring a number of armed men. While Tori does what he can to manage things there are just many things he can't do as a lawman. Jame doesn't know anything about this of course. She is just here for work before she disappears off again to do whatever the fuck. Someone mistakes her for her brother, a fact that she keeps in mind as she heads off to the town saloon. There she speaks with Rue, gaining some information on the town's sheriff. And then she gets into an altercation with the Cainerons. She comes out the victor of said altercation but as she is walking out she trips and falls off the saloon steps and knocks her ass out. The Caineron boys run off and snitch like the coward ass bitches they are and the unconcious Jame gets locked in a cell for questioning.

THEN TORI ARRIVES. As she waking up because movie timing is always so fucking convenient. He's rather horrified by all this. I mean this is his hellion of a sister who was run out of the family home to do god knows what and here she is picking fights with the Cainerons. That is just. Troubling. Also she didn't even say hi before getting in trouble with the law. GOD. She is let out eventually of course.

She also is the one to solve the Caldane issue. With brutal, fatal violence because this is a western. It is that fact which eventually drives her out of the town, as it often is with her life. Instead of arresting her like he should Tori ends up letting her go to be mysterious and bitchy elsewhere. They probably make out at some point before this. She does end up back in the town at some point though. To harass family and such. Mysteriously and illegally. Before disappearing again to do whatever the fuck.

MEANWHILE BACK IN THE SOUTH. Brenwyr is an infamous occultist of a rich and powerful family. She uses her occult powers to speak with her dead bff/gf Aerulan supposedly. People think she's fucking weird and also liable to fucking kill you out of sheer fury.

• Like x 2
  10. Aondeug

The soundtrack is an Ennio Morricone thing of course.

11. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Welp it looks like I've found my new book series to devour (and devour and devour) until dawn to fill the void left by running out of Edda-Earth. Of course I'm still stuck in obscure series hell apparently.

• Like x 1
  12. Aondeug

Yes. Come join the incest hell trashpit. Its warm.

13. Aondeug

I got bored and wrote all the Tyr-Ridan's names in Tengwar.

If you don't know Tengwar the lines are as follows: Jame, the Knorth Jamethiel, Regonereth, Tori, the Knorth Torisen, Torrigon, Kindrie Soulwalker, Argentiel.

The literal transcription is jem, the (abbr) gnrth jmthel, rgnrth, tr, the gnrth trsn, trrgn, kndr, slwlkr, argntel. Vowels are on the tops of the letters.

• Like x 1
  14. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I should note here that the Kencyr Wiki has been recently massively improved by a new contributor and is getting better. Please feel free to contribute or fix errors.

15. Aondeug

In which I continue my trend of sticking my AUs and shit here. This time our pointless au I will do nothing with of the day is Sutra Storiesyrath. Sutra Stories being an rpg based primarily on Chinese myth and religion that takes place in Heaven. But it's also inspired by things like Homestuck and Marvel comics what with Aradia being the chieftain of the Horned Herd and Horseface's portrayal being based off Beta Ray Bill. I even made Jame and Tori character sheets. I am this stressed out and bored apparently.

For now I will just kind of jot down the names and some tentative ideas for incarnations for the various characters.

• Jame - Bei Mengzhi (North Dreamweave), Tianshen and Duchess of Office Rages. Works as part of an elite task force thing that shuts down various problems that Rages is pissed at. Called Jame because she can't pronounce the word "jam". Or couldn't one time. one time tori. it was one time.
    • Tori - Bei Heihe (North Blackriver), Tianshen and Duke of Office Prayers. He basically reads through prayers daily and fills out petitions to be sent further up the bureaucratic process. Called Tori because Jame thinks it sounds cute and he is jumpy like a little bird.
    • Briar - Shinan Tie Ji (Briar/Heather Ironthorn), Beast of some sort. Works as part of Jame's group. Might not be part of Rages.
    • Rue - Yunxiang (it is just rue), Beast of some sort. Again part of Jame's group though might not be part of Rages.
    • Mint - Bohe (it is just mint), Beast of some sort. Part of Jame's group. Might not be in Rages.
    • Damson - Da Mu Sen (damson in phonetic chinese), Beast of some sort. Part of Jame's group. Might not be in Rages.
    • Marc - Zhanzheng (War, backwards translation of Marcus), Beast of Clan Bulldoze. One of Jame's servants. Keeps the estate in shipshape. Works in Office Grounds. Called Zhan for short.
    • Burr - Mao Ci (it's just burr), Beast of some sort. One of Tori's servants. Works for Office Bonds.
    • Harn - Shou (Hand), Beast of some sort. A trainer in Office Armanents.
    • Greshan - ???, Tianshen and Lord of Office Dances. Called Waitao Xiansheng (Mr. Coat) by Jame because of his coat he is absolutely in love with.
    • Ganth - Huise Wang (Grey Lord), Tianshen and Lord of Office ???. Magically somehow Jame and Tori's biological father despite most gods being sterile.
    • Trishien - To Ri Shen, Tianshen and Lady of Office ???.
    • Brenwyr - ???, Asura and Duchess of Office Rages. She's a Fa Shi (Enchanter) who is particularly infamous for her skill at cursing.
    • Aerulan - ???, Tianshen and Lady of Office ???. Typically seen with Brenwyr.
    • Gerridon - Zhou Chang Hei Da Wang (High Lord Perimeter of Darkness), Devil and High Lord of Office Deaths. Notably fucks around on Earth without permit to get lackeys and playthings but no one has caught him yet though they suspect him heavily. Jame's pastlife was as one of his playthings.
    • Jamethiel Dreamweaver - Bei Mengzhi, Tianshen and Lady of Office Dances. One of Gerridon's toys up in Heaven. Not at all happy. Very weirdly managed to have children and twins at that despite being a god.
    • Grimly - Yanjunlang (Grimwolf) - Beast of Clan Faithful Fangs, a wolf. Works for Office??? Tori's bff/fwb/moirail. Called Grimly for short.

For some explanation of this madness Heaven is also known as the Celestial Bureaucracy because it is that. A bureaucracy. The bureaucracy to end all bureaucracies. It is entirely populated by deities of certain sorts who are born and assigned particular roles in one of the many offices. Everything from the weather to dancing to medicine to the very existence of tumblr is managed by Heaven's many offices.

Beasts as you might be able to guess by my choices here are the second class citizens of Heaven that do shit jobs no one else wants. They are all furries. All of them. Tianshen or deva are celestial beings of living marble or stone with tons of arms. They are possessed of a singular emotion in excess and live lives of incredible luxury. Asura are basically literally transformers and they are of an ever mercurial mood. Their moods change exceptionally fast and they have trouble with impulse control. Devils are an entirely different sort of god born from a ghost that gained sentience. They are outside of the normal Heavenly order but are generally just kind of ignored and accepted as existing in it. Many people aren't happy about this fact.

Office Dances is the one filled with entertainers. Not just dancers, but people in theatre, music, physical arts and so on. Rages is basically a holding house for the Sumeru native deva and various other wrathful deities. Task forces and such get formed in Rages. It's a very weird catchall office whose one calling card is positively using anger. Deaths isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. They deal with the paperwork of the dead and the process of dying. They also deal heavily in recycling of things. Armanents makes the weapons of Heaven and trains its armies and guards. Grounds deals with the maintenance and building of structures in Heaven. Prayers answers all of the prayers sent to Heaven. It is the most cutthroat and influential of the offices and has a ridiculously high turnover rate. Bonds deals with all sorts of social jobs. They got the people maintaining the aethernet connections of Heaven, social workers, marriage councilors, and a bunch of other jobs that all deal with relationships and social matters.

• Like x 2
  16. Aondeug

Can't sleep because language bugs so fuck it let's type up some shit. Namely shit related to my Kencyr conlang bullshit. Which we will just be calling Kens, which has three variants only two of which I care enough about to have names for (High Kens and Low Kens). But basically all three variants of the Kencyrath have their own variant of Kens and High Kens is then further split into Women's High Kens and Standard High Kens. So we have Kens which has High Kens, Low Kens, and CAT Kens and High Kens has Standard High Kens and Women's High Kens.

Now for orthography shit. For the purpose of this we will be using a transcription in Latin letters based off what we see in the books. We can and will assume that Kens has its own native script. I have some basic rules regarding the issues of the k, c, and s glyphs and how they are used phonetically:

• Initial /k/ is written as k or c, but usually k
    • Final /k/ is written as c
    • Medial /s/ is written as c or s
    • Medial /k/ is written as c
    • Initial /s/ is written as s
    • Final /s/ is written as a
    • Cluster kn has the value of /ɲ/

The other shit I'll ignore for now because I don't feel like tracking down IPA symbols. I'll update the phoneme bank and correspondence to our transcription method at some point just not now.

This isn't the end of phonology funtimes though because there is the matter of languages only permitting certain patterns. I'm not going to post the whole list of valid consonant and vowel strings and consonant and vowel clusters because no that is dumb. I will post some common ones I noted though with the strings:

• CVC
    • CVCVCV
    • CVCVCVC
    • CVCCVC
    • CVCCVVC
    • CVCVC
    Clusters can come latter at some point because erhhrh.

Phonology and orthography out of the way let's get to grammar and morphology. The standard word order of Kens is VSO because fuck you I like VSO. For the purpose of examples we will be using the following words with the following meanings. Some of which may not apply to the actual lexicon. Entirely original morphs that have no evidence in the text get a * after them:
    • Senetha - to dance
    • Senethar - to dance (martially)
    • Jo (affix) - small
    • Rin - cat
    • Tor - black
    • Li* - in
    • Ar - the
    • Isar* (prep)- past, yesterday
    • -an - plural marker
    The standard structure of the most basic Kens sentence is this:

• v/aux. (det.)n(det.)

An example of that being Senetha Jame (Jame dances). But what the fuck is up with those other things in the parentheses one may ask. Those are the determinants, which basically specify shit about our word and determine what it is. So if it's definite then we've applied a determinant. If we've made it plural we've applied a determinant. Some examples:
    • Senetha Arknorth - The Knorth dances - v det.+n
    • Senetha Arknorthan - The Knorths dance - v det.+n+det.

We can obviously get past this basic structure though so let's add in some places. The basic statement regarding location and place gets structured as this:

• v (det.)n(det.) prep (det.)n(det.) prep
    The preposition before the final noun is the preposition of place and the preposition after it is the preposition of time. Examples follow:

• Senetha Jame li Gothregor - Jame dances in Gothregor - v n prep n
    • Senetha Arknorthan li Gothregor isar - The Knorths danced in Gothregor - v det.+n+det. prep. n prep.
    Interrogative and negatives I haven't thought of but I have given some thought to adjectival structures. Basically Kens allows both for free adjectives and bound adjectives. Which is to say both words and affixes can be used to modify nouns, though Kens is especially fond of affixes and the stacking of them. This is in reference to Hodgell's fascination with hypenization. Anyway. An affixed word is essentially a new word or a highly emphasized one. A word modified by an adjective is just that. A word that has been modified. The structures are thus:

• adj. n
    • aff+n
    And some examples are these:

• jo tor rin - a small black cat
    • tor jorin - a black kitten/small cat
    Affixes can thus either be entirely different words or a form of emphasis. If our adult cat is tor jorin then we are REALLY hammering home how fucking small this bastard is. As a note I do want to state that adjectives and affixes aren't the same so in the lexicon small as a free standing word would not be jo if the affix was jo. Not necessarily. In some cases the affix and the adjective are exactly the same. Affixes and adjectives may also be stacked. In the case of the definite article the article follows the adjective but precedes the affix. Which looks like this:

• jo arrin - the small cat
    • arjorin - the kitten

Pronoun wise Kens as a whole has a total of 12. Which is to say we have...

• 1st - sing. masc., sing. fem., pl. masc., pl. fem.
    • 2nd - sing. masc., sing. fem., pl. masc., pl. fem.
    • 3rd - sing. masc., sing. fem., pl. masc. pl. fem.

However only High Kens really bothers with maintaining the feminine 1st and 2nd singulars and the feminine plurals. Masculine forms are considered the norm in High Kens so a mixed group would be referred to with masculine plural pronouns. High Kens in general is a stickler with gender distinctions and has maintained a lot of rules that the other forms of Kens have not. High Kens is exceptionally fucking anal.

Now one might have noticed something very distinctly ugly. If the definite article is ar then by gods any martial verb or other verb that ends in ar is going to sound shit. Well thankfully Kens has handled this for us in terms of how words are actually said if not in how they are transcribed. So we have two rules with spelling and pronunciation with the ar so far:

• If the final syllable of a verb ends in a vowel, drop the vowel and add a prosodic pause between the verb and noun
    • If the final syllable of a verb ends in -ar, maintain the final -ar and elide the r of the definitive article

So in practice this looks like this...

• Senetha Arknorth is said seneth arknorth
    • Senethar Arknorth is said Senethar aknorth

I forgot to put this earlier and now there is no good place without editing so let's stick it here. Conjugation and Kens is just not a thing. At all. At the very most it might conjugate for number. But really I'd rather it not at all. Instead that madness is handled via prepositions, postpositions, and affixes. So the proposed placeholder preposition of "isar" (past, yesterday) may or may not refer to something that actually happened yesterday. It could refer to an action that has happened in the past. This handles the issue of verbs lacking tense. They lack tense because they don't need it.

And now for some cultural shit and words for people. Kens has multiple words for "people". While these might get translated more specifically they can all literally just be translated out as people. We have these placeholders as examples:

• Kencyr
    • Kencyrath
    • Rath
    • Rathken

So the first refers to Kencyr people as a sort of culture or ethnicity. It is also the plural form of Ken, and yes it has an irregular plural because the People are just special like that. Kencyrath meanwhile would refer to the Kencyr people as a sort of nation. Rath would be a general word for all non-Kencyr individuals and this word is carried across worlds. It's used in addition to loan words to refer to specific peoples. So we can say for example that the Kencyr stole the word "human" as an example and now that is in their vocab to refer to humans. However humans are not Kencyr and thus are also rath. Rathken meanwhile would refer to groupings of Kencyr and other non-Kencyr people. This isn't the most popular word though and many prefer to use a form of "Kencyr and Rath", as an example, instead of mashing them together. Basically keeping the People as separate as possible from others via wording.

In addition to having lots of words for people Kens and High Kens in particular are very anal regarding gendered forms of nouns of profession or actors. So they have equivalents to our actress/actor thing as an example. High Kens applies this wholesale to basically fucking everything. Low Kens does not because it really doesn't fucking care.

Cultural shit and writing. The Kencyrath is notably against this whole writing biz and they're weirdly bibliophobic. Unless you live in the Women's World. While all forms of Kens save maybe CAT Kens have written forms they aren't used constantly. Save for Women's High Kens which is very frequently written. The stitch language is the chosen method of transcription among the Ladies and it was born due to the being moved about from friends and lovers shit. It was also born because you don't have men's shoulders to look over and learn to write from when you're being raised exclusively in a segregated lady hellhole. What you do have though is needlework. Lots and lots of fucking needlework because that's a good proper girly thing.

And last note I can't think of where else to place final -thar marks a verb as specifically being a martial art or martial form of an action. So theoretically I could have Medictharan who are specifically battle medics or Baton twirltharan which is specifically a martial art involving baton twirling. Potentially the ending -thar can also be a more metaphorical sense of martialness. Like no I guess you aren't literally killing someone with your especially angry stitchwork and it's not being weaponized martially. But socially? It's biting and very much a weapon. So stitchworkthar would be a way of specifying that your stitchwork is especially pissy and meant to attack. Though given the nature of the Women's World the -thar at the end of that sort of word would likely be a taboo or especially rare. Outside of it it may be more common, and especially with Kendar.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    • Like x 1
  17. Aondeug

Actually fuck tracking down all those symbols. So phonemes and correspondences to letters:

• a has the value of the open central unrounded vowel
    • i has the value of the close front unrounded vowel
    • e has the value of the close mid-front unrounded vowel
    • o has the value of the open back unrounded vowel
    • u has the value of the open back rounded vowel
    • b has the value of the voiced bilabial plosive
    • p has the value of the unvoiced bilabial plosive
    • d has the value of the voiced alveo-dental plosive
    • t has the value of the unvoiced alveo-dental plosive
    • v has the value of the voiced labio-dental fricative
    • f has the value of the unvoiced labio-dental fricative
    • th has the value of the unvoiced dental fricative and the voiced dental fricative
    • r has the value of the alveolar flap or alveolar tap or the alveolar trill I haven't decided yet
    • l has the value of the alveolar lateral approximate
    • g has the value of the voiced velar plosive
    • k has the value of the unvoiced velar plosive
    • kn has the value of the velar nasal
    • n has the value of the alveolar nasal
    • m has the value of the bilabial nasal
    • z has the value of the voiced alveolar sibilant
    • s has the value of the voiceless alveolar sibilant
    • sh has the value of the voiceless palato-alveolar fricative
    • y has the value of the schwa as a vowel and the voiced approximate as a consonant
    • h has the value of the glottal plosive until I get bored and then it's the unvoiced velar fricative
    • j has the value of the voiced palato-alveolar affricate
    • c has the value of the voiceless alveolar sibilant or the unvoiced velar plosive
    • w has the value of the voiced labio-velar approximate
    I am pretty sure I forgot something in here but here it is. I will draw up vowel and consonant charts too to have easy visual representations of the banks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  18. Aondeug

Ok so let's talk digraphs and valid positions. A digraph is simply two letters written together. We're concerned with vowel and consonant digraphs here. Next order of business is to state that while these are the currently existing valid digraphs and positions based on what we have from Hodgell's books they don't necessarily be the only ones. But for now I'm just working with the canonical sets of letters and names we've got. So let's look at the valid doubled consonants:

• ll
    • gg
    • rr
    • mm
    There may be more but I can't think of them at the moment. Now let's look at the valid consonant clusters I remember. But first let me note that kn and th are not consonant clusters; they are digraphs representing single phonemes. That out of the way here are the clusters I remember and have noted:

• gr
    • ld
    • st
    • rth
    • rn
    • rg
    • nt
    • nd
    • dr
    • gm
    • sp
    • nz
    • dw
    • rb

There are definitely more but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. I'll have to consult my list of literally every Kencyr name and thing later when I can. So fuck that let's get on to vowel clusters. Current diphthongs are the following:

• ai written as ai or ine
    • ae/ei written as ame, ane or ae
    • ie written as ie

Again this list is incomplete because I don't have my fucking list on me because I didn't think I'd do anything with it again. God. Dammit. YES MORVEN I KNOW THE WIKI EXISTS BUT NOTEBOOKS DAMMIT I AM A MAN OF PRINCIPLES.

Valid initial positions: a, i, t, j, r, c, k, g, kn, b, p, d, s, gr, m, n, ae, ai
    Valid medial positions: a, i, e, o, u, m, n, c, s, b, p, s, z, rr, ll, mm, dw, rb, gm, st, l, r, th, y
    Valid final positions: a, i, l, n, r, th, rth, ame, ine, nt, nd, ane,

And this list is incomplete too. I'll add to these and fix them later. Again these are just going off the list of names we have in the books. More may or may not be added as I work on things.

Which leads to the matter of translation. For the purposes of getting a sound bank and possible words I am going to assume the weird fantasy words and names the Kencyrath use are native Kens words that are just transliterated into Latin script at the moment. We are going to assume that the names of the Kendar which are plant based meanwhile are translations to get across something about the words being used in question. Perhaps they're Low Kens. Perhaps it is to really get across the fact that these names mean you aren't shit. Either way they aren't native and I'll have to come up with Kens translations for each of the English names. With epithets meanwhile the translation is occurring because knowing the meaning of the epithet in question is important to the reader. To call Tori by the hypothetical Torisen Torihir doesn't really mean shit to an English speaking reader save that they really love the tori thing and repetition. But Torisen Black Lord suddenly means a whole lot more to us.

So names and the Kencyrath. Each Kendar and Highborn has a given name. With the Kendar there is a fondness for plant based naming. Highborn I am not sure but given how long some of their names are we can assume they are snooty and fancy things that mean things like FABULOUS WIND WALKER or something. Highborn have house names but the house names do not function like last names necessarily. The closest to that function we've seen are the forms of the Knorth Jamethiel and Jamethiel of House Knorth. Kendar meanwhile do not have house names like the Highborn do, though they may at a time be bound to a particular house. So Brier might be a Knorth but she isn't a Knorth Brier Iron-thorn like how Kindrie could lay claim to being a Knorth Kindrie. What the Kendar do have however are epithets which get placed after the given name. The Highborn may also have epithets which are again placed at the ends of names. Nickname wise the Kencyr seem to favor chopping off the first syllable or two syllables. In some cases a final i is added or the first vowel is morphed to a dipthong. They also like repetition of syllables. Examples of each here in this nice little list with y' acting as a stand in for "of":

• Arknorth Jamethiel
    • Jamethiel y'Knorth
    • Torisen Torihir
    • Jamethiel>Jame
    • Torisen>Tori
    • Kinzi>Kinzi kin
    • Marcarn>Marc

19. Aondeug

A short lexicon that is highly susceptible to changing based on my whimsy and which has been used in my examples:

• -iel - God/of God
    • jame - dream
    • tor - black
    • li* - in
    • isar* - past, yesterday
    • ganth - grey
    • hir - lord
    • whinno - horse
    • senetha - to dance
    • senethar - to dance (martially)
    • senethe - flute used in senetha and senethar
    • kantir - the kata or asana of senetha and other such art forms (I am blanking on the word for this in English right now)
    • arrin-thar - to fight with clawed gauntlets (lit. the cat art)
    • -thar - art, specifically a martial one
    • ken - person
    • kencyr - people, The People as a culture
    • kencyrath - people, The People as a state
    • kens - kencyr language
    • rath - person, people
    • jo - small
    • jorin - kitten
    • rin - cat
    • randon - specially trained soldiers of the randon college
    • ran - a military rank and title of some significance
    • d'hen - shortened form of davhen, refers to a knife fighting jacket (lit. knife coat)
    • hen - coat
    • dav* - knife
    • sen - sound, voice
    • goth - black, but a particular sort of black that is different from the black of tor
    • dwyn - victory
    • jorath - child
    • joken - kencyr child
    • ar - the definite article
    • yn* - one
    • dol* - two
    • tyr - three
    • cath* - four
    • ceg* - five
    • rid (pl. ridan) - face
    • y' - of

20. Aondeug

The script will be an abjad due to my liking those and similarities between the Kencyrath and Jewish people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice