Personality Tests (this will not be part of your final grade)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by swirlingflight, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Here's a cool sorting hat quiz, I actually like it better than Pottermore's tbh:

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  2. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

That was interesting! My results were Slytherin Primary (with Hufflepuff model) and a Burned Secondary, either Slytherin or Gryffindor. I was expecting the Slytherin Primary and the Hufflepuff model but wasn't sure about my Secondary; the Burned Gryffindor Secondary was the most surprising but feels kinda right. Maybe?

What about you?

• Like x 2
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

The only ones that feel right really were Burned Slytherin Primary and Burned Gryffindor Secondary. They more closely match the disconnect between what I value and want and how I wish I would be acting versus how I actually tend to be. I'm slowly but surely getting better about shit and my trauma and what not but my baseline for people is still that they are inherently untrustworthy and thus dangerous. Even though really all I want to do is collect a series of trustworthy My People whom I value above all else. I've got that circle in a way really but I'm still very iffy about them at times. Or outright panicked. And I'd prefer to just tackle all things head-on and with a stubborn bullish refusal to back down from my shit but alas I am too afraid of that. I do think that unflinching honesty is best and just going at shit head on is best but it is too scary to do that. That is how you get hurt and getting hurt is bad.

The other secondary that popped up felt right too potentially and it was Ravenclaw Secondary because honestly. I just like collecting shit. It is my nature. And it's part of why I thrive in academic environments so well. Obsessively studying and collecting shit is just how I do. I do not work well in situations wherein my obsessive knowledge about 16th century embroidery or whatever the fuck doesn't help. I ended up going with the Gryffindor fuckery though because integrity is like the single most important thing in the world for me in regards to how I behave and there is nothing I detest more than lying.

The other results I got for primary were Slytherin and Gryffindor. The latter result offended me personally. How dare you suggest there might be something I value more than my personal loyalties. The other bit that could not work is gut instinct based morality. I do not work on instinct. I have carefully constructed moral systems. And one of the big parts of said moral system regards loyalties and a laundry list of bullshit regarding how to handle loyalty based issues.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Like x 3
  4. Camber

Camber Active Member

the secondary bit of this quiz glitches out for me but ooh it’s interesting!! probably the first quiz that’s ever given me griffindor on anything. I Do use my ‘gut feeling’ or whatever to tell if there’s something I’m missing or don’t understand, because it can detect when I’ve made a flaw in reasoning way quicker than consciously-thinking me can (no brainpower to methodically think through everything, and frankly no reliable method). I don’t think of it as separate from reasoning though, it’s so core in my process!

More seriously this was pretty uncomfortable, because whatever ideals I want to have, I’m sure not acting consistently with them. Good to know I guess?

• Like x 3
  5. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

That was really interesting! I’ve always considered myself a Ravenclaw, so I was kinda surprised that I got a Gryffindor primary with a Hufflepuff model. My secondary was Hufflepuff with a Ravenclaw model, which makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like x 4
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I got Hufflepuff Primary and Gryffindor Secondary, with a tendency to mirror Gryffindor in my actions but not my core values! Sounds pretty accurate.

• Like x 3
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I got Burned Hufflepuff/Burned Ravenclaw. very accurate, but also, ouch :P

• Like x 3
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hufflepuff primary and Hufflepuff secondary! Badger all the way, baby!

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  9. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

same!!! except burned primary...

Actually, possibly burned secondary too, I'm not sure - either I'm a burned Huff secondary, an unburned Huff secondary picking my battles carefully and kinda weirdly (things I frequently do not show up for: community events. Protests. Voluntary lectures in school. Dodgeball practice. things I do show up for, every time: friends needing support in literally any way. i'll help you move, i'll cook for you if asked, i'll hang out with you 3 days in a row after a bad break-up - if i'm personally needed I'll be there, but bigger events... I am bad at) or a Ravenclaw secondary with a very strong Hufflepuff model! Biiig shrug.

Very certain of my burned Hufflepuff primary, though - in the time I've been familiar with this system, I've gone from thinking I was a Ravenclaw primary (oh poor baby me, not realizing how damn much I rely on my friends & feelings) to Slytherin primary (because one of my friends told me she'd cheated on her boyfriend, and I, never having met her boyfriend, realized I felt no different about her afterwards despite not knowing anything about the circumstances & being pretty vehemently anti-cheating; she was a beloved part of my universe while he was a non-entity = her happiness went first. Someone else can be in charge of his. Until that moment I didn't realize how much it'd actually take for me to turn my back on someone I love) to the test giving me Hufflepuff and me arguing with it for quite some time.
    Burned Huff with Slytherin model feels right. I still think the sorting hat would've put me in Ravenclaw, but this falls a lot closer to actually representing who I am and what I value.

• Like x 4
  10. kmoss

kmoss whoops

ravenclaw primary burned huff secondary
    some Really Deep questions

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Slytherin primary, Gryffindor secondary.

This is the best quiz about ethics I’ve ever taken. No contest.

The Slytherin primary really gets to the heart of what I liked about the tiny bit of feminist ethics I read for school, that I thought covered a really fucking important point that other ethical systems really hadn’t addressed that I’d seen. Which is that a person who treats the needs of total strangers on the other side of the world as more important than their own family’s needs, on the grounds that their family isn’t suffering as much? Is probably an asshole. And living by unworkable, deeply unhealthy ideals. And also quite possibly hurting more than they’re helping, because the further away you are, geographically, socially, culturally, from the people you’re trying to help, the more likely it is that you have insultingly simplified or just totally misbegotten notions of what kind of help is actually useful and how to effectively contribute.

In my opinion, saving the world starts at home, and home starts with you. There is literally nobody you’re more qualified to save, and literally no one is as qualified as you to save yourself. If human misery is a moral negative, is it not a primary duty to take up the responsibility for easing suffering within your own person as far as you can?

It’s only pragmatic. You’re much more likely to be able to be there for your children and delight your partner(s) and friends and volunteer at your local soup kitchen if you aren’t suffering from a lack of self care. If you absolutely must bless the rains down in Africa, you’re still probably way more likely to be able to listen well, contemplate the more pernicious aspects of colonialism as it applies to charity, and make the best decisions you can if you’re not hangry.

People may drift in and out of my life over time, but while they’re close to me, they’re my people. Even they get no say in how much I care for them, though I will absolutely respect boundaries, up to and including never speaking to them again if that’s what they want. Nobody has asked for that so far, but I’d do it. As long as they aren’t hurting me or attacking the relationship between us, there’s not much they (or a hundred men or more) could do to make me stop caring. There’s not really any morality requirement. I’ve been friendly with people who did some heinous shit. I certainly would not help them commit heinous shit and I won’t sit idly by if I could stop them from hurting someone, because protecting my own core values takes priority over protecting my friends, though I would seek to do both if I thought it were possible. But as long as the relationship between us doesn’t involve becoming complicit in anything I find unacceptable, and brings out the positive aspects of both of us, I fail to see how that’s bad. Everyone needs someone, these here are my people, and fuck anyone who thinks they have a right to tell me who I should associate with.

The way in which I interact with other people is very much what the Gryffindor secondary describes. Kinda hilariously so. In conversation or in thought, I’ll often throw out feelers in many directions, triangulate, and then go straight for the point I believe to be most important, regardless of whether it’s nice or acceptable or easy to look at. If it rings true, that’s far more valuable. I’ll definitely try to do it without being cruel or inappropriate, but I will probably end up going in unexpected directions. I’ve been told it can be a bit irritating at first, because most people really aren’t prepared to do small talk but with more rigorous honesty, and it takes a lot more effort if you have to suddenly start testing all your canned answers for accuracy. But then some people find it useful because I have a lot of lateral thinking to bring to the table, and I’ll probably apply it generously to pretty much everything. It may take me a while depending on the complexity of the situation, but I’ll probably eventually arrive rather abruptly at the heart of the matter, even if that’s not what anyone actually asked for.

I have a history of talking to people I’ve never met before, asking a variety of ridiculous or weird questions, and chatting for a while as I keep an ear out for the thing that resonates. There’s usually something that sounds like there’s more. I end up in a lot of amazing 3am discussions about deepest fears and insecurities that way. I won’t ask if I’m not prepared to reciprocate. Usually I am. I don’t consider personal flaws to be things to hide if revealing them could aid the pursuit of truth and understanding. Occasionally people mistake that for a weakness, but generally not repeatedly. The truth is more fractal than it is simple. You can fall down that well for a very long time if you’re feeling dedicated, and I won’t necessarily try very hard to stop you if your heart is set on it.

Personal integrity is deeply important to me. I’m definitely not above criticism, but I’m answerable ultimately to myself. My strength is my integrity, and I hold my responsibility to that above my responsibility even to God, because if my deity were immoral, that should not be acceptable to me. That’s not the God I believe in. It’s not that I could never decide to go along with an immoral deity, it would just be a complete betrayal of myself as a person and everything I must hold true in order to hold any world view I consider to be worth having. Ethically, even though I don’t believe that suffering increases justice, I’d have to ask to be exempt from any reward for continuing to undermine my own core values, or else fundamentally give up on myself and everyone else as people.

So pretty much, I believe in being right with yourself first and foremost because human misery is bad, striving to reach your potential is good, and yours is the human life you’re most equipped to improve. I think it’s presumptuous to try to be responsible for improving other people’s lives if you don’t know them, have no real connection to them, and especially if you didn’t ask them. I think understanding limitations of scope is an important part of doing good in the world. I believe your relationships are a part of who you are as a person. I think good relationships can exist between bad people, as can bad relationships between good people. Good relationships elevate you and are worth fighting for. I believe outside opinions, on that and everything else, can have merit and be worth considering, but ultimately no one should be making decisions for you if they’re not totally compatible with your own morality. I believe that personal integrity is so important that it’s ethically necessary to fight God over it, if it comes to that. Which I really hope it doesn’t because that would be fucking terrifying.

All that aside, I’m really happy to finally see a quiz that sorts me into Slytherin for the reasons it appealed to me in the first place. I wanna live in a freaking dungeon and say “oh really” to people who think they’re morally superior to me for reasons I consider poorly thought out, or people who look down on my friends because they seem shady. Some of them may be shady, but not always the ones people tend to suspect.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. Acey

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm a Steven, Surprisingly! Not something I expected, but the description fits pretty well so Shrug

• Winner x 2
  14. Camber

Camber Active Member

Sapphire! Unexpected (ha) but that works! This quiz IS pretty solid.

• Winner x 2
  15. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I got lapis lazuli.

• Winner x 2
  16. I got... Lapis? Huh.

• Winner x 2
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I got Sapphire too!

• Winner x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Creative Strengths:
    Connection to emotions and imagination, empathy and sensitivity
    Untapped Potential:
    Using dreams to fuel real-world action
    Ideal Collaborator:
    The Innovator

The world is a place of beauty and magic in the eyes of a DREAMER. Where others see facts and figures, you see symbols, metaphors, and hidden meanings.

You’re deeply emotional and intuitive, with a vivid imagination—the quintessential idealist and romantic. The inner world is always where you’ve felt most at home. You’re happy to roam your mental landscape of thoughts, emotions, and fantasies for hours on end.

You’re naturally drawn to express your inner world through literary pursuits, music, and the visual arts. Think of yourself as the “magical realist” of the creative types: like the literary masters of that genre, you naturally infuse your everyday life with the beauty and wonder of the imagination.

Your greatest gift is your depth of sensitivity and empathy, which allows you to give voice to universal human emotions in a way that touches people on a profound level. Your greatest challenge is learning to balance dreaming with disciplined action—which starts with coming back to the present moment. Let your mind roam free, DREAMER, but don’t forget to return to the here and now. Practicing mindfulness will go a long way in helping you turn your dreams into reality.

Seek out opportunities to collaborate with INNOVATOR types, who combine your lofty idealism with a focus on pragmatic solutions. The grounding energy of the INNOVATOR can inspire you to apply your imagination to real-world change.

The animations playing after each choice were interesting. Seemed like each was reflective of the choice selected.

I'm wondering which of the popular tests this is based on, the About info doesn't specify, just mentions "based on psychological research."

20. Acey

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice