Petticoat Fashions

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Vacuum Energy, Jun 14, 2015.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I think it's less the quality and more how they present the dress if that makes sense?
    With Innocent World for example I always have a pretty good idea how the item looks worn, and the clothes are framed in an appealing manner. (Their high necklines on the JSKs just looks kinda silly on me, oops. I still desperately crave the hydrangea square OP with the adorable collar and everything though. One daaaaaay)
    With AP the dresses look really flat and kind of sad a lot of the time plus the stock pictures only have the dress on a mannequin meaning I can hardly tell where skirt-hems fall and how the bodice actually looks on a non styrofoam bust. And I'm hardly tall! But I've frequently heard AP would be way short on sommeone my height and I don't have a decent underskirt yet so :U
    (Also something about the lightning makes it so I can almost never tell what kinda fabric texture an AP dress has. Probably because of the print being prioritized.)

2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

This is all true but it's nothing new...I thought you said the pix were getting worse.

I love some of the IW prints but I have been burned too often with them saying that the bust is 117 and the waist is 110 and then it doesn't fit my 112 bust (110 in a sports bra) and my 98 waist! We have an AP store here in town, so if something isn't obviously going to sell out before it even reaches the shelves, I will often try things on. I detest ordering new dresses at those prices if they're not gonna fit because I have to sell them at a loss. I always like the weirder prints, it's pretty rare for me to want the ones people go apeshit over like Sugary Carnival.

AP is sometimes super short and I do use underskirts with some of them. But the problem is usually that the bodice is too short. I'll alter those by adding a waistband between the bodice and the skirt in a coordinating fabric, but sometimes that's not an option (Cosmic) and sometimes it's not necessary because the straps are elastic or have multiple settings. I swear I wear Cosmic with leggings more often than I ever wear it as a lolita coordinate.

I hear you on the fabric issue, I would never have ordered Romantic Rose Letter if I had known it was going to be chiffon with a SATIN BACKING so that it would be impossible to pick apart to alter.

3. IvyLB

oops if i implied that it's because words are hard and don't like working nice with me.
    I meant like I just specifically noticed a few Lolita bloggers had recently complained about some stockphotos again, and as I don't usually keep a close eye on AP (idk it just doesn't fit my aesthetic a lot of the time and I can hardly afford brand second hand, much less the insane AP release bloodbaths.) it seemed like a notable developement from my perspective, along the lines of "haven't heard comment on" > "Latest batch of stock pics seem especially bad and unappealing"
    I think the most recent examply was HelloBatty purchased Dolly Cross only after seeing it worn, and fell in love with it. Surprisingly, because from the stock pics she thought the dress was an awful mess.

4. ADigitalMagician

ADigitalMagician The Ranty Tranny

This is not in response to anything you've said here, but a damn pattern I keep seeing with you.

That post you're responding to is from JUNE and you have added very little new information here that you didn't provide in your previous post on this topic.

This very much looks to me like you're trying to start a fight.

5. cleverThylacine

I'm not, but I am new here and backreading a lot. Sorry about that!

6. ADigitalMagician

ADigitalMagician The Ranty Tranny

. . .

You are back reading a lot. . . but the post you just responded to, and the previous post you responded two, both of which with similar nose to the sky essays, were on the SAME PAGE.

You have responded on things AFTER the post you just dredged up. This thread is only four pages long.

I'm calling full on bullshit.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  7. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

@cryptoThelematrix Can you please stop talking down to everyone in this thread that has opinions you disagree with? I'm not exactly pleased with you constantly grabbing my comments so you can go on your little rants about replica with all the shaming that you keep bringing to the table over the fact I don't think replicas are worth lecturing, shaming, and isolating people over. You literally chased me from this thread out of fear of another long lecture from you where you do your marked best to put me in my place as if you have a right to do so. Because what? You don't agree with me and feel the need to tell me and everyone else how right you are and how you know more than anyone else here? I would have loved to have a nice friendly disccusion about replicas and the difference opinions but you killed any chance of that by acting as if you had the final word on the matter and then name dropping. I've very happy for you that you've had chances to meet people, but it comes off as you bragging and using it as a hammer when you use their names as you do.

Because whether you mean it or not you are coming off as trying to show off and put people in their place. You've done it to more than just me, and watching you make others second guess themselves isn't a fun thing.

Please stop lecturing - this is the tone you are coming off as having - others, it's making quite a few people very uncomfortable and making them not want to talk about Lolita fashion on this forum. I hope you mean well and just want to share what you know, but you are putting yourself as an expert and handing out in some cases wrong or misleading or just rude lessons.

We all wanted to this thread to be a place where we could talk about lolita fashion without worrying about being yelled at for having the wrong opinion and shamed for what they spend their money on. I have not come back to this thread at all because you make me several uncomfortable with the way you speak to me and others and make me half afraid my posts are going to wind up on behind the bows.

My lolita mentor was in the fashion in 2005 onwards but she does not claim to be an expert because fashion is a ever evolving and changing thing, no one is an expert in it. What Lolita looked like and the 'rules' in 2002 to know has changed so much I've seen people called old school glb street shots ita. I'm sure you are a perfectly nice person and mean very well, but you are not coming off that way with your comments here. Seriously some of us wanted to talk here to escape the exact sort of atmosphere you have brought in. Please at least try to phrase things like your opinion and not the gospel truth. No one is going to tattle on you for not having the approved opinions. You do not have to talk down about yourself because of your weight to be taken seriously here.

I would like to be able to talk about lolita fashion again without fearing your going to make me and other feel terrible. You do not speak for the trees, please stop acting as if you do. I have seen you be very nice and friendly toned in other threads, instead of lectures try saying that you personal dislike replicas or dislike chiffon or you think the picture quality is just the same instead of speaking as if you are coming down from high with information.

I'm really really hoping you are not meaning to do this. I'm very much hoping that you have no idea how you are coming across. Tone is tricky to get across online and we all have difference forms of brain weird. I would just like to be able to come to this thread and squee and talk about things without splitting every time you respond to someone.

• Like x 3
  8. cleverThylacine

@ADigitalMagician: If I wanted to have a fight, I'd be taking the opportunity you're giving me to have one, but I don't actually want to have one.

@Kijikun: I'm sorry you were hurt by the way I stated my opinion. I probably shouldn't have posted twice. I don't want you to have to feel afraid of me or to split.

That said, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go from here. I'm not going to be able to tell you that I think replicas are OK, but I hope it will help you to know that the people I feel judgemental of are OoJia and DOL, not you or the other customers. The thing that set me off about the post I replied to the second time I posted was that, because I am also a fat lolita, I was upset by the idea that (presumably all) fat lolitas need replicas and that being anti-replica is in some way equivalent to being fatphobic. Maybe you could not imply that, and we would never have to talk about it again. I have had people refuse to believe that I was NOT wearing a replica when I was wearing brand just because I am fat. Mr Yan from Bodyline visited the AP-USA store last year and actually implied in the actual store that my dress was a fake. I could live forever if that never happened to me again.

I have a hard time just treating this as a difference of personal opinion (for instance, as if we were discussing shipping Rose/Greg vs Rose/Pearl) because I really do believe that selling counterfeit goods is morally wrong (I don't know if you know this, but some people on eBay and Storenvy sell replicas without saying what they are), and I also believe that selling inferior goods for inflated prices to people who feel that they are not able to get the original goods is morally wrong. I recognise that not everybody feels that way. I try to put people before principles because that is the way to be, I feel, so I really don't want to hurt anyone by stating my piece. But at the same time, I'm in the possibly unusual situation of being friends with some of the people whose work is being stolen (my IRL friends include the owners of AP-USA and the designer for Enchantlic Enchantilly), which means I feel defensive of them, too.

Again, I'm sorry that I hurt you. I do not mean to be hurtful, but it is also a thing that I have extremely strong feelings about. We don't have to discuss this issue, but I would really rather not feel like I'm automatically being included in the "Replicas are OK" party just by virtue of the fact that I'm a size 18.

I can't stop anyone from buying or wearing replicas and I don't hate people who do it. I do have feelings you probably don't want to hear about for the people who produce them, but I don't think that any of those people are on Kintsugi. I'm not going to jump down anyone's throat if they post a picture of themselves wearing a replica (frankly in photos it's hard to tell sometimes anyway). I just don't want people to think that all fat lolitas feel the same way about this.

9. Allenna

@cryptoThelematrix Maybe it escaped your notice, but I am as you would put it "fat". I at no point implied that replicas were the only way "fat" people could wear lolita, I said for SOME that was one of the few options they had to them on a tight budget. I think you saw that I didn't think replicas were an evil sin and went from there. WE can very much talk about how we have a differentiating opinion about this like adults, we could have discussed print replicas vs dress cut replicas. We could have discussed "replica" shoes and bags. We could have discussed the Chinese factors selling off fabric the brands didn't use We could have discussed why for some girls second hand replicas were their only option and discussed the reasons some places charge what they do for even simple solid color jsks. We could have discussed how a solution could be making sure people weren't shamed for full shirring. How the words 'boob loaf' should never be spoken again. We could have talked about a great many things.

Also frankly Mr Yan is a creep that is inappropriate with underage girls among other things and I would take anything he says with a grain of salt all things considered.

You again are sounding as if you lecturing me and speaking as if everyone in this thread must know nothing about lolita fashion. And again you are coming off as name dropping with an addition of emotional manipulation. And claiming I don't care about the designers feelings and implying what this must mean about me. All because I'm not going to tell people that replicas are a mortal sin.

I've met the designer for Enchantlic Enchanitilly. She is very nice and very sweet and I am very glad she is designing so many things with full shirring. I loved seeing the new line of dresses in person. I also think its amazing she realizes Lolita's often wear glasses and had cute protective glass cases that actually fit real glasses and came with a cute little lens cloth. It's one of my favorite things.

I think her work great step forward for the fashion, along with Hanulei's work. I do in fact care about artists having their work stolen. But I'm not going to take it out on people just getting into the fashion. I'm not going to blame someone that doesn't want to spend 300 dollars on a dress only to figure out that it a) doesn't fit because brands measure in the dark sometimes (I swear to god Baby) or b) they don't really like Lolita fashion at all. Personally I direct people towards lacemarket and, before the price hike, Bodyline, because as it happens (with exceptions) "brand" - and I'm including indie with this - is more nicely put together. Oojas print quality is often vgood but the colors are never quite right and the little details are missing - they also do not hold up under repeat washings. DOL is just a mess. Most people I see getting them pick them up second hand. I have a K-star replica altered and given to me by a friend - who herself had gotten if possible third or fourth hand - because she wanted to twin a certain dress with me. I wear it mainly to places like the zoo and such because I can throw it in the wash and not worry about it.

See this is stuff we could have been talking about, this is the discourse we could have been having. What I wanted to be having when I brought up replicas to start with.
    You can think replicas are morally wrong all you want. You have that right to hold that opinion. I have an issue with you seeming as if you are pronouncing judgement. I have an issue with coming off as trying to sound as if you know all there is to know. Again this might just be a internet tone thing and well I know how hard it is to be bigger and this fashion. I understand that info dumping and such is a great defense for some of not so nice people that share this fashion.

I don't think you are bad or terrible or anything else. You seem like a sweet person that is very protective of people you consider your friends. I would have liked to have conversations with you about the fashion - I would still like that. I suspect we know some of the same people irl.

How about we change the subject to something else and leave replicas discussion and this one off for a while. Move over to pm if we need to talk out things more.

10. Allenna

What's everyone's biggest "what were they thinking" dress. I know meta and the radioactive cupcakes are pretty famous but I want to know what anyone was thinking with this one:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  11. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

That looks like a safe for work attempt at a condom dress.

12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

what the fuck.

13. IvyLB

whaaaaaat the everloving heck is that dress oh my god.

• Like x 1
  14. Allenna

I have been told they were going for the "murdered plushies" look.

15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

...My opinion stands.

• Like x 2
  16. cleverThylacine

@Kijikun We probably do know some of the same people! Fumiko is darling, isn't she?

ETA: I'm at a loss for anything else to say because I feel like there's a bunch of stuff you missed in my post (for instance, I know you're also fat) and I don't want to rehash it, upset you again and upset everyone else.

Anyhow, let's not talk about (print) replicas any more -- those are the only ones that bother me, and I don't consider "design replicas" to be replicas, or any more problematic than someone taking a dress they own and using it as a pattern for a new dress in a different fabric. Which is something that I would guess most people who sew have done.

The other stuff is fine to talk about. Really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm curious as to why the term "boobloaf" is anathema to you. I am assuming you view it as a slur of some sort (sorry if I'm wrong) against fat girls, but the phenomenon the term describes, like pattern stretching on socks, isn't unique to fat people. Mean girls act like it is, but I've seen it on smaller women too. I certainly won't use the word in your presence if it bothers you.

I am very hesitant to buy dresses that are shirred only in the back unless I love them enough to alter them because I'm a DDD cup and whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a really huge problem for me, particularly since my shoulders add to the problem (basically, the bodice tries to crawl up my armpits as well as flattening my chest and mashing it all together). So far the only solution I've found is to take apart the bodice and add space at the sides either from waist ties or the back shirring fabric.

I was bothered by the way my socks stretched until I saw a thin girl wearing socks that looked just as stretched out. Socks that don't stretch without becoming distorted are just badly made socks. Sadly many socks are badly made. AP used to make the best socks for big legs but ever since they've started embroidering on them, they're terrible. The tights-type socks are stretchy enough for practically anyone, but because the dye is applied only to the top of the fabric while unstretched, the design fades awfully when stretched. You can sew 80 denier fabric with a size 9 ball-point needle so I may have to sew some of my favourites to heavy tights. :/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  17. cleverThylacine

[​IMG]

This is a more subtle "WTF dress" that is one of my favourite WTF dresses. I have a fair amount of Maxicimam because they make large sizes, but the thing that gets me about this is that it's a perfectly normal salopette/low-waist JSK cut but the rabbit garters are just ridiculous beyond belief.

I also don't have a picture of this and of course they went out of business, but Black Peace Now made a cardigan knit zip-up parka with a leather-six-pointed-star applique that looked really unfortunately reminiscent of the Holocaust.

18. cleverThylacine

19. IvyLB

wtf-burando is funny as hell, i wish they'd start posting again *sighs*

• Like x 1
  20. cleverThylacine

I used to post there a lot but I'm not sure anyone reads it. Also I haven't seen anything really awful lately except the Maxicimam thing, and this is the third time they've done that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice