Pieces Falling Off

Discussion in 'The Queen of Cups' started by Zin, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like x 1
  2. The Queen of Cups

The Queen of Cups What A Lovely Tale

Ambient Music For Background:

The woods are much more active, tonight, than they have been for awhile, and the wind is cold where it seeps in through the cracks in the windowframes. You've done your best to patch the house up, but... well... there are plenty of things that are still outside of your abilities, and some of the problems have grown as time has worn on. Still... it's home, and it's yours, and it's all you know.

The wolves are howling outside, in the woods, and the wind whistles low through the forest and the hills around your home...

[​IMG]

3. Roe Moore

Roe Moore do not leave me alone

Roe pulls the tattered ruins of a jacket tighter around his shoulders as he gropes towards the window. The wolves are howling, and he wants to check whether or not they've come close to the house. They usually don't, because even though he's only one human they can presumably smell him, but it's good to check.

He distantly wonders how long it's been since he's eaten. He knows he ate some canned green beans cold this morning, and he scrounged some acceptable looking cereal a while ago, but that was hours ago and there's that familiar pit in his stomach again.

(am i doing this right?)
    (i usually have to roll by now :P)

4. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

(rolled no successes on perception)

5. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

You peer into the brush through the glass, but you don't see any wolves stalking within your sight. Still... it's dark. Maybe too late to go out... though...

You see a small white shape in the brush near your house, but you can't see it in enough detail to identify what it is.

6. Roe Moore

Roe debates leaving the house to go check out the white thing.

It isn't raining, and he's incredibly curious. He has no idea what the devil the shape might be, despite how much time he has spent here.

The wolves are howling, however, so perhaps any sort of exploration ought be halted for later. For now, he presses his fingers against the glass, straining his eyes to try and identify what the shape may be.

(rolling another perception)
    (one success, 9)

7. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

You see a flash of a bushy, foxy tail in the brush.

8. Roe Moore

Food!

Or, anyway, something close to that. Foxes are nasty, but if Roe manages to kill it it would be something fresh. Something- something not canned or scrounged or pulled up from Mr. Isaac's garden.

As he's hastily rushing around his house, trying to be silent, seeking his knife, he remembers the wolves. Yes, the wolves, the ones howling just outside that would possibly be very interested in him. Or maybe not, it's not as though he presents any kind of appealing meal.

He grabs his knife anyway and nearly runs headfirst into the door in his rush to get out. Right, damn. He opens it properly and creeps around to the side of the house where he saw the fox.

(Roe has interesting priorities)
    (also: reccomendations on what i should roll?)

9. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

(( Perception. Dex + Stealth. Also: Wits+Survival is going to be one of your go-tos, especially for tracking game. ))

You can hear the rustling nearby, despite the blowing of the wind.

10. peripheral

Roe peers into the brush, looking for the fox. As long as he stays out of sight he may be able to follow it.

He creeps toward the brush.

(Rolling perception again)
    (Doesn't work)

(Rolling wits+survival)
    (1 success)

11. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

You're able to follow the sound a little deeper into the thick green brush...

You can hear it, still, and find a pawprint, but you think it's slowly moving ahead.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. Roe Moore

Roe is elated at the footprint, and continues on in the direction of the rustling.

(Wits+survival, one success)
    (I have "improvisation" as my survival specialization)
    (So maybe that's useful)

13. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

( it definitely can be, though not yet. Stealth+dex may also be something you want to roll to be sneaky. )

You're pretty sure you're on it's heels... it can't have gotten too much further, and you're quick and quiet, even in the forest... you've had enough practice to know your way around the woods.

14. Roe Moore

Roe smiles as he thinks he's getting closer.
    He holds the knife tightly in his hand. Now, just to find it so he won't miss.

(My stealth+dex pool is one die)
    (Success! Ten! Failed the reroll though)
    (Wits+survival, two successes)
    (Perception, three successes)

15. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

You manage to find it, hidden in a bush, white pelt bright in the darkness, easy to see now that you've grown closer. From the quiet crunching coming from it, it seems like you've got two fresh kills for the price of one, though...

That looks like... a rather large paw sticking past the fox. Maybe it didn't kill whatever it's eating...

16. peripheral

Whatever the fox is eating is big. Worryingly so, definitely not something that small could have killed.
    Anyway, that's not important, what's important is the potential of fresh meat.
    Though maybe it has something to do with the wolves...
    (Perception: 3 successes)

Roe creeps closer, preparing to strike...

17. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

It's a dead wolf, and a massive one...

18. Roe Moore

Roe halts when he realizes what the dead thing is. A wolf. Shit.
    It couldn't have been the wolves, right? Wolves wouldn't kill one of their own?
    He looks at the fox suspiciously. It couldn't have killed the wolf right?
    Then what the devil had done it?
    (Perception: one success)

19. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

The fox stills, letting out a distinct snorting sound, then turns it's head in Roe's direction.

A mass of what look like writhing worms encircle a deep multi-layered ring of gnashing, bloodied teeth, as a hunk of macerated flesh vanishes into its' gullet.

20. Roe Moore

What in the name of bandicoots is that???
    Whatever that thing is, it is definitely not a fox. Roe debates the possibility of hunger or tiredness induced hallucinations. He quickly discards that possibility when he realizes the wolves have fallen silent. If he were hallucinating, they would have gotten louder. Except maybe his brain is just getting better at screwing with him
    He feels like panic is in order, and the thing has noticed him anyway, so he let's out a very dignified "blifjskvkslgj" sort of noise before falling silent again.
    Slowly he raises his knife.
    Run or fight,run or fight.... he can't look away from it.
    What if it can fly?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice