Plant nerding

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by albedo, Mar 7, 2015.

1. albedo

albedo metasperg

Heh, sounds like my dad. I swear, he's renovated every room in his house. Sadly, I have to build my own stuff now, and I'm not good at it yet.

2. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

I have one of the tiniest backyards ever, but I manage to extract quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

I planted some radishes and spinach seeds yesterday--just enough to add fresh veggies to my sandwiches over the spring.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  3. albedo

albedo metasperg

I love your little round flower beds; they look awesome.

(And your yard is green, which I am so jealous of right now; I still have snow in one corner.)

• Like x 1
  4. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

[
    It's not a recent pic. I don't have snow right now, but the only flowers blooming are crocuses.

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

Aw. Still jealous; crocuses are lovely.

I woke up to spider mites on my calamondin, again. I'm sure I'm catching them within a couple hours of emergence, but this is the third time.

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

it's that time of year again, so we've gotten some new plants to add to the mix while the growing's good. my mom picked up some basil and cilantro and a few kinds of flowers. i also got this kid for my windowsill.

My Snapshot_24.jpg

that's not a very good picture, sorry. i only have the webcam on my laptop.

she also got a teensy pot with a really small cactus sticking out of it, but i don't know if it'll grow back as i don't really know enough about succulents other than most species need lots of sun and rare but regularish watering. i'll have to research a lil more.

• Like x 1
  7. albedo

albedo metasperg

Eeee! Is that a haworthia? I love those.

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

yes and it is absolutely adorable. i honestly didn't know about these until today, the little bumpety bumps are so neat.

9. albedo

albedo metasperg

They're awesome; I have a smooth one, but I still love it.

I, uh... have a hilarious number of houseplants. One of these days I'll haul out my camera and spam y'all. My herbs have devoured a card table.

• Like x 1
  10. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

oh my god i planted a blackberry shrub like 2 years ago and it never came up
    bb.png
    COULD IT BE??????

this isn't so much a garden as an experimental plant-living area. it was sad and full of trash so i made it green.
    its gonna be obnoxiously green in a few months because i got morning glories out of control
    pppppppppppppppppppppppplant.jpg
    here's what it looked like 3 years ago
    before.jpg

• Like x 1
  11. albedo

albedo metasperg

@lvkz Oh, wow. That sure looks like blackberry to me. Congrats! My parents tried those a couple years back, but they got devoured by bunnies.

12. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

yeah i've never seen a bunny with the gumption to come around here but i might have to put out one of those fake owls for the finches lol
    god, i forget the name of my plant because i'm a fake-ass gardener but they love to eat those pink flowering ones and bend over the whole stalk
    there's one coming up in the maybe-blackberry pic. that one. its got like a echinacea-lookin flower but the leaves are antlery like that
    i hope i have room to transplant out some of these crowded little ones, i had no idea there were so many seeds on the ground from last year after the bird feast. maybe theyll die

IT'S AN EXPERIMENT

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  13. albedo

albedo metasperg

Pfft, we're all fake-ass gardeners; nobody knows what they're doing. I am awful with names tbqh. Can't quite make it out, but it sounds like it's something in the asteraceae family; they're the only ones I know that really have that flower structure.

I'm almost jealous, we have SO MANY bunnies in my area. They swarm. Oh, how they swarm.

YAY, EXPERIMENTS. I'm super excited that my morning glories reseeded themselves, but I just realized that I had three plants last year, and they ate my whole patio. And now there's ... significantly more coming up. Oh dear. I'm going to need industrial-strength trellises.

• Like x 2
  14. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

morning glories will wreck your shit, that's kinda why i planted them the first year (that and the seeds are easy to collect off of local plants) (and they don't mind shitty soil). i call it my outdoor curtains. after this year hopefully i should be able to just mow everything down and work the scraps into the soil, have it reseed/root itself (i got mint and vinca too. yeah this area will be covered with vigorous purple-flowering cuties<3)
    i know it's an aster i just don't remember what i ordered hahahah. i should go look up the invoice. it's half bought seeds and half locally gathered seeds or transplants. i transplanted some mullein, sage, some of these guys and 2 other wildflowers i just spent like 30 minutes trying to google

• Like x 2
  15. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

in my childhood our morning glories grew so thick that i literally hid a housekey in them

they're very determined flowers

• Like x 1
  16. albedo

albedo metasperg

They're such pretty wreckers, though. I love them.

That's awesome. My garden is overgrown with thistles, which are vigorous and purple but much less fun ugh why did they have to be colony-forming.

I've got my vegetable seeds purchased, I just have to get the ground cleared and hoed out so I can plant them.

17. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Here in the Seattle suburbs, you don't have to plant blackberry. It invades. I am not sure I can presently get into my teensy back yard at all due to spiky blackberry runners everywhere. Gonna have to get out clippers / machete / chainsaw / minigun to solve the situation, depending how tough they end up proving.

• Like x 1
  18. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

Gardening in Washington should not even count, that's just cheating man (but nah, i'm seriously jealous ;_;)

19. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@lvkz it's only cheating if you try to grow ivy or blackberries. God forbid you try anything designed for warmer climates...

• Like x 1
  20. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

during an executive function fail episode this past winter, i planted what i was really, really sure was a miniature sunflower in a pot on my kitchen windowsill.

i now have a pumpkin vine strangling the oregano, climbing the basil, and plastering its big orange flowers against the window glass like it knows it doesn't belong indoors. but it's too goddamn cold to plant it out, because we're having this weird arctic air current thing in the midwest rn. be patient, small pumpkin, you were an accident but i will still grow you good and proper on the south side of the garage just as soon as we stop getting overnight frost in freAKING MAY WHAT IS GOING ON.

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice