Plant nerding

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by albedo, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

here there's a lot of farms (you can't go 5 mins in any direction without seeing 2 farms at least), so you'd think the soil would be pretty good. surprisingly, it's really not. in one part of our garden it is literally clay, in another it's baked sand. so, we get to garden in these box things (at least in the clay section):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they're actually really handy, they keep the plants kinda contained, so they don't run riot in the yard (fuck's sake why did i plant mint + cilanto in 1 garden), & they make it easier to maintain a good soil. they also provide good framework for a pea trellis! i'm probably going to have to wrestle my mum for any peas that grow.
    these 2 boxes are mine to do what i like with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i planted a bunch of herbs + some flowering plants + lettuces. a lot of the herbs i planted last year made it through the winter, despite them not being perennials & the winter being rlly bad. ??????? who knows. the chives went a little nuts, so did the mint (which i cut back a lot).

i understand the harvesting rocks thing, i was picking rocks out of the garden for a while before it was good (not on that level though, that is A Lot of rocks, that's like the boss level of rock harvesting)

aaaa i love gardening i'm so glad this thread exists! pls forgive the picspam, my garden is my pride & joy which i love to share with everyone

• Like x 5
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

We have achieved basil sprouts.

#nothing else yet #and they're only itty bitty roots just poking out of the seeds #but #we have achieved sprouts

EDIT I just checked again and we have attained sprouts on everything except the carrots

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    • Like x 1
  3. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

@inna We're using giant tires for basically the same thing. Also I took a picture of the rock harvest a while ago and never got around to posting it here;

[​IMG]

That's not even a super full shot but it gives you an idea.

4. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Hello! I got my aerogarden set up last week, I think I'm on day 8? It's been slow going, probably because I made the bad choice of trying to grow chillis in the middle of winter. Granted, subtropics winter so it's not awful, it just could definitely be faster. Only one chilli has sprouted thus far, I'm pretty happy with it though considering I was kinda expecting all of them to explode or something. It grew like crazy once it sprouted though, in one day it already outgrew its grow dome :D Though it does make me worry about the other plants, if they sprout much later than this one then it's probably going to hog all the light. Should I start pruning once it starts growing a bit more or what? It's still a sprout right now so it's probably not an option at the moment.

Also, one of the other pods ended up with moss or a fungus or something so its pod had to come off early to get rid of it. Boo.

• Like x 1
  5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Anyone know anything about growing flowering shrubs from seed? I've got two 18in hibiscus sprouts in pots in a window and am unsure how to judge their progress.
    No branching yet but they each have about 1/2 an inch of stem that appears to be turning woody.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i don't know a dang thing about it, but my dad is saving seeds from his peonies for me this year so i guess i'm going to learn :D

• Like x 1
  7. Aviari

I just ordered 30 stalks of lucky bamboo off Amazon to make arrangements with, but I can't find a credible source to figure out what numbers I want to use.

Like, one will be "Four stalks promotes creativity and friendship!" And another says "Don't do four never do four. Four is literally wishing death upon the house"

• Like x 1
  8. jacktrash

you can't go wrong with three.

but yeah, the number four sounds like the word for death in both chinese and japanese, so four is a bad-luck number out thattaway.

• Like x 1
  9. Aviari

I am very partial to threes, and five seems to be general good luck + drawing on all 5 elements as sources of luck.
    I'd found something that had meanings for the shaped stuff like spirals and heights and positioning somewhere, years ago, but alas.

Mostly I just love the stuff because it's hardy as all get out (You can mail full arrangements, it's great.) and grows up rather than out with not much of a root ball so you rarely have to re-pot it. Also, 30 asst stalks on Amazon for $12. I almost got the 60 pack for $20 because it's a better value! (No, lizardbrain, you don't need thirty extra stalks just because it's a few cents cheaper per stalk are you serious)

• Like x 1
  10. jacktrash

i repotted my basil into a bigger pot the other day. the bigger pot had been sitting on the patio. i brought the plant inside because there was going to be heavy rain and i didn't think it should have to deal with that so soon after being replanted.

today i picked up the pot from the kitchen counter and found a perfect fucking circle of tiny ants underneath, ringing a patch of tiny white ant eggs.

they had just designated the space between pot and counter as their nest, and moved all their babies there. why? why not! i didn't have the executive function to figure out what to do, so i just took the basil plant outside, and in the 30 seconds i was away from the ant circle i forgot it existed. some hours later i remembered, and went to see if my brainfail had caused a disaster, but they were gone. gone where? who knows!

@seebs i'm sorry, i may have caused our kitchen to become ant valhalla. :/

• Like x 3
  11. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

@jacktrash oh no, ants in the kitchen are not good news :-/ It reminds me of the time my mum stored a pot of organic sugaring wax (aka caramel) in her knicker drawer and the two days later the ants had a tidy marching line from the air brick, up the chest, and into the drawer. When she opened it, there was just a crawling mass of black bodies. It took ages to get rid of them all.

12. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

my mom got this flower as a gift, but no one seems sure what exactly it is. anyone recognize it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Aviari

Image is borked :(

14. Aviari

African Violets are such a pain to repot. Stiff widespread leaves + tiny root ball. Ugh.

That said, if anyone wants some I can start some cuttings and mail them.

I have lavender, dark dark purple and white w/ ruffly pink edges.

• Like x 1
  15. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I feel your pain. I'm not repotting my violet again until it literally can't grow anymore in its current pot. It's still doing awesome there, so it might just live in that pot for the rest of its life.

Reviving this thread to share my lucky bamboo. This thing is a trucker. I got it for my 13th birthday, way back in 2004, from my two best friends. Back then it had three stalks and was about six inches tall, in a pot I could hold in my palm. Now, I'm just going to show you some pictures.

2017-02-23 16.23.42.jpg
    two repottings later, 2.5 feet tall, down a stalk and a half, and still growing like a weed

2017-02-25 21.12.03.jpg

Taken from a cutting of his father. I have high hopes for him that he will one day grow as strong and beautiful as Lucky the Bamboo.

2017-02-25 21.12.37.jpg

who is affixed to the Naughty Chopstick until he can grow into a fine, upstanding plant like the rest of his family.

• Like x 1
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i neet to repot my zebra cactus because she is getting big and stronk, but the next size up is definitely outside plant size pot :( i dont know if she'll be ok outside cause the weather is bonkers and shes actually pretty sensitive for a zebra cactus. i dont know why im saying she so much it just happened that way

17. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

what zone do you live in, and how long until it's consistently warm? Plants will wait around for repotting for a while, in my experience. They're patient like that.

eta: don't worry too much about gendering your plants. they kinda grow their own personalities after a while, and there are definitely some plants that are ladies, and some that are dudes. I don't think they're going to care much if you don't get it right.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    • Like x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

BEEP BOOP IM HERE WITH THE YEARLY CREPE MYRTLE PICS

it's so fun to see how much bigger it gets every year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

resurrects thread for rose shenaniganry
    so I got a mini rose off "clearance" (read: for free from the floral lead of the store I work at) bc her first wave of blooms had died off and she was gonna get thrown out liiiike two weeks ago? she's got these real neat little peachy-yellow flowers
    20200918_152444.jpg
    thaaaaat spontaneously turn pink as they open more fully and die back for some reason
    20200918_152424.jpg
    all I can find online is for whole canes coming up a different color than the rest of the bush, not the individual blooms doing a non-temperature-mediated colorshift, so I'm just over here with my baffling magic roses

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Those are Stunning! Absolutely gorgeous

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice