Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

But yeah, if there's one thing I'm learning from this whole mess it's that I had no idea how long 20 seconds is. No wonder all of the tracks I make end up like 7 minutes long.

• Like x 1
  2. Exohedron

Taking a break from Coronavirus jokes to talk about Electronic Music again, in particular electronic techniques that appear in non-electronic contexts:

Vocal-chopping, wherein a lyric or a speech sample is chopped up and rearranged so that it's still recognizable as a human voice but is not what the human originally produced. Of course, a human can reproduce a lot of this effect; after all, it draws from the tradition of scatting amongst other things.

Also sidechain compression. Which you can also get acoustic musicians to do! For example,

the horns are fake-sidechained, in the sense they're told to lower the volume on the beat and raise it up between beats. Check out the making-of-video:

Also I suppose that if you get a pair of identical twins you might be able to pull off a flanger/phaser the way that Blondie did.

Anyway, the point is that these things don't really require electronic equipment at all, you just have to plan for them.

• Informative x 1
  3. Exohedron

One of my favorite things about GoT modern AUs is that Hot Pie is there and the authors sometimes feel the need to figure out how someone in the modern age gets referred to as Hot Pie by everyone, but sometimes they don't bother and he's just Hot Pie.

• Winner x 1
  4. Exohedron

I'm realizing that what I really want to make for my math stuff and my music stuff is not a blog, but a wiki. Hmm.

• Like x 1
  5. Exohedron

Once in a while I wonder if I'm still a weeb, and the answer is that the opening to Madoka Magica still makes me tear up a bit.

6. Exohedron

When you're listening to a cover of a song that was sung in English by someone with an accent from a place that isn't predominantly English-speaking, and the person covering the song also has an accent from a place that isn't predominantly English-speaking, but a different one, so it comes off as even more bizarre than if it were just one or the other despite probably being the same phonological distance, but you're so used to certain accents being unmarked that it seems to be more.

[EDIT]: I think some of the accent might actually be pitch-correction.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 10:46 PM
    • Agree x 1
  7. Exohedron

And now apparently Verizon internet is down for most of the Eastern US, and a good chunk of the rest of it.

• Witnessed x 1
  8. Exohedron

Internet's back!
    Fortunately I'm perfectly capable of wasting several consecutive hours playing 2048.

• Like x 1
  9. Exohedron

When you see a bunch of gifs of Japanese food and instantly recognize, not the individual images, but rather the fact that they're a collection implies that they're all from the movie Tampopo. Because no movie treats Japanese food the way Tampopo does.

• Winner x 1
  10. Exohedron

Maybe eating all the fruit in my freezer will alleviate some of the dumb food cravings I've been having since quarantining myself.

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Exohedron

How to tell my uncle that all governments will deliberately lie about anything they think they won't get punished for, and that the only reason that I would trust reports we hear about the US over those coming out of China is that we live in the US and the US governments, both state and federal, are garbage at keeping secrets and maintaining consistent propaganda?

[Edit] Also the sources of non-politically-motivated error in the US reports are more glaringly obvious.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 11:36 PM
  12. Exohedron

Apparently some pipe organs have MIDI input. Some pipe organs have MIDI input!
    I'm usually not so hyped about playing MIDI on acoustic instruments because I honestly find most acoustic instruments boring, but pipe organs have enough size and complexity that doing just about anything on them is interesting, and MIDI allows for playing pieces that would be hard or impossible for a human player.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice