Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Ganache your teeth

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Exohedron

It's cool that AO3 has finally added a latest-chapter link to the chapter count, at least in the blurb.

3. Exohedron

It probably surprises no one that I like Minesweeper. One thing I didn't appreciate about the old Windows version is that little face at the top of the board that flinched every time you clicked anything. It's like you don't trust me not to blow us both up. If you're so scared, get out of here, go flinch at someone else.

4. Exohedron

One problem with my room is that there are too many small, reflective surfaces, so when I run the overhead fan, I keep seeing flickers of movement out of the corner of my eye.

5. Exohedron

When you have part of a song stuck in your head, but it turns out that it's the Weird Al version.

[EDIT] Correction: the instrumental is Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but the lyrics are Weird Al's Pitiful parody of James Blunts' Beautiful; the matching of Journey and Blunt is from Axis of Awesome's Four Chord Song. This is not my fault.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. Exohedron

This twitter thread describing US food the way that we describe foreign food has some real gems.

• Like x 1
  7. Exohedron

Item: An egg, whitish, with a large black dot on the side. Every time you look at the egg the dot is facing you. Every once in a while a flap of skin slides around from the other side of the egg, covering it for a moment before retracting. The flap has really long lashes.

8. Exohedron

She wears short skirts / I wear t-shirts / can I make it more obvious?

9. Exohedron

When you order two meals at once because of Efficiency, but then realize that neither seems like it would refrigerate well and both would probably dissolve and/or explode if reheated.

10. Exohedron

There is plenty of fiction where there's supposed to be a massacre or something, and we just accept that "thousands of people were killed" and move on because they're not characters, they're not even NPCs or anything, they're just a number.
    So it makes me kind of impressed that in Chainsawman, the author Tatsuki Fujimoto follows up the statement that there was a massacre with four pages of names.
    I mean, sure, this isn't the first mass death in the series, and the previous ones didn't get a list of names. But this is the first one that is almost explicitly a reference to Hiroshima, in the sense of the US unleashing a superweapon on Japan.

I think this might also be the first Hiroshima allusion that I've seen in anime/manga in a while where Japan does present a legitimate existential threat to the rest of the world at the time of the attack, although of course the people killed have nothing to do with that.

[EDIT]: Holy shit. Chapter 76. Look at all those names.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  11. Exohedron

12. Exohedron

Every once in a while I wonder if I would like math as much if it didn't have such a scary reputation. I mean, I'm pretty sure that I'm an elitist snob in at least some respects, given my upbringing, but I would like to think that I like math in particular because I find it interesting, and not just because it was something that I found significantly less fearsome than my peers during my formative years. I mean, the fact that I was good at it certainly didn't hurt, and for most children skill and courage often go hand-in-hand for academic subjects, but still. If math were considered merely boring rather than terrifying, would I like it as much?

• Agree x 1
  13. Exohedron

Following up on my counting-on-your-fingers joke, that's how machine learning works. A bunch of simulated fingers are counted on, and then the machine spits out "it's a cat!"

• Winner x 1
  14. Exohedron

Another item for the list of "it's a good thing I don't have houseguests ever because I would totally buy this solely to annoy them": wobbly chess

• Winner x 1
  15. Exohedron

Whoever writes my dreams is really, really bad at this whole "POV" thing.

• Like x 1
  16. Exohedron

When my British friend goes off to California, should I tell him that when he orders fish and chips there he'll get sashimi and nachos? Or poke and nachos?

17. Exohedron

For a moment I thought these authors were doing something weird and possibly clever, but no, it turns out that they just fucked up when relabeling their variables and so now j stands for like three different things in the same equation.

• Witnessed x 1
  18. Exohedron

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone that, given both my general food preferences and the fact that I rarely consume alcohol, the only alcoholic drink I've had that I didn't think was disgusting was some cinnamon whisky; probably Fireball but I'll never know for sure because I don't care enough to ask anyone relevant.
    It was probably just that the cinnamon covered for the taste of the whisky, and it was only a single shot so the hangover didn't hit immediately the way it tends to if I have any significant amount of alcohol.

19. Exohedron

I feel like I should have some opinion on the PDF vs Postscript thing, given how much LaTeX I produce. But no, I don't, other than that since I tend to use Windows at home, I am more used to PDF.

20. Exohedron

Clades are heritable, generally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice