Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Most computer code is entirely unreadable, even by the person who wrote it, and this is just a fact of the world and I'll read uncommented spaghetti code if I have to but I really don't want to be the one in charge of trying to get the programmer to write comments.

• Agree x 1
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

AMEN AND HALLELUJAH

3. Exohedron

The High Place Phenomenon is probably not actually the reason why 75% of player messages in Dark Souls are "Try jumping" but it's nice to think that it's not all asshattery.

4. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

What is the High Place Phenomenon? Google only gives me Bible resources when I search it.

5. Exohedron

Apparently roughly 50% of people, without any other symptoms of suicidal ideation or intrusive thoughts, will get the urge to toss themselves off of ledges or bridges or cliffs or whatnot when they get too close to an edge. No real cause or mechanism is known, although I think most researchers guess that it's probably just residual monkey instincts that aren't getting suppressed completely.
    It might be related to other urges to do obviously stupid things, like touching hot stoves or sticking your fingers in animal's mouths.

• Informative x 1
  6. Exohedron

One of my favorite tropes in romance manga and comics is when toward the end of a chapter there's a panel focusing on a character's left hand and there's a ring on their finger, and it turns out that the author had deliberately obscured the character's left hand up to that point, but the reader doesn't notice because they weren't given a reason to want to see the character's hand until that moment.
    It definitely a visual trick, because in text you simply don't mention it, but that's different from having to draw the hand without bringing attention to it.
    I suppose this can also be done in tv shows and film.

• Like x 1
  7. Exohedron

I think the only food that I prefer microwaved over any other form of heating method is hotdogs. Like, even sausages I tend to prefer grilled, but hotdogs, like Hebrew National beef franks, I definitely prefer diced and microwaved.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  8. Exohedron

X-Risk, except the X is as the X in "X-Games", or conversely X-Games, except the X is as the X in "X-Risk".

• Winner x 1
  9. Exohedron

Having recently gotten back into the Miraculous Ladybug fandom, it's shouldn't be a surprise that I keep having flashbacks to how every time I went over to this one friend's house his little sister made us watch Aristocats. It's a good movie, not gonna lie, although I don't remember much of it by now. Still, every single time.

10. anthers

anthers sleepy

I read this post and immediately heard the piano song that the kittens play while the girl sings in my head.

11. Exohedron

I was the rubber duck in a rubber duck debugging today. Successfully, I might add.

• Winner x 3
  12. Exohedron

I really like it when animals that are being recorded discover the camera. They probably don't understand that they're being watched, they just want to bat at the smooth round thing that sometimes moves and sometimes has lights on it.

• Agree x 1
  13. Exohedron

In one tab I have a long thread of mathematicians and philosophers trying to determine where the boundary between syntax and semantics lies, what constitutes form versus content and what kind of reasoning can be done with one but not other.
    In another tab I have nostalgebraist-autoresponder, which seems to have mastered form decently, but content...well, it's a GPT bot.
    And I just kind of want to introduce them to each other.

• Winner x 1
  14. Exohedron

The other reason I can't play tetris is that my direction keys are dying. I mean, my down button is essentially nonresponsive, and now my left button is starting to come unhinged, literally. I didn't even think I used the left button all that much compared to the right button, but no, it's starting to break while the right button is still fine, as far as I can tell.

15. Exohedron

I rewatched Muppet Treasure Island today, because it's a good movie, Brent, and I think there is exactly one joke that I would change. Not even the joke itself, really, which is a good joke, but the delivery could be a little more subtle, I think. Of course, it's a kid's movie, so maybe more subtle isn't the best idea, but still.

When the crew is gathered, one trio consists of Old Tom, Real Old Tom, and Dead Tom. It's pretty clear that Dead Tom is a body getting hauled around and puppeted (by, yes, a Muppet), or at least I think it is.
    Later in the movie, Dead Tom gets shot, and we are treated to a scene of one of the sailors weeping over Dead Tom's corpse, and wailing that "Dead Tom's dead!" Then one of the others reminds the weeper that Dead Tom's always been dead, hence the name, "Dead Tom". The weeper realizes that Dead Tom's state of being hasn't really changed significantly, and drops the body on the ground.

I'm not sure that had to be spelled out so bluntly. I'm not entirely sure how I would have worded it, but maybe more along the lines of the other sailor repeating the phrase "Dead Tom's dead" with particular emphasis to indicate how redundant the wording is. But perhaps this is a little too subtle, if it isn't as clear that Dead Tom is already dead as I think it is. He's got the classic "dead" indicators, x-ed out eyes, limp, getting hauled around by other characters, but given the variety of Muppet designs it could be a little ambiguous.

16. Exohedron

I came within a hair's breadth of having to use Excel today. Except we had some file system fuckery and ended up in soffice instead.

17. Exohedron

In my current main two fandoms, each has a character named "Mace" and it gets rather confusing when I forget which fic I have open, because they are very different characters.

18. Exohedron

I actually really want one of the Ubisoft "glitch" mugs.

19. Exohedron

Having spent much of today searching for other people's keys

20. Exohedron

Advanced crutonics

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice