Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

When I was
    A baby
    My mama
    Told me son be a good boy
    Don't ever play with guns

2. Exohedron

Identity angst in romance stories, going through the mortifying ordeal of being loved without the benefits of being known.

• Agree x 1
  3. Exohedron

The delightful sound of packet loss

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Exohedron

If the reason that British Cuisine gets such a bad rap internationally is because of the mid-century food rationing, well, that sucks. I mean, I actually really like shepherd's pie and fish and chips as they are, but yeah, the forced loss of food culture, to the point where now your reputation is based on things outside of your control? That sucks.
    But I guess the question then becomes, what of the cuisine from before then? Like, we hear about, say, French dishes that were served to kings and nobility dating back to the 1600s or the like, and that has become our understanding of "French cuisine". What happened to the British food that was served to the British nobility during the 1600s, the 1700s, the 1800s?

• Agree x 1
  5. Exohedron

Every once in a while I am reminded that I have two Facebook accounts that I haven't touched in like a decade and those are probably never getting touched by me ever again since I've forgotten the passwords and also I don't care about them.

• Agree x 1
  6. Exohedron

I think the ultimate problem with my Towers deck is that to make it I would have to either find or create four distinct images containing exactly ten towers. Also four images, distinct but related to the corresponding previous images, containing exactly nine towers. And so on. And like, I don't want to cheat by making them look like Bicycle cards; I want full-blown tarot deck cards, but all Towers.

7. Exohedron

There's just something about seeing a billboard advertising the fact that it is available to put advertisements on.

• Agree x 1
  8. Exohedron

Suddenly realizing that I finally live in a state that contains a Waffle House, but upon further research finding that the closest one is still too far away to justify driving to just to go to a Waffle House on my own. Like, if I was with a friend, then yeah, I could totally imagine going "let's go to Waffle House". But it's a little bit outside the time-budget that I'm willing to allocate to get food by myself if I have nothing else to do in the area.

• Witnessed x 1
  9. Exohedron

This paper on longest chess games is amazing, in particular section 3.

• Like x 1
  10. Exohedron

Probably unsurprising, but if someone wants to hear vehement but not particularly well-considered or even coherent or stable opinions from me, one can try asking me about math education in the US. I mean, please don't, but that's probably the quickest way to get me into that state.

• Agree x 1
  11. Exohedron

Every once in a while I remember seeing this modeling doll online, one of those artist figures that you use for posing reference. No face, no hair. This was before synthetic skin was all that good, so it was all solid piece. But it had a ridiculous number of joints, including like a five piece ab section for ab crunches, and because it was all solid pieces all of these joints caused gaps in the shell, so it was like an inverted armadillo whose skeleton you could clearly see through the cracks.
    It was super creepy, like, haunted doll going to wake up at night, skitter over to your bed on all fours and kill you kind of creepy. This is the kind of body your soul gets shoved into if you've been Bad in a supernatural horror movie, trapped for eternity in a faceless doll with no skin and too many joints.

I really wish I had bought it at the time, but it was expensive and I didn't have a real job, and now I can't find it; all the posing dolls for sale these days have synthetic rubber skin and while still creepy aren't creepy in the same way.

12. Exohedron

When you're dragged away from your (rather unpleasant) task to dispense sage advice on a topic that you only vaguely understand because the person who actually might have relevant knowledge has gone to the bathroom.

13. Exohedron

People's names in mainstream US culture don't contain enough parts. I understand using your family name as the formal component of your name back when your formal behavior was itself tied to family membership, but it's kind of weird these days. Really there should be a naming component that is specifically tied to you but for formal situations. Like, the name that shows up on your driver's license and your tax forms and correspondences from government agencies asking about strange discrepancies with regards to such shouldn't be inherited from your father and shared with the rest of the family. Imagine your siblings addressing you as "M. [formal name]" whenever you're goofing together, and you don't have to say the same thing back to them, because yes, you're being deliberately ridiculous, but you are still different people being ridiculous.

• Agree x 1
  14. Exohedron

Both not specific enough and also not my idea (h/t to GalahadWilder) so I'm not putting it in the Fic that Needs to Exist thread, but what a concept: Reverse Fake Marriage. They're really getting married, they are actually together together, they love each other and know that they love each other, it's all real, but for Reasons they need to convince everyone else that it's just for tax purposes.
    None of the angst or the pining, nothing but shenanigans and bad alibis and trying to coordinate lies on the fly.

• Winner x 2
  15. Exohedron

If you're going to buy a sports car at least have the decency to drive at actual highway speed on the highway! All that horsepower and you're going to creep along at 40 mph when the speed limit is 55 and all the other lanes are going 80?

• Agree x 1
  16. Exohedron

Things that are "true" because they are easy to model.

• Like x 1
  17. Exohedron

As the election gets closer and my mailbox fills with various campaigns exhorting me to vote, I just smile and think to myself "jokes on you, I mailed my ballot in a month ago."
    I kind of wish I could get a sticker, though. The email acknowledgement from the local election committee is nice but I liked having a sticker. It's kind of like getting a lollipop from the doctor.

• Agree x 1
  18. Exohedron

Among Sus

• Winner x 1
  19. Exohedron

The abrupt realization, seconds after posting, that what you've just posted is really not the kind of thing you would think to click on naturally unless recommended by someone who wrote something that you would think to click on naturally.
    Oh well.

20. Exohedron

"I talked about my research and now I can go back to doing manual labor"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice