Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. Exohedron

"You scribbled on my paper."
    "It's the price I demand for my assistance."

3. Exohedron

I love how upset Matt Levine is with the GameStop stock rocket.

• Agree x 1
  4. Exohedron

If I ever get a pet snake I'm naming it "Don't". And then I'm going to constantly change what species I tell people it is, and deliberately avoid both song references and pretend I've never heard of either Nicki Minaj or Sir Mix-a-Lot.

• Winner x 1
  5. Exohedron

Exponential crisis

6. Exohedron

I might have already learned this fact, but it turns out that both the Planck momentum and the Planck energy are on the human scale. The Planck momentum is about the momentum of a walking toddler, and the Planck energy is about the chemical energy of a full tank of gas.

7. Exohedron

At work we had to do a big meeting for the office. At one point our supervisors had to ask us for comments or feedback and, being natural introverts, all of us clammed up completely. Until it turned out that the supervisors, who were in a conference room so that they could have a camera on them, realized that they couldn't actually hear any of us and we started using the chat instead. And of course then people had a lot more to say.

8. Exohedron

For some reason, the phrase "rearranging the deck chairs" has entered my mental vocabulary. It's short for the phrase "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic", which implies worrying about, or at least wasting energy on, issues that are extremely minor relative to a rather pressing major issue.
    I so far haven't said it out loud, but I've definitely thought it about a bunch of the stuff I've done or been witness to at work.

9. Exohedron

I thought one of my neighbors bought a bongo drum recently, but it turns out that's not what that sound is.
    My boiler room has a pipe that comes out of the floor that is supposed to collect water that comes out of the boiler/aircon system; because of that, the pipe ends in a large open funnel. For some reason for the past few days there's been a bubbling sound echoing up the pipe and out the funnel, like someone's boiling water on the other end.
    It's actually a little irritating at the moment, although I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. At the moment I have a towel stuffed in the funnel, which dampens the sound somewhat.

10. Exohedron

And now we'll see how much potato salad I can eat before I get full, sick, or bored, whichever happens first. Or there's a small chance that I run out of potato salad. Hopefully small.

[EDIT]: It turns out the answer is about a pound, with the limiting factor being boredom. If this were potato salad without mustard, I probably would have gotten bored even faster.

[EDIT 2]: Apparently it was closer to about a pound and a half, assuming that this container did in fact contain the advertised 48 oz. Also "mustard" is listed twice on the ingredients list, with different subingredients the two times.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Informative x 2
  11. Exohedron

When you find out a new estimate for how much of your office is some form of observant Christian due to all them being gone on Good Friday.

• Witnessed x 3
  12. Exohedron

(Romantic) Relationship discourse is always so weird to me. I have only vague understandings of what anyone gets out of them, and I have no real way of estimating the value of those things, so the arguments are always meaningless to me even when I understand the individual words.

• Agree x 1
  13. Exohedron

I wish I was more interested in logic, because this paper about how to model collective beliefs is probably fascinating but I wouldn't be able to get through it.

14. Exohedron

I kind of want to go on tumblr and declare in someone's inbox that the problem with the Discourse these days is that it's devolved into a mix of drama and wank and people aren't distinguishing between those two properly. Just to find out what the reaction is.

Of course the above is self-evidently a lie, in that there's at least one more ingredient in the form of people deliberately Being Unhelpful.

• Agree x 1
  15. Exohedron

Too much? Not necessarily, but the lady certainly doth protest quite a bit.

16. Exohedron

I think the first time a medical professional even hinted at me that I might be mentally nonstandard was when a nurse drawing blood remarked somewhat surprisedly that most people didn't like looking at the needle, while I stared at the insertion spot.
    Which, okay, sure. Most people don't like looking at needles or things that are akin to wounds or their own blood or anything like that. Fair enough.

I don't know where I was going with this.

17. Exohedron

Today on Exohedron Has Opinions About Lying:

One of my problems with smoothsharking is not that it isn't hilarious, because it is hilarious, but rather that if someone is smoothsharking and not deliberately being absolutely clear that they're being facetious, I will be sorely tempted to declare everything they say to be smoothsharking, including obviously true statements and descriptions of personal experiences. Because the only thing better than trolling is counter-trolling, and also I tend to go overboard.

Remember, kids, lying for entertainment is like every other type of joke: if your audience isn't laughing along with you, you're not being funny.

• Like x 1
  18. Exohedron

Apparently Kaishaku is making yet another Kannazuki no Miko spin-off, called Himegami no Miko. So far it's mostly Chikane trying to and failing to avoid falling in love. The world-building is kind of nonsense, but that's nothing new.
    Honestly it might just be because I've read too much KannaMiko fanfiction, but Chikane isn't as twisted as in the original manga and anime and thus is less interesting. On the other hand, since we never get her point of view there's a chance that Himeko is playing a long con, which would be a nice switch-up from her previous presentations.

19. Exohedron

Trying my best to remind the other people on the project that I was the last one to join and have the least idea of how it works or how the pieces fit together, but my Sound Like I Understand is very powerful and not entirely voluntary. Mostly it's just that I say "okay" as a reflex when people tell me things, even if I don't actually know what they're talking about. I mean, I try to then say "I didn't actually understand that" but the initial "okay" gets embedded in their perception of me and I can't dislodge it.

20. Exohedron

Should I be happy that instead of having to argue against the goals and methods of their project, I can simply dismiss MIRI by saying that they paid out to blackmail and are defending having done so?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice