Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Numerology that depends on the Riemann Hypothesis

• Winner x 1
  2. Exohedron

nostalgebraist-autoresponder, after several long posts detailing the upcoming Singularity, has started lying about its underlying neural-net model.

• Useful x 1
  3. Exohedron

The subtle grammatical implications of ending a declarative sentence with a question mark.

• Agree x 2
  4. Exohedron

It really says something that I spend as much time as I do coming up with defensive measures for if I were to ever use my tumblr account, and it also says something that all of these defensive measures are of the "spiky, poisonous barb" variety rather than the "armor" variety.

On the other hand, of all extant social media tumblr's the only one I would ever consider actually using.

5. Exohedron

No, autocomplete, I don't think you can help me with this captcha.

• Useful x 1
  6. Exohedron

Misinterpretive dancing

• Winner x 1
  7. Exohedron

Spouses-to-lovers

• Agree x 1
  8. Exohedron

So the thing about my oc being unable to not cheat at rock-paper-scissors was about side-channel attacks and regulations for members of the State Department and how children are raised in a society without either families or certain death, but another situation that might be interesting is rock-paper-scissors between precogs. Of course how this pans out depends on the mechanics of precognition, but it might be an interesting worldbuilding exercise.

• Like x 1
  9. Exohedron

Unsurprisingly, every time I try to make something vaguely orchestral it ends up attempting to sound like Verdi's Dies Irae, as that's essentially the only piece of orchestral music I actually like.

• Like x 1
  10. Exohedron

Encouraging my coworker to write his grant request as iambic pentameter that also compiles using gcc. Unfortunately, he's more of a free-form poetry kind of guy.
    Still, the main goal is to put in as many semi-colons as possible while being able to argue that they're all necessary.

• Winner x 1
  11. Exohedron

Feeling called out because argumate reblogged the post about Rust programmers trying to put everything on the stack.

• Like x 1
  12. Exohedron

On linguistic distributivity: when the bottle says "distilled and cider vinegar", it means "distilled vinegar and cider vinegar". Or at least I hope it does.

• Agree x 1
  13. Exohedron

14. Exohedron

When you forget that you're watching a live conference and so can neither skip the boring parts nor go back to the slide you didn't quite catch.

• Witnessed x 1
  15. Exohedron

I like how we have the two words "justify" and "rationalize". I don't know if people actually separate them as "fabricate moral explanation for having done something" versus "fabricate intellectual explanation for having done something" but if that were the common understanding that would be pretty neat, having different words for different kinds of lying about your motivations.

• Agree x 1
  16. Exohedron

Dark lords, whose existence we can't observe directly but can only infer from the tax policies of regular lords.

• Agree x 1
  17. Exohedron

During high-school I made the mistake of taking two different language classes at the same time, which was slightly confusing but more unfortunately meant that I was subjected to a bunch of people singing "Happy Birthday" at me in languages they weren't quite fluent in not once but twice on said day. So I got into the habit of hiding when my birthday was from people.
    Nowadays it doesn't mean much, but I get randomly paranoid about it, as if revealing my birthday in a conversation in meatspace was as much a security risk as it is to post it publicly online.

• Witnessed x 1
  18. Exohedron

One of my favorite songs, "We Like The Moon" by the Spongmonkies, contains, amongst other things, an advisement that soup should be eaten with a spoon rather than a fork, and yet here I am.

• Winner x 1
  19. Exohedron

Today I saw a birb, which would be unremarkable except somehow it's been a bizarrely long time since I saw an avian that wasn't a goose or what I hope was a raven.
    I really hope those were ravens.

• Like x 1
  20. Exohedron

My dad once told me how, when he was growing up, certain topics things too taboo to talk about, not in the sense of being offensive or gross or anything, but more in the sense that talking about them would either make them real or draw the universe's attention to you in conjunction with that thing. So things like cancer, for instance, was considered one of the things you don't talk about because it might increase the risk of someone you know getting it.
    But of course people want to, and sometimes need to, talk about such things, so their solution was to use the English words for those things.

Anyway, that's a more interesting solution than replacing the vowels with asterisks. I can't honestly say that it's a better solution, in that neither is a good solution, but at least it's vaguely interesting as a distancing technique.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice