Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Unless I've managed to completely blank the event out of my memory, I never got The Talk, i.e. that conversation with a parent (or parents, I guess sometimes?) wherein a young-but-not-so-young child is told about sex and reproduction and relationships and whatnot. And it's supposed to be embarrassing to the point of mildly traumatizing for everyone involved and is part of the ritual of Having A Kid and Being A Kid.
    From what I can tell, my parents figured that I was reading enough biology and anatomy books at the time that I probably understood the basic mechanics. That still leaves the relationship bits, and I really hope they didn't think I was getting that from the fiction I was reading, considering that it was probably the Pern series at the age that The Talk should have occurred.
    Not that it ended up mattering, since I seem to be aro/ace, or at most demi-whatever and prone to not hanging out with people enough to get over the intimacy barrier.

Anyway, cultural touchstones something something something.

2. Exohedron

I really don't have any mathematical intuition for how one does estimates, which sounds a little ironic now that it's not just a thought in my head. But like for analysis or probability I just have no intuition for how to deal with things that aren't exact equalities. "Err, these things go down, but these other things go up? Do they cancel...-ish? Am I allowed to make these simplifications?"
    Unsurprisingly, I'm also garbage at stats, not because I don't understand the formulas but because I don't trust either them or myself enough to go ahead with anything.

3. Exohedron

There aren't many games where you can beat the world map. Not the world, the map.
    I don't know where I am.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Like x 1
  4. Exohedron

It's so hard to keep track of which levels you've beaten when you've turned them into characters on the world map and so their icon looks like a rabbit and not the number 7.

• Winner x 1
  5. Exohedron

Sometimes the best strategy is to forget about moving and just fill the entire universe with copies of yourself. You can die as many times as you want but you only need to win once.
    Note: Sometimes this is a bad idea.

6. Exohedron

I really love the weird giant dog/weird tiny horse dichotomy.

7. Exohedron

Maybe I should have expected a world called "Meta" to be Like That.

8. Exohedron

So it turns out that the bad end of Baba is You is actually a little disturbing. Like, "Oh, you wanted to beat the game? You wanted to break all the rules and cheat your way to victory? You think that's how this goes? Fine. Have it your way."

9. Exohedron

I'd forgotten that of the 6 minutes that this track lasts, the first four of them are meditative drone and only the last two are angry breakcore.

10. Exohedron

I had a miserable headache for several hours yesterday and my usual remedies of drinking lots of water, listening to loud music, and lying in the dark with my eyes closed didn't really help.
    Not entirely sure of the causality here, but apparently eating helped.
    I hope that's not what hunger feels like for most people. For one thing, it's localized in entirely the wrong place, and for another it's too similar to a number of other error messages.

11. Exohedron

The more I think about it, I think that if there is a technological singularity then there probably will be a technological event horizon preceding it, a point of no return and also where our coordinate system breaks down not for any intrinsically meaningful reason but because we're looking at the situation from an inconvenient frame of reference, and the actual passing of which will be entirely unremarkable at the time.
    This is not to say that I believe in the possibility of a technological singularity, but it's also possible that we've already passed said event horizon.

12. Exohedron

People joke about Game of Thrones having a Monty Python ending, without really understanding that you can apply Quest for the Holy Grail to the entire show.
    I mean, the entire plotline south of the Wall is basically "you don't vote for king". You can even spin the Battle of the Trident as a "farcical aquatic ceremony" if you really want to.
    Also people losing limbs all the time.
    I don't remember enough of the plot to think of a good use for the wooden rabbit, but still.
    On the other hand, the direwolves could totally be the killer rabbit. The great black beast of Aaaarrgh is pretty obvious.

13. Exohedron

Endgame was pretty good. Like, there were bits that were bad, and definitely bits that were Bad, and even bits that were Problematic. But I enjoyed it while I was watching it, and I didn't spend a ton of money to go see it so whatever.
    Also,
    "Mr. Thanos, I don't feel so good.

14. Exohedron

I think I have a better handle on the constructive connectedness criterion.
    One version is "for all x and y, x = y", i.e. a version where both ends of the connection are free to move.
    The other version is "there exists an x such that for all y, x = y", which has a basepoint.
    In HOTT, the second version implies contractibility, while the first is less popular.
    But the more significant difference, at least classically, is that the second implies that the space is nonempty as well.

15. Exohedron

For some reason, the version of "We Didn't Start The Fire" that plays in my head is about 10-15 bpm faster than the actual one. Sometimes up to 25 bpm faster. It makes quite a difference.

16. Exohedron

There's something about getting the very last space in the parking lot, two hours after it should have been completely filled up.

• Winner x 1
  17. Exohedron

While I understand why it has to exist, I'm still highly amused by the existence of time.gov.

18. Exohedron

I'm starting to realize that my "it's a friend!" reaction to certain types of small animals never seems to trigger for mammals. Reptiles, amphibians, arthropods, yes. No mammals yet, nor birds.

19. Exohedron

"Just pretend you're in college again" was less effective than I might have hoped at convincing my supervisor to chug a liter of warm soda.

20. Exohedron

Dream-me apparently is capable of much stronger emotional responses than awake-me, or maybe my character was just being railroaded. Given that this character definitely had physical characteristics that differed significantly from the ones that awake-me has, I'm uncertain how much me that character was supposed to be.
    In fact, upon further thought, I'm pretty sure my brain was just regurgitating parts of Hieronym's To The Stars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice