Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Every once in a while I'm reminded that I can't play real drums. Not because I'm out of practice, which I am, but because actual acoustic drums are fucking loud.

2. Exohedron

The subtle difference between referring to someone as a "coworker" and referring to someone as a "colleague"

3. Exohedron

The thing is, he might be quirky but he's not genuinely weird.

4. Exohedron

Going to start telling people that marmelade is a sports drink. From like New Zealand or something.

• Winner x 1
  5. Exohedron

It bothers me and I'm not sure why it bothers me that I don't really like chicken meat. I mean, fried chicken is fine and all but mostly because of the fried, not the chicken. I'm under mo obligation to like chicken, but it would open my food choices up a bit, and I like having choices.

• Like x 1
  6. Exohedron

Hey Jude, don't make it weird

7. Exohedron

Having to rewrite a colleague's paper because despite being very intelligent, she has no idea how exposition works. Not only in terms of the mechanics, but, like, the point of it.

8. Exohedron

Now convinced that more people should breakdance in skirts, because the hem will flare out when they windmill. Aesthetically I'd favor long dresses with weighted hems so that the hem will really flare out when they spin, but that would be impractical for breakdancing.

• Like x 1
  9. Exohedron

Okay, one of the few joys of being project lead is getting to suggest bad puns for the product name and having people genuinely worry that I'm going to carry through with it.

10. Exohedron

I hope they learned why they shouldn't try to update all the systems at the same time and that we have redundancies for a reason, but it's about 50/50 whether they didn't learn that lesson, or they already know it but there's some stupid policy from above that dictates that everything has to get updated simultaneously.

11. Exohedron

I'm definitely more cynical than my dad.

12. Exohedron

Having a conversation (pseudo-argument) about barbeque sauces. Someone wanders in to the conversation and I ask him, in a somewhat shit-stirring way, what his favorite barbeque sauce is. He says he wasn't aware that there were different kinds of barbeque sauce, and about thirty seconds after that I remember that he's vegan.

About five minutes later he mentions that he's only been vegan for a few years and he's had barbeque before, he just never thought much about the sauce.

13. Exohedron

Like telling someone who's into astrology that the Western Zodiac isn't even a zodiac because not all the signs are animals, and that's why Western astrology is bullshit.
    Eastern astrology, on the other hand

14. Exohedron

You'd think that I'd realize, after noticing that the fridge here is too cold, that I shouldn't keep things in the fridge for too long if I don't want them partially frozen.

15. Exohedron

For a moment I thought he said "intelligence agents" would sift through metadata on our behalf and windered why this was the cyberpunk optimistism branch, that spies were going through our metadata.
    It turns out that

1: he actually said "intelligent agents", i.e. software processes

2: the pessimistic version is that the metadata is so poisoned by garbage and lies as to be useless to everybody.

16. Exohedron

The more I think about it (and why do I keep thinking about it?) the more I'm convinced that the major mode shouldn't be the main mode . There are three better choices:

1: Lydian, which is major 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th and augmented 4th. If you're on a piano, F Lydian is only the white keys. This way, you get the other diatonic modes by diminishing stuff until you get to the other end. Notably, Lydian is usually considered the "prettiest" of the modes, and diminishing makes things less pretty until we get to
    2: Locrian, which is minor 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th and diminished 5th. If you're on a piano, B Locrian is only the white keys. This way, you get the other diatonic modes by augmenting stuff until you get to the other end. Notably, Locrian is usually considered the "ugliest" of the modes, and augmenting makes things less ugly.
    3: Dorian, which is major 2nd and 6th, and minor 3rd and 7th, with normal 4th and 5th. This is smack-dab in the middle. If you're on a piano, D Dorian is only the white keys.

In comparison, the standard Major scale is major 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th with an unaugmented 4th, which I think is really a missed opportunity.

Anyway, thinking about (18th century German aristocratic) music theory only makes me upset, so I should stop doing it.

17. Exohedron

There are certain musical instruments that can be meaningfully and usefully played by multiple people at once, the piano being a common example. There are also certain musical instruments for which this is ... more difficult.

18. Exohedron

I keep forgetting that for me at least, obnoxious music at medium volume is better at getting rid of headaches than silence. There's a number of reasons why I'm pretty sure I have ADHD, and this is one of them.

19. Exohedron

Getting my moral axioms from Konsole, call that terminal values.

20. Exohedron

My "Europeans colonizing the world for hemlock" bit makes it pretty clear that I keep forgetting that eggplants, tomatoes and potatoes are nightshades.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice