Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

First case I've run into where the problem is in fact too much in the manual, because the manual was written for the full system and not for the amputated portion that we actually have, and there's no documentation about which features we actually have or don't have on our version because the help page just sends you to the manual.
    Wow, how helpful.

• Witnessed x 2
  2. Exohedron

I think the problem, beyond not knowing how to write lyrics anymore (I used to be decent at poetry! It was all existential teenage drivel that probably foreshadowed my dissociation, but it had some good imagery and some of the technique wasn't bad either), is that I don't leave any space for lyric in the tracks. It's all melodies and countermelodies all the time. The most I have room for are complicated vocables and quotes from old sci-fi movies.

The other problem is that interpretation is a lot harder for the human voice than it is for most instruments, in that there are a lot more parameters and also minor differences in delivery make very big differences in effect. I knew this going in, but unlike with instrumental sound design I don't understand how things work, both in terms of what the results I want are and also how the Vocaloid UI functions.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  3. Exohedron

Where it's like, of course God is the will of the universe, but just like with humans the universe is actually mostly run by its gut flora, which we call "physics".

4. Exohedron

The problem of trying to dress formally after years of dressing like a techie is that a bunch of my formal clothes don't fit anymore.

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Exohedron

What is the singular form of Powers That Be? For some reason, Power That Be totally doesn't work for me.

6. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Isn't powers that be also a singular? You wouldn't say "a weather" either :|c

7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

8. Exohedron

I want to say "Power That Is" as well, but it's not quite a complete grammatical analogy, since it would be "Powers That Are".

Also, "Powers That Be" is definitely plural, in that I wouldn't use it to refer to, say, God.

9. Exohedron

Okay, the other, other, other problem is accent. The vocal engine I got, like most Vocaloids, is based off a Japanese singer, and thus has a noticeable Japanese accent. The words-to-phoneme library is based on English, but the pronunciation is just a little off for a native speaker. Also it turns out that, unsurprisingly, I'm not looking for American Newsreporter English. I'm looking for an accent that sounds like the accent I want to (but don't, for various reasons) have, and I'm not entirely sure how that accent works. Plus I'm not entirely certain how the phoneme representation works, because it's not a system that I recognize; it's not X-Sampa, and it's not IPA. If I didn't have the reference manual I'd be totally lost, but even with the manual I have to do some guesswork.

10. Exohedron

I keep forgetting that "emphasis on beats 2 and 4" is considered syncopation. I'm just "what kind of lame-ass two-step shit is this? Move your snares! Give me a real break."

11. Exohedron

*gets down on one knee, reaches into my pocket and pulls out a large pot which I put on my head* Let Me Solo You

• Like x 1
  12. Exohedron

I was this close to getting someone else to make the project name a Homestuck reference. Imagine the psychic damage it could have inflicted, and my hands would have been clean.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. Exohedron

Just realized that Hob Gadling is literally the "RIP to you but I'm different" meme

14. Exohedron

Hot chocolate but made with apple cider instead of water or milk: pretty good.

• Like x 1
  15. Exohedron

My mom has discovered pop music. Particularly, Pentatonix.

• Like x 2
  16. Exohedron

So I haven't been paying much attention to Gundam after the mess that was Gundam 00, but apparently Iron Blooded Orphans had (word of god) polyamory and the new one is somehow Utena (it's already got the female main character winning the right to marry the female love interest by beating her abusive fiancé in a duel and is written by Ichiro Okouchi, who wrote some of the Utena novels).

Not sure how I feel about the mech design.

[Edit] Having watched the Witch From Mercury prologue, I'm a little more comfortable with the mech design, seeing it in motion. Also the ending scene was some good emotional dissonance.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  17. Exohedron

The one good thing about my cooking is that I can easily turn it into soup.

• Winner x 1
  18. Exohedron

When four people simultaneously realize that they don't know how to pronounce a particular word because they've never heard it said aloud.

19. Exohedron

Would you eat something marketed as a "low-carb" breakfast cereal?

20. Exohedron

As someone who has never attempted to make a musical instrument, I keep having to remind myself that the important quality of an object for determining pitch is the frequency, and not the wavelength. This is why string tension and material are important, because those determine the frequency of vibration, even if the length of the string doesn't change.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice