Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Current state of the lyrics: apparently the singer is in a toxic relationship with the listener. I didn't really intend this going in, but I guess this is what happens.

2. Exohedron

I guess I come across as fairly optimistic about machine learning, not because I think it's very good but because I have a low opinion of humans.
    On the other hand, I will happily bring up self-driving cars.

So I guess the stance is that machine learning could be very good, but unfortunately there are humans involved in the design, development, implementation and deployment.

3. Exohedron

It really is something when the Dashcon ballpit comes out looking better in comparison.

4. Exohedron

Every once in a while I read something that makes me think "the effect granted by the apple that got us kicked out of the Garden either has worn off or wasn't all that God made it out to be".

5. Exohedron

I love international cooperation (this is a complaint about timezones)

• Witnessed x 1
  6. Exohedron

Like a mirror test but the mirror has one of those Instagram filters that adds cat ears to everything.

7. Exohedron

I think I've finally escaped scenarios which I would look back on years (months, days, hours, minutes) afterward and think "wait, was she flirting with me?"
    Maybe.
    The fact that I couldn't tell for so long does not bode well for my current ability to tell.

8. Exohedron

I should start telling people that leaves turn red in fall for the same reason that the sky turns red at sunset.

9. Exohedron

Many years ago, I read Bram Stoker's Dracula because my mom was trying to get me to read the classics or whatever.
    I don't remember how it ends.
    Now, it's perfectly simple for me to procure a copy of Dracula and read it through to the end, or even just skip to the end.
    Alternatively, I could sign up for Dracula Daily and receive it over time, albeit somewhat out of order.
    Or, and this is what I'm doing, apparently, I can read people's reactions to Dracula Daily and try to piece together what's happening from that. Because why would I read someone's diary entries when I could read someone's diary entries about those diary entries?

Anyway, it looks like I'm not going to find out the end of Dracula before everyone else does, and even then I'm still going to have to do a little bit of figuring to determine how the book ends versus what the fandom reads into it.

10. Exohedron

One of the problems with these third party transformer toys is that while there are some consistent companies, there are some groups that relabel or sublabel for various reasons, and then there are independent engineers who just sell their designs to production companies, so it's a little hard to tell which labels are the ones you really like.

• Agree x 1
  11. Exohedron

No, see, it's a sandwich if and only if you're eating it with one hand while actively gambling with the other. It could be a poptart, or a taco, or a donut, or a fistful of crickets otherwise: if you're eating it with one hand and gambling with the other, it's a sandwich.

12. Exohedron

Less complaining about AI foom, more feeding GPT-3 results into Dall-E

13. Exohedron

In theory I have seen several episodes of the Teletubbies, because at camp one time one of the possible elective activities was to get locked in a theater and be forced to watch Teletubbies for an hour, and like any group of young, guileless preteens a lot of us thought that the camp counselors couldn't possibly be so cruel as to actually carry out the threatened activity, so we signed up thinking it was going to be some sort of joke.

I have no recollection of anything that happened in that theater beyond that they did in fact play the Teletubbies on the screen and they did in fact lock the doors.

14. Exohedron

When you have a doubly-exponential function and you have a off-by-one error in the input. Welp.
    Fortunately, the input was small enough that it wasn't too bad.

15. Exohedron

Classicist granted Fields Medal for discovering 5 new Greek letters.

16. Exohedron

Realizing, probably years after everybody else, that the word for the role of Frodo Baggins is assassin.

• Like x 2
  17. Exohedron

A little while ago I was talking to some friends about how we annotated contacts in our phones and I realized that, due to the naming scheme I was using at the time, during college my phone had three different people notated as "Kitty" and none of them were the person I knew named Cat, or any of the Katies, Catherines, etc. Also none of the three had "Kitty" or any variation thereof as a nickname, although if I had explained to any of them that they were listed as "Kitty" in my phone, they would have understood perfectly.

18. Exohedron

I'm glad that the "pizza place" near me has finally admitted that they're an Indian restaurant that sells pizza.

19. Exohedron

Black Adam was okay. Apparently better than most recent DC movies, but that's not a high bar to clear.
    I guess I'm just expecting better pacing from action movies. Bullet Train had great pacing, lingering on things long enough that you actually start to care about them. Black Adam, not so much. So many scenes where a single extra line of dialogue, even just a two second pause, could have made the impact a lot deeper.

20. Exohedron

The problem with all of my female friends getting married is that they change their last names and their new last names are never as interesting as their old ones. Why would you give up a last name with no vowels in it, or all five vowels in it, just to be yet another "Mrs. Smith"?
    Fuck the patriarchy.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice