Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I finally found the source of the chirality in twistor theory. It essentially boils down to them saying
    "We define the left-handed spinors to be the good spinors, and the right handed spinors to be the complement of the left-handed spinors.
    Theorem: the right-handed spinors suck"

2. Exohedron

My laptop keyboard has a set of number keys on the right side, arranged calculator style in case I don't like the number keys along the second row from the top. Because it has these number keys, it also has a numlock button, but because I don't use these extra number keys, all the numlock button does for me is to beep when I accidentally press it, letting me know that I've toggled numlock on or off. Note: at this point I've actually forgotten whether numlock is on or off, as there's no indicator anywhere and I'm not about to press any of the number keys to find out.

3. Exohedron

Current state of the lyrics: unhappy acolyte loses faith

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  4. Exohedron

You'd think after so many years I would be better at drinking water and not have it go down the wrong pipe so often.

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Exohedron

The fact that, after seeing the movie Cats, Lloyd Webber went and bought himself a dog, really says a lot. Whether it's about the movie or about Lloyd Webber I can't tell you.
    But it is the one fact about the movie Cats that makes me happiest.

6. Exohedron

It turns out that I don't actually know what the "verified" checkmark on Twitter indicates. Is it just the @whatever? That doesn't tell anybody anything unless they already know who @whatever is, at which point what is the point of being verified?

Anyway, I'm glad that Musk got forced to buy Twitter, in an accelerationist kind of way. Which makes me a little unhappy, since I don't like being an accelerationist. Despite my opinions on lying, I would rather be sincere in my preferences, and accelerationism is basically ideological irony. On the other hand, people getting what they say they want and being unhappy about it is also gratifying, in a "you should have tried being honest about it to begin with" kind of way.

7. Exohedron

Looking at a district-by-district breakdown of an election as an illustration of Simpson's paradox.

8. Exohedron

Nope, still not interested in musical virtuosity or innovation for its own sake. If I wanted fast and chaotic I'd plug an RNG into a DAW.

9. Exohedron

It says something that the disambiguation for Rhaenys Targaryen on Ao3 is not Rhaenys Targaryen (Daughter of Rhaegar) but instead Rhaenys Targaryen (Daughter of Elia).

10. Exohedron

For computer scientists, these people don't seem to know how to parallelize in real life. There are multiple identical food stations for a reason.

11. Exohedron

Finding out what words the Vocaloid just refuses to pronounce for some reason. Currently trying to get it to produce the vowel in "rest" and not just say "rrst".

12. Exohedron

Today's brain noise:

Some people jack off 'cause they're horny, some people because they are bored
    Some people do it for the money, and some people do it to piss off the Lord

13. Exohedron

And it's like, oh, in this AU they're girlfriends! But in the main universe they're fighting each other!
    And then it turns out that in the AU they're also fighting each other, it's just more subtle.

14. Exohedron

State of the lyrics: for some reason, FL Studio likes to crash when I try to edit the melody of verse 2. Not all the time, but sometimes, and only when changing the melody of verse 2. The reliable way to change the melody is to therefore change verse 1 and copy the notes for that onto the timeline for verse two and change the lyrics. The two verses are intended to have the same melody anyway, so this is fine.

15. Exohedron

Knocking out the requirements for visits to my parents faster than normal:

Almost dying doing home improvement work: check
    Yelling at my dad: check

Next up is probably trying to throw out all of the Tupperware.

16. Exohedron

A variant of the Khazad-dum situation wherein the hobbits farm too hard, plant too deep, and in their gluttony awaken a balrog.

17. Exohedron

And once again: bets on the fate of the Gavlebocken (Yule Goat)?

18. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

It survived last year, right? I think it'll burn this year.

19. Exohedron

It turns out that my habit of changing chords in the middle of bars and also having multiple layers of countermelodies is becoming a bit unwieldy, because one part wants to change chords in a spot but another part very much doesn't want to because it has a sustained note that doesn't end for another beat and a half. And I guess this would be fine if I were into jazzier chords but I'm very much not.

20. Exohedron

Well, it's not Goncharov, but BPII was pretty good.

I'm a little conflicted about the last scene with Namor, mostly because I like that it was in there but I don't like it's placement, timewise. It sort of makes the last few minutes of the movie a little off-kilter. Before the mid-credit scene happened I thought that it would have made a good mid-credit scene, but I did like the actual mid-credit scene a lot, and placing the last Namor scene after the credits would, I think, have been too much of a stretch; leading up to the last Namor scene I kept wondering if they were going to have one more scene with him to wrap up his story arc, and waiting for after the credits would have been far too away for that. But as it is it definitely disrupts the tone of the rest of the movie.

"Wait, Exo," you say, "are you really complaining that an MCU movie is tonally incoherent? Are you actually surprised?"

And I guess I shouldn't be. But the rest of the movie was competent enough, modulo my usual complaints about scenes cutting away a beat before they ought to, that it stood out.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice