Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

The irony of someone in the comments of a fic by an author writing under a internet pseudonym recommending the work of the author's meatspace work.

Huh. That sentence definitely needs parentheses.

2. Exohedron

Demonstrating to myself that I can still do linear algebra over the real numbers on occasion.

3. Exohedron

New idea for if I ever open up my tumblr: make the pinned post say "If you ever see any quote attributed to me that isn't cryptographically signed with my public key, even if it appears to be just a reblog, it could easily have been manipulated or just made up entirely. Please be cautious!"

4. Exohedron

The problem is that even when they're wearing headphones, a lot of people listen to music loud enough that I can hear it through their headphones. I mean, it's definitely better than them not wearing headphones, but.

5. Exohedron

Reminded of a couple of characters I came up with in my teens:

Two people each able to turn into a magical weapon. He turns into a big, shining sword, something that would normally be like a two-handed greatsword or something but I was a weeb at the time so she gets to wield him one-handed.

She turns into a grody-looking machine gun.

This would have also worked for Transformers.

• Like x 2
  6. Exohedron

State of the lyrics: I think I can get the Vocaloid engine to do a pretty good despair, but I haven't figured out anything with more heat, no anger or disdain yet.

EDIT: I think I might have figured out bitter. And I've gotten a bit of disdain. Contempt maybe. Still haven't gotten to hot anger, yet. I think it might just be that the voice pack I have is a cute Japanese pop idol, and there's only so much that post-processing can do.

EDIT 2: After some thought, the switching between distorted pop-punk and clean, cutesy idol comes off as really sarcastic mockery, which isn't what I was going for but kind of works.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  7. Exohedron

The goat survived

8. Exohedron

The arguments that LLMs will be AGIs because they will be able to mimic all of human writing remind me of the arguments that humans have to be doing (nontrivial) quantum computation in order to think because we can compute things that aren't computable by classical computation. In that, as an argument about how something works based on its capabilities, it doesn't sound obvious or even true to me that the thing has or will have those capabilities.

Also hilarious: if an LLM can in fact be a human-level intelligence, that means that human intelligence can be modelled classically, which breaks the argument that it must be quantum.

9. Exohedron

The way that intuitionist (ML) type theory deals with constructiveness is that it doesn't guarantee that all elements of a type are the ones you expect, or are equal or identifiable with the ones you expect, it just doesn't allow you to do anything with them. So for instance, the one-element type 1 has a single constructor, *: 1, and says that you can define functions out of 1 by saying where * goes to, but doesn't say anything at all about any other possible elements of 1. There might be other elements, but you can't construct them, and you can't specify the results of applying functions on them. Given that propositions about elements of a type in type theory are just functions from the type to the type of propositions, this means that you can't even talk about the non-* elements of 1. So they might as well not exist.

10. Exohedron

Movie where the only non-diegetic element is the lighting

• Like x 1
  11. Exohedron

When the textbook you're reading has not one but two type errors in quick succession: one in the declaration of a function, the second in the specification of the function. They're not hard to figure out, given that they leave off different parts of the domain, but it's really irritating, especially in a book on type theory of all things.

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Exohedron

On the unwritten sci-fi story: I'm having way too much fun with the computing substrate of one of the main worlds. The hyperconnectedness and the layers and layers of recursion allow for all sorts of fun pseudo-entities, like the left-over social media accounts of dead people, still actively posting through heuristic predictions of the underlying user's behavior. These heuristics are fed by interactions with other entities, so that the account doesn't become inactive until all other entities decide to leave it alone.

In other words, "A man’s not dead while his name is still spoken”

Although eventually the heuristics drift away from being recognizably the original user, as the only reinforcements come from other entities who may or may not have known them well enough.

13. Exohedron

Okay, the fight for the position of Speaker of the House is funnier than I thought it would be.

14. Exohedron

I keep wanting to make algebraic geometry jokes at the people having trouble with the room projector.

15. Exohedron

Epistemological hierarchy:

P: Popular wisdom: fact can be found without extensive background knowledge

NP: Nondeterministic popular wisdom: fact can't necessarily be found easily, but can be verified without extensive background knowledge

EXP: Requires an expert

16. Exohedron

When you read someone's blog and you can sort of figure out how their voice sounds, the pitch and contour and flow, from how they describe themselves, but then you hear them actually speak and it turns out you got their accent completely wrong.

17. Exohedron

Little indie musician who makes it big pulling himself up by his guitar strap.

18. Exohedron

Elle Woods goes to MIT instead of Harvard: What, like it's NP-hard?

• Witnessed x 1
  19. Exohedron

Look, if you're going to do a LOTR/Star Wars crossover, at some point you have to have someone say "this is no mine; it's a space station"

20. Exohedron

I guess the main thing about the latest episode of Witch From Mercury is that people were disturbed by how visceral it was? Usually in Gundam when the protagonist blows up a hospital full of orphans they're doing it from a distance with a blaster.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice