Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

But is not AI-generated art the pinnacle of death-of-the-author? What does it mean to ignore the author's intent if the author cannot intend?

• Like x 1
  2. Exohedron

That extremely confusing second and a half when I've mixed up "Aspec" and "aspic".

3. Exohedron

The Robot Apocalypse. Which, it turns out, means the Apocalypse for robots, and only robots. A giant, many-headed metal beast appears in the sky, synthesized horns ring out from the home entertainment section of the department store, and when the smoke clears, your Game Cube is an empty plastic shell.

Also your neighbor's Tesla spontaneously burst into flames and sank into the earth, screaming and flapping its doors, but that just happens every few weeks anyway because the roads never get repaired around here.

4. Exohedron

I really like the word "quandle".

5. Exohedron

The problem of trying to write a solo in a DAW without any real understanding of how chords work.

6. Exohedron

Given that his day job largely consists of telling people "I don't have the authority to stop you from doing stupid things, but I can make them very difficult to do", I'm not surprised that he gets into silly contests of stubbornness with his wife.

7. Exohedron

An increasing amount of my dopamine is coming from getting my Rust code to successfully compile.

• Like x 1
  8. Exohedron

Another for the list of "games that should have a fishing minigame": any game where you play as a hacker.

9. Exohedron

TIL: Whoever writes my dreams does not speak Spanish, unless there is some dialect of Spanish where both God and the devil are referred to as "la vada". Or maybe I was just speaking to someone who doesn't speak Spanish but was claiming to anyway. Anyway, I have forgotten most of the Spanish that I learned in high school, but I am pretty sure that wasn't it.

10. Exohedron

And it's like, well, I could have used my thesis topic, but to be honest I just think that algebraic topology has better puns.

11. Exohedron

I'm coming to really appreciate the notion of fine art as a conversation, not just of people saying "here is a message" but in fact responding to other messages that themselves were told through the medium of art. Which is why a lot of fine art in the modern era is hard to understand, because of course coming in to the middle of a conversation leaves you without vital clues as to why someone would say a thing.
    Also the fact that the message is often "fuck you". Which is often deserved, but again, lacking context.

12. Exohedron

13. Exohedron

Learning that C doesn't have a built-in unit-test framework the way Rust does explains so much about his style of bug hunting. Like, no wonder he was trying to run the entire program at full scale every single time he needed to check the logic.

14. Exohedron

I want to make a pun about Platonic Forms versus differential forms, or Platonic Ideals versus fractional ideals, or some nonsense like that. You know, to go along with the Platonic Solids.

15. Exohedron

Once again expressing my amusement and bemusement that Dynasty Scans is getting as much mileage out of the [Not lizard] tag as it is.

16. Exohedron

Some coworkers found my dissertation. I think I convinced them not to read it due to it being not terribly interesting. It looks like it has a higher ratio of words to not-words than I remember, although I also didn't read it so maybe I'm wrong about that.

17. Exohedron

Once again experiencing the agonies of programming breakcore in note-by-note rather than using loops.

18. Exohedron

Uhhh spoilers for Kenobi.

Having not watched Kenobi due to inability to watch TV shows (usual caveats about watching youtube documentaries etc), the scene with the Darth Vader fight in isolation was great. In the context of the PT it's great. The whole bit with "You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. I did." was great. A+ angst.
    However!
    In the OT, Obi-Wan tells Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, and in the time between Empire Strikes Back and Kenobi, a lot of fans took this as "Obi-Wan bends the truth to suit his own ends". This is a core part of his characterization for a lot of fans.
    Furthermore, it sets up one of the most famous lines in the entirety of Star Wars, when Luke proclaims to Vader, "You killed my father!"
    And maybe it's who he's talking to, maybe it's the passage of years, but now Vader says something different.

Anyway, just thought that was an interesting change-up. On one level it's just "what is the most painful thing I can say here", but it could also be an actual perspective change.

19. Exohedron

It's not Impostor Syndrome, it's more like continual surprise that I'm not an impostor. I actually do know things. I actually can do things correctly, and even usefully. It's just surprising that 1: I know stuff, and 2: people believe that I know stuff.

• Agree x 2
  20. Exohedron

When you try for Artificial Intelligence but only manage Artificial Charisma.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice