Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

But yeah, I would totally be vulnerable to a Cat of Amontillado situation.

• Winner x 1
  2. Exohedron

I'm not sure I've ever seen the trope of "absurdly sharp sword" combined with "thing spontaneously explodes despite not being explosive".
    Like, imagine the scenario where the hero is holding a sword out, edge upward, a leaf falls on edge and splits in two...and then both halves explode.
    Or the lightning-fast unsheath-strike-resheath where it looks like you just flicked the sword out an inch, and then several seconds later (thanks Kurosawa!) your opponent is expected to start gushing blood, or for his top half to slide off of his bottom half, but instead he just explodes.

Like, Tokusatsu levels of extraneous explosions, but with samurai. Yeah, I think the answer is that I don't watch enough Tokusatsu stuff.

• Like x 1
  3. Exohedron

I kind of wish Kubo hadn't actually revealed Unohana's past identity. Like, the polite lady who everyone is inexplicably terrified of is a trope, as is the scary medic, but I think Kubo should have leaned into it more, and just kept it a mystery. Like, when Unohana needs to kill someone, she just goes into a room with them, closes the door, and then later just comes out looking perfectly composed, and all that remains in the room is a cross-shaped bloodstain on the floor. And similarly, when she needs to train Zaraki, she just goes into the training chamber with him, and later he emerges, looking completely shell-shocked, and proceeds to absolutely ruin some Quincies, still looking shell-shocked the entirely time.

4. Exohedron

Haven't quite mastered the art of ducking out of one meeting to go to a different meeting.

5. Exohedron

Out of everything that has come out of the Rationalist project and its various spin-offs, the thing I like the most is the phrase "carve reality at the joints". It's a good phrase! It asks that your categories divide things up in a way that adds clarity by separating things that are actually different while still grouping together things that are not qualitatively distinct.

I'm just not convinced that it applies to anything, because I'm not convinced that reality is accessible enough for anyone to locate the joints. The idea of (categories that carve at the joints) versus (categories that do not carve at the joints) does itself not carve at the joints.

6. Exohedron

But it was the surprise that really made the experience, of biting into what looked like an oatmeal cookie to instead find that it was lemon-flavored. There was absolutely no visual indication that it was lemon.

It's just not the same if you're warned beforehand.

7. Exohedron

Thinking about Zeno's paradox again, the one where he subdivides a movement in half, and then the first half of that in half, and the etc. And the common stated resolution these days is that in the limit you do get a full movement if you sum them all together.
    But there's another aspect to the paradox, which is that before each submovement has to come another submovement, and so you can't determine the first submovement. And the resolution of that is not about summation. It's about ordering. Not all orders are well-orders! There doesn't have to be a first movement!

8. Exohedron

Well, that's certainly an...interesting, let's say, move by Unity Technologies.

• Agree x 2
  9. Exohedron

So it turns out that I don't really mind accidentally smearing jalapeno juice around (but not on! Important distinction!) my eye, as it is more of a weird buzzing itch than actual pain, but I worry that it will make falling asleep more difficult.

10. Exohedron

Spending two hours fixing the intern's code because he was using all the wrong formulas and ending up with almost the exact same numbers anyway.

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Exohedron

I'd be more interested in the fact that the pov character of my dreams is noticeably less aro/ace than I am if it cropped up more than once every five years.
    The fact that I, in my dreams, realize that the pov character is not me is significantly more interesting and also more frequently relevant.

12. Exohedron

As a scientist, a mathematician, an academic at heart, I actually would love to find out. Finding out is almost the name of the game. It's just that I haven't the time nor the resources to fuck around.

13. Exohedron

Item: single-use magical girl transformation wand, still sealed in its original packaging.

14. Exohedron

• Winner x 2
  15. Exohedron

Haunted by the absence of ghosts

16. Exohedron

New tumblr defense idea if I ever open up my tumblr: occasionally refer to a callout post (for me) and whenever someone complains, claim that the complaint (regardless of how ludicrous) is already in the callout post and therefore can be considered dealt with (compare with tech support tickets).
    Note: even if someone actually makes a callout post, continue doing this anyway. In fact, complain that the actual callout post is glaringly incomplete and so should be ignored.

• Like x 2
  17. Exohedron

On the one hand I almost feel bad that it looked like I was making excuses to those missionaries because I didn't want to listen to their Jesus spiel, but on the other hand I did actually need to leave to pick up dinner, and I didn't want to listen to their Jesus spiel.

18. Exohedron

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  19. Exohedron

And now I can get to AO3 on Chrome and via my home's wifi again. Guess Cloudflare must have decided that I'm no longer part of the DDOS attack anymore.

• Like x 1
  20. Exohedron

One problem with this track is that I'm trying to write it from the perspective of this one character in this one moment of time that isn't even really shown in the fic. We see her arguing that she should be allowed to jump, and then the next chapter we see her after the rescue. Also a lot of her personality establishment previous is as a reaction to people who are very, very different to the one the song is addressed to, and so it comes off as overcompensating in the other direction. Also I'm getting spill-over from another character who I really, really like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice