Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I wonder how my Christian friends feel about my making jokes about me spontaneously catching fire if I ever entered a church.

2. Exohedron

I really kind of hate the python tab-as-syntax thing, because the fact that most text editors don't visually distinguish between a tab and a bunch of spaces means that I keep getting "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces" errors for no good reason.

• Like x 1
  3. Exohedron

On occasion I try to think of ways to avoid discourse, anon hate, etc. when posting on tumblr, and I keep having to remind myself that the bestmethod is to not post on tumblr. I think what I really want is not so much to have a tumblr but to perform an experiment to determine how much of my beliefs I can actually honestly explicate on tumblr before getting a callout post claiming to have receipts proving me a transphobe or whatever the smear of choice is these days.

4. Exohedron

For some reason I find predictive text Yelp reviews so much funnier than most types of predictive text things. Maybe because the context frames them as supposed to be informing the reader about the quality of a thing?
    Or maybe it's just that the Yelp corpus is so full of nonsense to begin with.
    This Yelp review of the Catacombs of Paris manages that sort of understated horror that makes it feel like some of the writing-prompt-s style stuff that the filler has taken in a direction that wps didn't intend, but also with the underlying sense of "maybe don't take a first date here".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    • Winner x 1
  5. Exohedron

I think that I maybe got trolled by a coworker today, in that he was arguing for what I considered a patently ridiculous just-so story (about math, of course) and kept repeating that he wasn't making a strong claim and maybe doing a bit of motte-and-bailey type dancing while insisting that I was being uncharitable by not being willing to entertain his fake history.
    And I could have been "that doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about math history to dispute it" but I wasn't about to let that kind of thing slide for a number of reasons, few of which were really historical but damned if I don't have the math part down cold. I'm not about to let someone spew the typographical analogue of numerology at me about a topic that I got my PhD in.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how sincere he was being. I think he was being mostly sincere but I don't know if I know him well enough to say for certain. This sort of ties back into my confusion about saying things that are false without clear understanding that both speaker and listener know that the thing is false.

For the curious, he was claiming that Dyknin diagrams were loosely inspired by molecule diagrams because some of the Coxeter groups are some of the crystallographic groups. Nah, son, we go from Platonic solids to n-dimensional polytopes, Schlafli-style, and then get Coxeter-Dynkin diagrams out of that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  6. Exohedron

Thinking about how most Dark Souls bosses are either a dude about your size, a dude bigger than you, or some sort of giant monster. Like, you have to fight one horse-sized duck. But they never really gave you the opportunity to have a boss fight that's really just a hundred duck-sized horses. I mean, there's the Royal Rat Vanguard, I guess, and there are sometimes dogs to harry you while you try to fight a giant monster, but like, no, this boss is just a million evil chickens. Hope you can hit downwards.

I suppose that might not actually be all that fun.

7. Exohedron

8. Exohedron

It seems that most people who get their wisdom teeth out are given the Good Drugs and promptly become some sort of significantly intoxicated for the rest of the day. From what I recall of my experience, I must have been given a very, very local anesthetic because I managed to walk a mile and a half home (it was basically a straight shot for most of that, but still) and around the gauze stuffed in my mouth didn't say anything more ridiculous than my usual nonsense.
    Yet another cultural touchstone that passed me by.

9. Exohedron

It's too bad that the phrase "you're my boss so I can't actually call you an idiot without consequences, but" doesn't have quite the effect we often want it to.

10. Exohedron

I think my main problem with the new Cats designs is not the faces per se, but rather that the skinny ones are bland, too flat and plain and featureless. The faces similarly would be better if the whiskers were more prominent, and rounder cheeks.
    It's the human equivalent of monochrome tube socks.

11. Exohedron

A few hours ago I said the words "I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just arguing" and I think I meant them.

12. Exohedron

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  13. Exohedron

If you sell your soul to the devil does he also get your soulmate? Is he just covered in other people's soulmarks?

14. Exohedron

Whatever plot shenanigans/character design features lead to the ship name "No Parking"

15. Exohedron

Is that a wocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

16. Exohedron

I tried to explain ultrafinitism to a colleague today. Except he's more of an engineer than a mathematician philosophically, so he didn't really appreciate the idea. Not that I was trying too hard to sell it.

17. Exohedron

L. P. Hovercraft

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  18. Exohedron

Passwords are stored in the plaintext

19. Exohedron

The fact that words don't inherently have meaning is nice and all but it often leads to things like people thinking that they understand each other when really they're merely saying the same words.

And unfortunately most of the time the only remedy for these kinds of situations is more words.

In other news, I just wrote a ranting, stuff-in-caps email to my dad because despite me spending like an hour and a half last night trying to explain a point to him about two things being qualitatively different, he completely missed the point and somehow came to the conclusion that I just didn't like the terminology he was using.
    Personally, I blame myself for making the rookie mistake of trying to communicate.

20. Exohedron

For sale: baby shoes. On Craigslist.

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice