Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

It is really funny how adults can be motivated by offering them a sticker if they complete a task. Because yeah, it's not about having a sticker (adults can often buy their own stickers), it's about earning a sticker.
    But it's also stickers in particular, somehow; not all rewards seem to work that way.

• Agree x 2
  2. Exohedron

As much as I don't like SpaceX, mostly due to Musk, I also don't like Boeing, mostly due to bad airplanes, and now apparently bad spaceships.
    And normally I'd be all "competition helps ensure that products are either good or cheap" and therefore would be unhappy if one of the two companies that make crewed launch vehicles dropped out, given that that company is Boeing maybe the competition isn't doing much.

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/...ck-on-crew-dragon/?comments=1&comments-page=1

3. Exohedron

I think one thing we are learning from this is that I probably shouldn't write pseudocode until I am more used to translating things out of dependent type theory into things more akin to usual programming languages.
    Or maybe I should just really go all in with it. Don't need to Require anything if it's built into the type system, right?

4. Exohedron

My fingers sting, which is to be expected after chopping up habeneros for dinner. Except I did the chopping yesterday and my fingers didn't start stinging until about 20 minutes ago.

5. Exohedron

larsenic (larcenic?)

6. Exohedron

When you know someone you work with is a big Legend of Zelda fan and you're just so, so tempted to offer him a banana.

• Witnessed x 1
  7. Exohedron

Today on: Making up a Guy to [deliberately withhold explanations from because every explanation is a temptation to figure out a Better Way to Do This except if you don't do the thing exactly as specified in this document then everybody gets in trouble so please just follow the instructions without asking questions, as if you were getting paid less than half your current salary and didn't have 20 years of experience doing this Better, we all know you're super clever and better at implementing these things but please it's so much paperwork if you deviate even slightly from what's written down please please please]

In other news, still not in the business of giving away free rope.

[EDIT]: I take it back, you're an idiot and I don't expect you to be able to follow simple instructions even if you aren't trying to be clever about it. What the fuck. Maybe we should just replace you all with ChatGPT.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  8. Exohedron

Coming to the somewhat ironic realization that I am not entirely sure that my parsing of the word "intuition" matches the common usage.

9. Exohedron

Momentarily confusing Sting's Message in a Bottle with Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle

• Like x 1
  10. Exohedron

More like pass burger, amirite?

11. Exohedron

There are those "human bodies are too well-functioning to not have been intelligently designed" claims, and then the counterarguments that are just listing all the ways that the human body sucks. But maybe it's just that God has low standards, and that the bar set for things that weren't intelligently designed wasn't particularly high. Yeah, maybe He could have fixed a few last things before publishing, but it's not like there was any reason to. I mean, it's not like there was anyone doing it any better at the time.

12. Exohedron

The mean version of quantum measurement where, once you measure an observable, the system acts like it actually had a different value.

13. Exohedron

The "can therefore should therefore have to" treadmill.

14. Exohedron

But yeah, the more I think about it, the fact that IPv4 addresses are only 32 bits long is a little absurd. 32 bits is so small these days.

On the other hand, IPv6 addresses at 128 bits kind of feels a little absurd in the other direction? But maybe humanity will look back and similarly think that it was absurd to think that all of the internet would fit in 128 bit addresses.

15. Exohedron

I need to stop reading my dad's emails about artificial intelligence before I start responding to them with "natural intelligence has never been observed".

16. Exohedron

I know the term "kangaroo court" is supposed to be derogatory, but I'd actually expect kangaroos to be pretty decent at basketball? Except for all the fouling. Maybe that's the problem.

• Like x 1
  17. Exohedron

I still don't understand how I can be so resistant to chili peppers but so weak to raw onions.

18. Exohedron

Today I had to use the phrase "not bad" literally, distinct from "good".

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice