Predominantly Erroneous (Exohedron nonsense blog)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Exohedron, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

When I'm tired and reading a math text, I'll start zoning out, which takes the form of me not actually reading but instead my mind trying to perform predictive text completion. I've read enough math that this almost yields something coherent for a while, but then the fact that the predictor is largely trained on fanfiction starts interfering.

2. Exohedron

Spent most of today worried that I'd drawn a dot on my nose with a whiteboard marker.

3. Exohedron

Consider the statement S: "You are reading a false statement", which, in the moment that you are reading it, is self-contradicting; if S is true, then you are reading a statement that is true, but then you are not reading a false statement, and therefore S is false. But if S is false, then you are reading a statement that is false, and so you are reading a false statement, and therefore S is true.

When you are reading a different statement, then the veracity of S depends on the veracity of the statement that you are reading.

4. Exohedron

Which branch of mathematics will be the first to try to name a technical concept "noblesse oblige"?

5. Exohedron

A princess trapped at the top of a Postnikov tower.

6. Exohedron

Today I got two people to start an argument about whether the wording of the Nicene Creed that Jesus came back from the dead actually means that Jesus came back to life.

7. Exohedron

I kind of want to make a predictive text generator for myself, just to see what it comes up with.

8. Exohedron

A Venn diagram, with one side labeled "diagrams involving circles", the other side labeled "diagrams indicating subsets", and the middle labeled "pie charts".

9. Exohedron

I'm coming to realize that the Half-A-Press guy's "But first we have to talk about parallel universes" is just how mathematics papers tend to go. "Statement of main theorem. Lemma 1: Something apparently completely unrelated to the main theorem. Lemma 2: Something apparently unrelated to both the main theorem and lemma 1. Lemma 3: An obscure fact about the number 37. Lemma 4: The Pigeonhole Principle as applied to sinks. Proof of main theorem: Lemma 1, lemma 2, lemma 3, lemma 4, QED."

Video for context:

10. Exohedron

In the cyborg future, you'll have to be careful about sex with people you don't fully trust, because they may be using the opportunity to run sidechannel attacks on your crypto implants.

11. Exohedron

Bloodlust
    Bloodgreed
    Bloodgluttony
    Bloodsloth
    Bloodwrath
    Bloodenvy
    Bloodpride

12. Exohedron

I think my experience with neural networks is roughly "I can tell you why it's running faster than it used to, but I can't really tell you why it's producing anything useful." To be a bit more precise, I think I understand that what I was doing was more accurate than linear regression, but I couldn't tell why or even in what sense exactly other than the Goodhartian one.

13. Exohedron

14. Exohedron

Today I learned some things about bonfires, particularly with regards to cooking things on them.

15. Exohedron

I'm not entirely awful at doing non-technical work, but it gives me the jibblies. I guess it's good that I consider documentation to be technical work.
    But yeah, anything that requires scheduling or paperwork. Nope.

16. Exohedron

I always start cooking rice too late.

17. Exohedron

There is very little about the politics and sociology of interpersonal manifestations of identity that doesn't irritate me. I realize that it is important to people, for reasons that don't resonate with me either intellectually or emotionally, but given that it affects much about how people treat each other, its secondary effects are important.
    And unfortunately that extends to the labels used, which combined with my usual disdain for the vagaries and follies of words as a form of communication, only serves to irritate me further. And yet, again, it is important to people, and it affects how people treat each other.

And so I have to do my best to both observe people burning up their time and energy and compassion on things that I can't assign intrinsic positive value to, like fighting over diamonds, and yet refrain from saying how pointless I find the whole debacle, because those diamonds can be sold to purchase things I do find worthwhile to fight for.

18. Exohedron

It's a good thing I don't have many Stevens that I talk vocally to very often because I've suddenly gotten a compulsion to pronounce their name as "Saint Even".

19. Exohedron

I'm going to make my password a dozen asterisks.

20. Exohedron

I realized yesterday at work that if I'm concentrating on something, I sometimes start to gently chew on my tongue with my incisors. This requires me sticking my tongue out far enough that my teeth can get to it, which in turn means that the tip sticks out of my mouth.
    So I guess I have to add "blep" to my list of cat-like habits that I have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice