Princess Tutu, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by witchknights, May 23, 2015.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Well, since there's a thread for Free!...

Has anyone watched it? it's tied with fullmetal alchemist and digimon adventure as my favorite anime ever of all time, but not many people know about it. it is the sort of deal people here could like, however, so it doesn't hurt asking!!

Ahiru is my precious cinnamon roll child, too good for this world.

2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Been meaning to watch it for a while.
    Especially since I've heard it's kinda Utena Junior.

3. witchknights

it is AMAZING, especially if you're into ballet and fairytales. Some people find it very weird at the beginning. I've never seen Utena so I can't comment, but the two seasons make a very, very sweet story with a powerful message.

4. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

It is VERY much Utena Junior, but not like "oh, it's less intellectual then Utena." It have less overty sexual themes and it is more...comprehensible upon first viewing, but it is still an extremely powerful coming of age story take on the magical girl genre with themes of fairytale deconstruction, which is where I am pretty sure most people are drawing the comparison. Also, both series have great music.

• Like x 2
  5. witchknights

no kidding. Ballet top 40 aside, the opening always makes me feel sort of fuzzy inside.

6. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

My boyfriend and I are currently teetering on the edge of season two and need to find time to tumble down through it. It's been a while!

• Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Princess Tutu is the only anime I've bought the boxset for... I love it. All of the main four characters have story arcs, growing out of misconceptions and into their ability to choose (for good or ill). And dang, I can see the comparison to Utena... Albeit a more comprehensive and less sexual one.

A manipulative asshole finds a lonely pink girl and offers her a dream of a prince, and the chance to save someone.
    She becomes a magical girl to fight for that someone, who is secretly the original magical hero whose powers have been misplaced, and over the course of the story she helps reawaken their heart.
    The usual antagonists are people manipulated into it by the asshole, out of love of family or fear of something happening to one they love... They have arcs through which they experience the terrible delight of wielding power, and the hollow ashes when it doesn't fulfill them.
    It all takes place in a somewhat fictional bubbleworld thanks again to the asshole and the original magical hero's powers.
    There is a lot of artistic influence from the dance/fighting style.
    There is an episode where the character who starts as an arrogant antagonist--- and eventually becomes an ally--- is transformed into something bizarre.
    The original hero attacks the magical girl protagonist at least once in the ending arc. There are a lot of tragic swords in the end.
    Some people live on in the fantasy world, some people go into the real world.
    The asshole does not learn to not be an asshole.
    I hope you like color schemes of pink and purple.

And tbh, through the show there are parts where I ship any of the main four... Pairings or otherwise :3

8. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

PRINCESS TUTU IS SO GOOD. In fact it had a direct influence on my fantroll Iridie! As can probably be gleaned from her hair in the icon.

Also, consider: Sedoretu AU. Fakir and Rue are Evening, Mytho and Ahiru are Morning.

• Like x 3
  9. Invaderbuggums

Invaderbuggums New Member

I have re-watched princess tutu 5 times. It is so good, I love the art style, the characters, and the story arc.

• Like x 1
  10. Rafi

Rafi x-men is gay and i can prove it: a thesis

I loooove Princess Tutu. Such a fun beautiful anime. I tore right through the whole thing last year. Fakir was an interesting evolution for me, since I hated him so much to start with and came out of the thing ADORING him.

• Like x 2
  11. KarrinBlue

Yeah Fakir starts as a total asshole. Which makes it all the better when he turns into a nice dork!

I'm pretty sure his reactions to Ahiru's duckness are one of the best parts of the anime.

• Like x 2
  12. Rafi

I honestly can't handle the fact that he's so comfortable with the fact that his friend is a duck that saw him cry once.

13. witchknights

Duck/fakir (lovingly called Team Fuck by the Mark Does Stuff crowd) is one of my major otps, nonstop shipping kind of pairing, and half of it is how unbothered he is with her general... Duckness. And the ending. And that part with the hand stabbing.

I've cried so much over this ship.........

• Agree x 1
  14. KarrinBlue

Well, you know he basically falls over the first time he puts together that Ahiru is the same duck that saw him express an emotion once. After that I guess he just gets used to it. BECAUSE WHY NOT.

• Like x 2
  15. KarrinBlue

Ooh, a livestream would be great!

Oh hey, by the way. The other day I saw a Princess Tutu AMV that had a seen where duck-Ahiru is by the lake and sees Rue, Fakir, and Mytho all dancing on the water. But I can't for the life of me remember when that happened in the anime! Any ideas?

16. Rafi

Oh man, a live stream would be awesome.

And I LOVE THAT SHIP YES. I just want them to KISS. He's so good with her...

17. KarrinBlue

The Romeo and Juliet pas de deux? I agree entirely.

18. Invaderbuggums

More fanfic would be amazing. I love that scene too, although I kind of love and appreciate every dance so I might not be a fair judge. On the shipping end, well, OT4!

19. witchknights

a live stream would be awesome!! I'd set up something but my notebook got fried, sadly. ): but itd be awesome to watch it with everyone (and maybe hook some new people in, hohohoho)

About the pas de deux in the lake: I spent that entire scene doing a high pitched distress noise. My interests are vaguely in the direction of ballet (i did like three years when i was a kid, my dance school did a couple productions of Coppélia, nothing big) and ive always loved that piece, so seeing my otp doing that pas de deux was too much for my poor sensibilities.

i want to write so much fanfic, but everything i can come up with is sad and bitter ):

20. Invaderbuggums

Yeah, it seems really hard to keep the angst out. At one point I was thinking of doing a crossover with Ranma 1/2 so that Duck could be human again, but it was still going to be sad, and I'm not any good at sticking to non-art projects. The best thing I can think of is to do a sadfic but end happily somehow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice