Proposed new term: Negs

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Starcrossedsky, Feb 24, 2015.

1. NonesuchSoul

NonesuchSoul New Member

Yeah, but then we just turn around and bastardize/anglicise it until it makes sense. Silly german and its obsession with compounding words.

2. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

If those word posts floating around tumblr have any truth to them, Japanese also has interesting phrases for things. xD
    We could look at invented languages too!
    Láadan has a word for " a non-holiday; a time allegedly a holiday but actually so much a burden because of work and preparations that it is a dreaded occasion especially when there are too many guests and none of them help." Which, I don't know about you, but I definitely need that word in my vocabulary. =P (It's radíidin if anyone is curious. The accents are for tones, Wikipedia tells me.)

(Don't mind me, I'm taking Invented Languages, and one of the required readings is like a history of conlanging and it talks about a bunch of different languages...)

• Like x 1
  3. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Tell me everything. I must know the entire history of conlanging. Where do I find this book. Please

• Like x 1
  4. Re Allyssa

Ehehehehe
    It's called "In the Land of Invented Languages" by Arika Okrent. It's a really fun read so far, not dry or anything (though how one could be dry and remain impartial when talking about Blissymbolics is beyond me).
    So! It starts back in like the 1600s with John Wilkins and his attempt to classify the entire world into 40 categories and make a language that got to the Truth of things. This went about as well as you can imagine.
    It also talks about Esperanto, Blissymbolics, Láadan, Loglan/Lojban, and Klingon specifically, but it mentions a bunch of others too!
    (If we want to talk more, we should probably move to the languages thread)

• Like x 3
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i like 'nope', don't like any of the startle words because these are never startles for me. i mean the things that upset me are not startling things. well, ok, a ringing phone that sounds like a 1980's wall phone gives me both startle AND ongoing bummer, but in general it's more stuff like tales of underground unpleasantness setting off my claustrophobia. nothing sudden about it, just... whee, now i'm in for an afternoon of intrusive thoughts about suffocation, that's gonna be great. :/

a phrase i've been using for years, that i got from luka, is 'huhs'. as in, "i blacklisted the name of the town with the mine cave-in because hearing about it gave me the huhs."

it's kinda the sound you make when you shudder at thoughts you don't want. like, "huuuh."

• Like x 3
  6. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

Negs reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  7. Re Allyssa

(guys friend me on neopets doooo itttt. Also if you're unaware, daily faerie quests are a thing again)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice