r/fatlogic derail

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Athol Magarac, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

They are irrelevant to you. They are not irrelevant to us.

• Agree x 8
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

(to minimize confusion for bystanders, the backstory is that this morning I woke up to approve a post from greallan yelling at me in the void. you're not missing context from the public forum, she's referencing void events)

• Informative x 11
  3. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

hey here's a novel concept
    if you only ever plan to give advice to people who have asked for it on forums, maybe don't bring coworkers into the subject bc they do not at all fit that category

• Agree x 13
  4. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

Unless they asked for your input, that’s absolutely still not a license for you to give your layman’s opinion on their health and eating hanits.

• Agree x 11
  5. Gyro Zeppeli

Like legit even if you had the necessary training and information to dish out diet and nutritional advice, it would still be wildly unethical to try and foist it on people who haven’t explicitly requested it.

• Agree x 6
  6. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Mostly, not only ever. But you know what, I'm such a garbage person that I'm not likely to make friends with anyone ever again, not even in the support group.

In this context, it's reinforcing that I can't say anything when someone is driving me up the wall.

7. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

i too hate it when i go outside and i see other people doing things i don't personally approve of without ANY REGARD FOR MY FEELINGS

• Winner x 13
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

This disregards all the other possible responses. It's not an either/or, not sit there and take it vs critique their diet, no other options. Try, 'are you asking for diet advice or just venting?' Or maybe, 'i like talking with you, but would you mind if the conversation moved on to something else?' And if this is online, you always have the option of tabbing over to a different window and different distraction instead of sticking with just this one that bothers you.

• Agree x 10
    • Useful x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

if someone talking about their eating habits to you bothers you, tell them that you don't want to talk to them about food with them. you don't have to lecture them on why you think their eating habits are wrong.

• Agree x 7
  10. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

Stop doing this.

You can say that they are driving you up the wall, and that you will not continue to listen to them talk about it.

• Agree x 10
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

What? No. You don't get to give an example, then get mad when we respond to that example. You didn't say anything about people in diet forums, you said a coworker.

• Agree x 12
  12. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

You know what, I think I'm done. Congratulations, assholes. Your campaign to purposefully make me feel like shit has succeeded. The only reason for me to come back is to get villian ideas for a book, and it won't be under this account.

13. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Greallan, you literally said that you weren't sure if you would approach a coworker who is eating lunch a lunch that you think is unhealthy. It seemed like it was asking advice on whether you should approach a coworker while they're eating a lunch that you think is unhealthy. We've just been telling you the myriad of reasons why you should not. I thought I was answering a question you were posing, so my response seems relevant to what you were saying from my point of view. Were you trying to say something else?

And yes, I am going to keep hitting on this point because I think your opinion is harmful to people. Just like I will keep arguing with someone who has sexist opinions (not you, for the record!). Their opinions are harmful and hurt people so, yes, I will try to change them.

I'm not trying to yell at you. I'm really not. I'm trying to explain. I'm using italics, bold, and underline for emphasis and not yelling.

My understanding of all this is that you don't understand how or why something you're saying is hurtful. So, I'm trying to explain how something comes across as hurtful and why it comes across that way.

If you'd rather have a conversation with me in the Caring Void about this kind of stuff, instead of out in the open, I would be okay with that. That way you wouldn't have multiple people chiming in to say the same things. I would prefer not to have the conversation over PM, but we could ask the other mods to not participate, if that's something you'd want.

I mean if you don't find the things I say helpful at all, that's a different story, lol.

• Agree x 3
  14. Gyro Zeppeli

I mean, yes. Welcome to real life. You being aggravated doesn’t give you the right to bother someone.

If someone’s t-shirt aggravates me, I don’t have a right to walk up to them and explain that I find wearing shirts with corporate slogans distasteful.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Agree x 5
  15. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

oh, is it babyrage time already?

• Agree x 2
  16. Gyro Zeppeli

And thus the cycle of harassing via sockpuppet continues

• Agree x 8
  17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

don't sockpuppet on kintsugi, greallan.

• Agree x 8
  18. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

i disagree, i don't think there's anything wrong with socking on here, especially since we have that sweet sweet no banning policy

and anyway, going by past record she'll reveal herself eventually when she does

it won't change how people respond to you no matter how many socks you make, greallan, because you won't have changed

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  19. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

:mspa:

• Agree x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"Don't mock fat people" as a villain's statement? I think that says it all.

• Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice