r/fatlogic derail

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Athol Magarac, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

Villains, known for their strident opposition to fatphobia, racism, and anti-semitism

• Winner x 2
  2. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

we're all just too politically correct.
    /sarcasm

• Winner x 3
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, that all sounds worryingly similar to the thing in Bad Content Breakdown Jamboree where the hero is a social justice activist and supposed villains are villains because they are also social justice activists while being white.

• Agree x 2
  4. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

As has been in the case in the past, there is no guarantee of privacy for sock puppets used to harass/abuse people on this site.

Also, though, let's please try not to dogpile a flounce even when it's rude. That's not a good look.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Agree x 11
  5. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

To clarify my post:

I am being as blunt and practical as possible. This is how I have chosen to interact with Greallan's threads.
    This is unhelpful and counterproductive. Other users have been trying to convince Greallan that she can leave a conversation when she feels she is being attacked. I don't know if you agree with their efforts, and I don't really care what you decide to do, but I am going to point out that this is unhelpful and counterproductive.

• Agree x 9
  6. versi2

versi2 ???????

I mean, she said she's not coming back, so does it even really matter anymore

7. devils-avocado

Dunno. Wanted to say it anyway.

8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

thus ends another season of what the fuck even is kintsugi drama(?)

• Agree x 3
  9. boop

boop beepbeep

dont say its over too soon

10. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

it is inconsistent as all hell and varies wildly not just from person to person, but from a single person over a course of time.

but yeah, the other thing cortisol will sometimes do while flipping its shot is demand an obscene amount of energy because it decreased the body’s ability to absorb nutrients from food while at the same time making the body work harder and require more food.

in this case, it’s not your pancreas but your digestive system that can’t keep up, and you end up like me

• Informative x 5
  11. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

it may feel unhelpful and counterproductive to you because we have different goals in mind

s'fine by me if you don't like it

eta:

also, the level of "unhelpful" commentary in her threads was pretty bland and surrounded by "helpful" commentary that obviously didn't help at all

the only helpful productive discussion i saw was people making it clear a professional therapist should be the one she talks to but who knows, maybe that poor soul will become Public Enemy #3 for daring to criticize her too harshly as well

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Agree x 2
  12. devils-avocado

Yes, other users were also being catty and unhelpful. It's a free forum and rudeness isn't illegal. I selected your post as one of the most recent and most unproductive, but I did not mean to single you out as the worst offender or whatever.
    This is precisely why I am interacting with these threads as little as possible.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
  13. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

my point was not to say "i'm not the only rude one >:(", my point was that i don't think there's a reason to differentiate *what was helpful or not toneways, because

1) no one was really that rude in the first place, imo (which is why i called the "unhelpful comments" bland)

and 2) none of it helped her anyway and it still wouldn't have even if everyone talked to her like a sad lost kitten and tried to disagree with her as little as possible while she ran around throwing knives at almost every possible demographic this site generally likes to protect

it may have been unhelpful and unproductive for her, but i think being vocally unkind towards shit behavior is helpful and productive for other people and for myself

edit: clarified a sentence

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Agree x 5
  14. devils-avocado

That's on me. I used the reply as a general jumping off point to try and clarify what I was getting at.
    Yes, I'm aware of how these conversations have been going, I have been reading them.
    Do whatever you want, dude.

• Like x 1
  15. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

ah, okay, i thought you misunderstood but actually it was me who did, gotcha

not trying to insult you by stating the plainly obvious, i thought there was a misunderstanding on your part i needed to clear up

same to you? idg this, is it passive aggressive disagreement or

• Like x 1
  16. devils-avocado

I don't have any particular beef with you so it was meant to be a shrug, essentially.

• Informative x 1
  17. Ipuntya

it's not just that you're mimicking bad influences. you see, even autistic people are social creatures. we have our own social rules, with consequences when they are not followed. if someone doesn't use the right pattern for a conversation, the result is a very awkward conversation at best, or being seen as insensitive, rude, and/or offensive at worst. it only gets harder with allistics, because the way they do it is entirely subconsciously. they intuitively and smoothly transition their speech in adherence with where the conversation is. they don't mimic patterns; they do this all naturally.

mimicking bad influences is why people are angry in the first place, but the failure to follow communication rules is why you can't hold a productive conversation to ameliorate things. we struggle to understand your communication bc it doesn't follow any consistent patterns, and are only able to detect when dogwhistles show up in your words without understanding anything else, triggering a negative reaction.

i'm unusual in that almost everything i do i was entirely conscious at some point of doing. nothing social came naturally to me, so i learned every social skill i know by consciously observing other people's behavior, sorting it into patterns, then adopting those patterns for myself. you'll probably have to do that to. look for the consistencies in how people talk during similar social situations. take notes so that you can establish a pattern, then follow those notes so that you can mimic the pattern for yourself, and people will finally understand you. it starts out very hard, but gets easier as you get the hang of it with a lot of effort. even if it isn't second nature to begin with, it becomes second nature with enough practice and study.

my sister ate my entire birthday cake once and i was p miffed at her for weeks.

i didn't choose to get sick on my birthday! >:c

• Witnessed x 7
    • Like x 1
  18. Ipuntya

that wouldn't be advisable, not just because it won't help you but because it won't even succeed. i can think of only one other kintsugijin who talks even remotely similarly to you, and they haven't posted since late 2016. we'd recognize you quickly, probably even quicker than the ppc did due to the forum's nature.

• Agree x 7
  19. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

There's certain things in this thread that I don't want to touch on.

I've been thinking about fatlogic, and no the group wasn't completely bad. I read where some participants confused it for fatpeoplehate, but I don't think the baby should be thrown out with the bathwater.

There was a woman on reddit a while back that I directed to fatlogic. Her gyno had noticed her blood pressure was high, so she decided to try and bring her weight down to remove that risk factor. She lost 19 pounds by the time she got into a proper doc, and he was dismissive of her weight-loss as if he believed she would just gain again. Her gyno told her that she can't count calories forever, but really she could because it can become a habit, and she wasn't looking forward to trying to just eat intuitively. She had to struggle with fat-rhetoric while wanting to lose weight.

There was another person who lost a lot of weight; they had torn-up knees. While getting a consult about treating it, which one option was surgery, they mentioned that they had lost a lot of weight. The knee-doc told them that they had already done the #1 best thing to slow down the damage. They got to the point where trying to climb stairs was not longer met with lancing pain at each step.

Fat people shouldn't be teased "in the wild" because you don't know what their story is, but when they keep trying to tell other people all these excuses why no one can lose weight just to drag everyone else down, their message should be argued with.

20. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Oh for fucks sake not this bollocks again.

• Agree x 30
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice