r/fatlogic derail

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Athol Magarac, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

For more reddit context, r/loseit is strongly linked to r/proED, so anyone reading please be careful.

• Informative x 11
    • Agree x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Well that certainly is, as the kids say
    :yikes:
    and certainly does not encourage me to fight my aversion to reddit's weird ass layout

• Agree x 8
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

old.reddit.com for a less shitty one, BTW.
    I also checked out /r/gainit just in case it had some useful advice for me, but... Not much, though it is better than this one.

• Informative x 2
  4. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

How does one discover what other communities a subreddit is linked with, and how are you defining 'strongly linked' in this instance? I have little reason to believe you'd be misrepresenting this, but the only information on related communities I could find is https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/wiki/related this link and (at least based on /r/ titles) none of them are stricitly pro-eating disorder centric, although I personally wouldn't go on a 1200 cal diet for instance.

5. palindromordnilap

I actually think there are software tools out there for determining the degree of correlation of people posting on multiple subreddits.

• Useful x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

A lot of the times, "strongly linked" reddits have similar user bases and frequent crossover even if they aren't explicitly linking to each other in the sidebars. The similar flair usage would ping as 'same community', and it wouldn't be unsurprising if a lot of r/proED users posted actual dieting tips and questions over on r/loseit, since that's apparently against the r/proED rules, which would lead to a shared community.

I'm not actually involved in either enough to say if it's completely true, but given Beldaran's experience in the area, I'm inclined to believe her. It happens often enough in other similar-but-not-duplicate reddit communities.

• Informative x 8
    • Agree x 4
  7. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I'm going to be so disappointed if this isn't a diet consisting entirely of the blood of one's enemies

• Winner x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I think that's the Vampire Diet

• Winner x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Artemis

@KingStarscream thank you for answer, I do not reddit very much (I read r/nosleep once or twice a week and that's it) and do not know the... social intricacies of subreddits and such. I still don't know what the heck a flair is but this is not an Explain Reddit To Art thread.

• Like x 2
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

(I know you said this isn't Explain Reddit To Art but I think it's useful for everyone else who's a non-reddit user, so I'm going to explain a thing anyways. :P)

A flair can be applied to two things, user or post, but either way it's a lot like our usertitles on Kintsugi. Post flairs function like tags and can be searchable, but user flairs aren't. Different subreddits have different flair rules--some disallow them entirely (r/nosleep may be one of those), some have them applied with moderator actions (r/bestoflegaladvice), some have them open within certain parameters and apply icons as well (r/overwatch), and some are completely user-defined with overarching rules (r/loseit).

r/loseit and r/proED both ask their users to flair their height, weight, ideal weight, and gender identity. So every reply that user makes in a reddit thread has their measurements out there for everyone to see.

• Informative x 6
  11. Artemis

OH THOSE THINGS ARE FLAIR

• Agree x 2
  12. TheOwlet

(for real though, anyone who does the sort of physical activity the term 'warrior' implies ought to be having well above 2000kcal. 1200kcal is already not enough for a human who doesn't do a lot of moving around unless they're like. Very small, or have a really slow metabolism)

• Agree x 6
  13. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

I am extremely wary of diets partially because like.

Well, that article linked early on summed it up. Science wise, they just. Often do not work in the long term at all. Medically assisted weight loss diets can be excellent to drop weight in order to make the lifestyle changes required to keep it off, but fad diets? Hoo. Noooo.

I was at one point forced onto the "soup" diet as a teen, which involved a soup with like 150 calories three times a day. I was allergic to one of the components and not only did I lose no weight, but it was traumatizing enough that I just cannot deal with vegetable heavy or clear soups now without throwing up. I've done plenty of other diets growing up that make me lose ten kilos or so and then rebounded with interest when I was able to eat a normal intake again.

Lifestyle changes are a far more effective means of weight loss. Like I've been working on strengthening my busted ankles so I can walk, and gradually I've been able to walk a little bit further and a little bit further until this week I was able to walk five kilometers with my walker, a massive upgrade from when I got here of 200 meters. That was a bit too far, and I'll scale it back next time, but being able to strengthen parts of my body that had been weakened via repetitive injury and malnutrition has been far more useful to me with weight loss than any diet has ever been.

• Witnessed x 8
  14. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I think maybe they just got confused and left off a zero because this is a warrior diet:

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Wait both my doctor and the therapist said I should be having 1000 to 1200 calories a day, I thought it was only dangerous if you dip under 1000?

16. palindromordnilap

There was probably an "at least" in there somewhere. I've also been advised to get at least 1200 a day no matter what, even if I have to force myself to eat. It's mostly to avoid short-term physical damage, but it's far from ideal.

17. Artemis

As a layperson, it sounds quite low off the top of my head for a maintained caloric intake.

Also as a layperson, I would (generally) trust that your doctor knows more than I do about the topic, and so long as you are not experiencing adverse effects, that you should follow their recommendations.

eta: I wouldn't tell anyone else to start a 1000-1200 kcal diet on their own, but if you are under professional supervision most of my concerns are mitigated. It's not so much the low number by itself as it is "low number and no idea what they are doing with it".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

By therapist I mean nutritionist ;;;;

• Informative x 2
  19. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

... well for starters, Registered Dietician is the only legally protected term in the field, so a nutritionist is not actually a medical professional necessarily?

To me 1200 kcal sounds a bit low too. I just looked up my pharmacy's calculator and my personal absolutely-zero-activity-at-rest daily requirements are 1400 kcal apparently, if I guesstimate my current weight. Again this is like without any activity whatsoever taken into account, so the second you do any sports, or walk/bike places, you'll probably easily want 1600-1800 at LEAST, if you're afab, in your mid twenties and like 5'6" like me?

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  20. TheOwlet

Unless you have a very very slow metabolism, I need to talk to both of these people, like, immediately.
    Are you perhaps remembering your basal metabolic rate? That one is 'the energy you need to do nothing but stay alive' just to keep your body breathing, your brain going etc. That one can be low, but i just ran my numbers through a a few different calculators (since there's different formulas for it) and it ranged around 1400kcal. I am about average size/weight for a german woman. That's just to keep me from not dying. The moment I start doing literally anything else it will go up.
    the BMR is about 50-80% of what you actually need, so if my base is 1400kcal, I would assume that my actual needs are round 1800kcal depending on how much people are rushing me off my feet at work.

So yeah I can accept 1000kcal for a BMR in a petite person, but that's NOT what you actually need if you do literally anything but lay somewhere all day.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice