r/fatlogic derail

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Athol Magarac, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Initially I collected a shitload of quotes, but it was just... too much. No need. It was just a long, long list of people saying "lie! Here's how." And tricks to make people think you actually ate the food. It's high-key pro vibes.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Okay, I was thinking it was something to do with it being a "gay disease" but it got out of that population before the government acknowledged that it was a problem.

And I do hate on the virus. I wish they could cure it or create a vaccine so it goes extinct.

3. Athol Magarac

There are probably pro-anna people on loseit, but which came first or does it feed in a cycle?

I was taught that you never say "I don't want the food" but you make up a white lie about not being hungry or not being able to have something if you don't have an excuse. Anorexia awareness probably makes it seem less rude to get into someone's business about not wanting to eat. "I'm just not hungry" is rarely good enough, and many people don't respect being on a diet anymore. Cake honestly gives me a stomachache, but I don't want someone to think it's a bad lie when I say it doesn't agree with me.

4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

okay this may be a weird cultural disconnect (I am not from the US) but I have never had an issue with saying stuff like "X doesn't agree with me, but thanks for the offer" as a polite way to decline food offers. And I decline like A Lot of food due to having weird arcane dietary restrictions I would not expect anyone but maybe my doctors to be able to follow.
    Most people just go "Aww, sorry!" and then that is that. If I'm a guest somewhere, the host may try to find something else I can eat if the invitation was one where there would be reasonable cultural expectation of Food Happening (like, say, a birthday party or whatever) which is probably something different than just being offered food that was brought to the office.

• Agree x 12
  5. Petra

Petra space case

Just say cake is too rich for you or doesn't agree with you. Most people are going to accept that, and the people who aren't were going to be jerks anyway.

• Agree x 10
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Same. I just say a variation on that ("Thanks, but I can't eat [x]" or something similar). I am from the US, it is not uncommon to say something like that to decline offered food. I also have arcane dietary restrictions, so I do this a lot, and it's totally understood and accepted without me even mentioning that I have a chronic digestive illness.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Agree x 1
  7. Elph

It is related to that, yes. Homophobia is a big part of serophobia, though various other types of prejudice and taboo come into it as well. Acknowledging that it's a problem never stopped governments from continuing to stigmatise and discriminate against the people who have HIV/AIDS, even when this leads to the virus spreading even more. For example, Mike Pence famously refused to lift a ban on needle exchanges in Indiana during an outbreak of HIV; after several years, when the outbreak was declared a public health emergency, Pence permitted needle exchanges to be opened temporarily to get it under control. In other words, he knew needle exchanges would work, but he didn't want to allow them.

Just so you know, everyone feels that way.

Anyway, I strongly recommend reading this article.

• Agree x 1
  8. Athol Magarac

I grew up with the people who voted for him. Maybe not my family specifically since mom uses it as a cussword, but my classmates and such.

Read the article, and I don't think I learned much new. I mean, kinda neat that the woman who found her life's calling happened to own a cemetery.

9. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

That's not quite how it works. Sometimes, you've just got to look at the fucked up things happening out there, and then at what you have whether in terms of skills or material property, and go "what can I do to help?"

• Agree x 6
  10. Elph

I thought it was a very good crash course in serophobia, is all, what with the graphic descriptions of the hatred and cruelty directed towards the AIDS patients.

11. Athol Magarac

Ah, okay. I was alive when educating people about the new epidemic took off. Admittedly, most of what I know came from "Life Goes On."

12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Hell, I just don't like cake. Or chocolate.

People sometimes try to pressure me and I'm just like, nope I don't like the texture not gonna eat it. But that doesn't happen as often.

They just look at me like I have a second head or joke about me being an alien or something and then I joke back and it's fine.

Even with the jokes, which I usually start these days, people aren't that pushy about it.

• Agree x 4
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Confused tone rather than fighty tone here: how many people do you think LIKE AIDS, Athol, except for the uneducated homophobes who want it to kill off all the queers while not realising it kills other people too? That's just reminding me of my hatred for the "anti-pedo pride flags" trend going round - like, congratulations, you (the people using the flags, I mean) want cookies for agreeing with the vast, vast, vast majority?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Agree x 3
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I looked up the "warrior diet" mentioned upthread, and apparently it consists of fasting or only having small protein-based snacks all day and then eating one huge meal in the evening. That's... not gonna be good for your stomach.

• Agree x 6
  15. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

welp, I'm extremely disappointed with humanity now

• Agree x 2
  16. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Oh, its a variation on the crap-yourself-thin ethos, because for a lot of people that heavy meal's going to go through them like castor oil through an incontinent grandparent.

• Informative x 6
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

According to the creator, it was based on how he thinks the ancient Spartan and Roman soldiers did things. Apparently he isn't aware that they, you know, died at an alarming rate.

• Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
  18. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

I don’t think their mortality rates were necessarily related to their nutrition.

That said, I would like to see this guy’s bioarch sources

(spoiler: there probably aren’t any)

• Agree x 6
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Did that most of middle school. I don't recommend it.

• Witnessed x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Well, because of that we don't know if their nutrition would have killed them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice