Rainbow Hair

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Jun 2, 2015.

1. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

wasn't there something with having to henna your head before indigo? I swear I read something like that. mostly I am just like: guys, these are natural, they behave differently. only experiment if you're genuinely going to be okay with wtf hair. :D

my problem with dye is that I grow my roots out super quick and am too lazy to do dye it myself. so, weird hair.

2. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I keep meaning to purple my head but I have SO MUCH HAIR D: so I haven't had enough spoons. My color of choice is Adore #116 Purple Rage... but I can only get it in 4 oz bottles so I always have to get them 2 at a time.

3. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I want to do literal rainbow hair sometime, something along the lines of this:

[​IMG]

Problem is that that hairstyle probably wouldn't work with my face and I've never dyed my hair before so UGH who even knows where to start with something like this. Also possible problems with needing to get a True Professional Job in my field.

4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

That looks really, really cool.

5. siveambrai

siveambrai Negative Karma Engine nerd.professor.gamer

I love the rainbow styles but I just look at them and think, "Ugh, so much time spent dyeing and upkeep". Could @Vast Derp comment on how bad it actually is? I think you rocked one of these for a while.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

I just did this to my head after it being a weird faded brown-blond-blue gradient for the longest. It's Ion's Aqua color, and Ion does something different literally every time I put it on my head but I usually like it well enough. (I had MLP-pink bangs before, which faded to a pretty cotton candy shade, which was all fine except it was supposed to be PURPLE initially.)

My dream is to have mermaid hair, even though I know I'm too lazy to keep it up.

• Like x 2
  7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I know y'all are gonna be sick to death of me saying it but
    WIGS
    wigs are so great! they can be changed out quickly, can have whimsical and more natural styles, you can get pretty much any length and style SOMEWHERE and they only require minimal upkeep. And i mean synthetic wigs aren't that expensive unless you want a 24'' full lace wig in some complicated colors or dip dye or somethign like that.
    I have no experience with real human hair wigs but my addiction to beauty youtubers leads me to believe they can be dyed pretty much exactly like the hair on your head. So. Basically go nuts? They are usually p expensive though afaik.
    I only own synthetic wigs which can't be dyed but come in pretty much all shades thanks to the cosplay and J-Fashion scenes.
    but yeah, especially if you can't have colorful hair due to professionalism, wigs are your friends.

• Like x 1
  8. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

I reallllyyy want to dye my hair mint green or lavender but I know I'd have to bleach it + potentially mix dye on my own and I've literally never dyed my hair before so.. it's daunting already lol.

9. Nochi

@IvyLB Do you need special storage for them? I remember dealing with wigs for my ex's cosplays (I was basically her cosplay manager, which I actually enjoyed) and they went EVERYWHERE after, like, an hour off her head. So much brushing. I'd prefer my crazy hair be my own, but for random color urges a wig or two might not be a bad plan.

@Aniseed I watched roughly four hundred thousand youtube videos before I went anywhere NEAR my head with bleach. It is actually not as harrowing a process as one might think! Helps if you have someone to do the back of your head, though, especially if your hair is long.

10. IvyLB

I just store them in a part of my wardrobe that has some shelf space and a door?
    Like just keep the bags they come shipped in or get ziplock bags yourself and brush them everytime they come off your head before putting them bakc in the bag. Then just pile o' bags on one or two shelves and quickly close the door. There are probably neater ways to do this though. Like cardboard boxes or other organisational tools. Blegh.
    Otherwise for stuff that has complicated styling you wanna keep for more than one wear, wig stands and mannequin heads are gr9, if you can find a place to stand them up in. Like ideally again behind closed doors to prevent dust from settling in too deep but otherwise just shake the wig(s) out once in a while.
    I keep my long-ass dreadlock wig on a mannequin head because the thing is long and heavy and I have no bag to go with it since it's hand modded to that length, If i candyfloss-tease my wigs i keep them on my wigstand. Otherwise everything gets the pins and hairbands stripped out, combed through and it goes back in the bag and into the dark closed storage space.
    wash wigs from time to time. That will keep them neat and non-stinky. For synthetic wig use fabric softener. and cold water. For real human hair there are wig shampoos I think?
    don't use too many styling products and let them air out after wears for a bit and you can stick to washing less frequently than like every 2-3 wears. I wash mine once every ten wears but I let them air out a lot and usually don't use ANY styling products.

• Like x 3
  11. Nochi

@IvyLB Thanks for the rundown! I have a buttload of amazon gift cards coming my way soon, all the mermaid hair will belong to me

12. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

been bleaching my hair blonde since hs, I've done red once and pink recently, going to do it again as soon as possible.

Funny mishap story: I tend to bleach my hair once a year and then let it grow out, so everyone thinks i have intentional ombre. really I'm just lazy. But once I needed brown hair for a cosplay and my head was still half blonde, half my natural color, which was too dark a brown.

SO, I thought I'd be BRILLIANT and buy a light brown dye that was specifically for lightening dark hair, and kill two birds with one stone. Instead, on the blonde parts it turned out like this:

[​IMG]

And that's the story of how I became the Persona 4 protag.

• Like x 5
  13. IvyLB

wow that's a super neat color effect.

14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Today I bought a 25-dollar plant brick and submerged it in hot water until it resembled warm poo, and then stuck it on my head and covered the whole thing in saran wrap.
    (henna. My hair is darker and redder and smells of tea)

• Like x 4
  15. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

i got purple dye today! will have fun with it in a few weeks. demisemiquaver permanent, washes out in 2-3 shampoos apparently. which is great because i'm a color commitmentphobe.

• Like x 4
  16. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Hey, let us know how the washes out in 2 - 3 shampoos thing goes. Now that my hair is almost completely white, it strikes me as the perfect base for some interesting color streaks but I volunteer at the hospital where that is not allowed, so it would have to be super temporary.

17. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

@Ink hair mascara or hair chalks could be an option as very temporary colour streaks, as they would brush or wash out - I've used hair mascara before on very short hair and it worked fairly well (also coloured glitter hairspray which I loved but it shed everywhere).

• Like x 3
  18. IvyLB

if the chalk application is too fussy for you they do make colored hairspray on hair chalk basis sometimes which is easier to use for all over and usually quite buildable from pastel to rich and dark color. Problem would be that you still have to regular-hairspray over that to seal the color against rubbing off. But that also comes right out in the next wash.

• Like x 1
  19. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

HELL YES HAIR STORIES =D

Blue is my favorite color, but unfortunately, all my attempts were eh. First attempt, I think the stylist bleached it too much. It started turning a dark teal very quickly (like not even a full week later) and it made me sad. I tried having it done professionally one other time with a similar result. They both looked really great initially. They were big chunks/streaks of blue in dark brown hair. The bleach made my long, curly, thick hair really hard to deal with though, so I quit for a while, and then for a cosplay dyed it black. Then I left it alone for a year or two until this year, I finally got around to having my friends do my ends purple and it came out AMAZINGLY. It still faded pretty quick, but I liked the colors they faded to. I have a little red in my hair I think, because I got a nice wine color. I just redyed purple again, but next time I'm going to try blue again because it's still my goal (maybe with the light purple/pink base it'll fade to pink instead of green [nothing against green, it's just not one of my colors]...

Results of first bleach: Blonde1.JPG
    Best picture of the first blue attempt: Finally.JPG
    Later blue attempt: cuteblue.jpg
    Black: P8080106.JPG
    Purple: 11170344_10204192452987314_5432729703396520074_n.jpg 11175050_10204192464507602_5754259331949964020_n.jpg

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice