Rainbow Hair

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Jun 2, 2015.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Here are the variety of colors my hair has been - this is all just various combinations and washed-out-ness of the two Manic Panic dyes I have on hand:
    image.jpg
    The first time I did blue it was SUPER bright, like sonic the hedgehog bright, but I'd diluted it with conditioner and so it washed out pretty quickly to...
    image.jpg
    .. this pastel color (excuse the silly face) which stuck around for a while.
    image.jpg
    Then I dyed it purple, which on my yellowish bleach-blonde washed out to..
    image.jpg
    an interesting pink, although some of that may be the lighting.
    image.jpg
    For a while traces of both the purple and blue stuck around near my roots, which looked REALLY COOL.
    image.jpg
    The next time I dyed my hair I parted the long hair in the middle and did one side blue and one side purple, resulting in purple with blue underneath. (In this picture you can see the lighter streaks from me incautiously dying my own hair and missing bits, lol.)
    image.jpg
    Now I'm back to blonde - well, half blonde, the long bit has doubled in length and I haven't gotten it re-bleached because it's a pain - and I think I should dye my hair again soon. I may get more colors of dye and do something exciting, I don't know. :D

• Like x 6
  2. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Ooo has your hair started turning silver yet? I have a friend whose hair is always dyed either blue or pink, and their hair is like kind of silver at the roots now. xD

3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

It was for a while, but it's been long enough - and the dye is impermanent enough - that it's mostly just yellowy blonde now.

• Like x 1
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I just tried to dye my hair alone and it's not a complete disaster, but I think i didn't leave the dye long enough. I had half of my hair bleached, half unbleached, and lat time i could afford a hairdresser a couple months ago i had dyed it with a dark blonde violet red-ish keune color, which had long since faded in the bleached parts to a Trump orange-ish color that's so not #aesthetic. So i got some purple dye to dillute and un-Trumporange my hair, decided why not, and tried to dye it alone.

Results are mixed. it didn't stick as well in the unbleached part but it's noticeably darker and less red, some of the bleached strands got this really pretty ballpoint-pen deep blue/indigoish color, and part of it, mostly in the back when i applied the dye last, got this... steel-grayish color. it's hard to photograph because my phone camera is shit.

I still have half the tub of dye left, so next monday when i'm a bit calmer and with a bit more time to do the parting thing properly i'll try again @@ I really, really like the parts where the dye really stuck. So pretty.

• Like x 1
  5. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

So I used to dye my hair a lot back in my early-twenties/late teens, to the point of changing my hair colour nearly every fortnight. Today I cut my hair and impulse-decided to use a palmful of bleach on it, then used some Directions Neon-Blue on it for the first time in years. (I think it looks more indigo, but I like it anyway.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might layer some rose-red of the same brand to give it a few purple streaks, what do you guys think?

• Like x 5
  6. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

WIN_20160501_12_24_55_Pro.jpg
    my hair still looks cool even tho i got it done like a couple weeks ago!

it's red with purple in the middle and red in the back?

• Like x 7
  7. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

My hair's 50% silver, closer to 70% at the top of my head. I always have an ombre effect when my roots start to grow out. The "not recommended for grey hair" Feria bright pigment dyes are actually great on grey hair, they just don't look natural.

8. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I'll keep that in mind. My hair's like 75% white overall. Started getting them at age eleven. I've been thinking of dyeing it. Just not sure if I should go for the original blue-black or something else, and if something else what would look good.

9. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I was talking about a 20-something person whose hair is just a really light blonde from having bleached/dyed it so much. Sorry for any confusion. xP

10. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of bleaching my hair white (I'm blond.e), but I doubt it's possible.

11. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

It's mechanically possible, for sure. With already blonde hair you'd probably only need one application of strong peroxide bleach, and then a violet toner to correct any yellowness. (I have medium brown hair that is extremely resistant to dye or bleach, and I've gotten it white before.) A salon could do it for you if you didn't want to do it at home.

• Like x 1
  12. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

My hair has been bright purple, anime blue and now it's black-blue. For purple and blue I went with Splat's Lusty Lavender and Blue Envy. You get REALLY bright color for cheap, but it's no joke, that shit gets EVERYWHERE and it stains your skin for days.

For my current hair color I used Feria's Bright Black and holy shit you guys, it's SUCH a good dye. Really rich, shimmery color but it's way easier to apply than Splat and doesn't stain. And it left my hair feeling super soft, I love it. I know it's not strictly a rainbow color but it's still an unnatural shade so IDK, thought I'd share. I want my hair this color forever.

• Like x 1
  13. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

My line of work is one of those where they specify in the dress code that you're only allowed haircolours found in nature. I was always to scared to dye my hair a different colour than what it is (to be fair, it's a really lovely deep, dark brown) and now I can't.

Somehow patients don't really like doctors having weird hair colours :P

• Like x 1
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Obviously you need to dye your hair with blueberries.

• Like x 3
  15. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I personally would be delighted to have a doctor with rainbow hair! But I can see why some wouldn't. XD

16. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I doubt very much that would work on my hair :P

• Like x 1
  17. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Would plant indigo work on pre-bleached hair? Asking for a friend XD

• Like x 1
  18. Mercury

It'll probably turn a weird shade of swamp monster green. If you're looking to get to a natural color, you'd probably be best off doing a two step application of first henna, then indigo. That will get you to brown. If you're looking for an unnatural color, then you need to look into semipermanent dyes - indigo isn't going to get you there.

edit: this site sells samples for $1 each - you could get some of those and do some test dyes to find out for sure. I'm pretty sure they're reputable, that site has been around for a long, long time.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    • Like x 2
  19. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

most likely yes? but it would probably turn out black-blue at best rather than blue from what I've heard! (if it doesn't go swamp green as mentioned above)
    indigo works much the same way as henna from my admittedly threadbare knowledge of googling it once.

• Like x 1
  20. Mercury

It's not going to turn out black alone without a dark base already under it. Henna then indigo is what most people need to get it true black. And yeah, on hair it's pretty much never going to turn out actually blue - the process used for dyeing cloth blue with indigo is not even remotely hair or skin safe.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice